1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Pixel Artwork; Show yours off!

Discussion in 'Art' started by thebonesauce, Feb 26, 2012.

1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

So, aside from gaming, I do simple pixel artwork and develop (but never get very far) with grandiose Flash games. My last game I briefly worked on (before discovering KAG :D) was called And Then, Came Then. It was gonna be very Metroidvania styled, only instead of just action-oriented combat, there was gonna be a Snatcher/Snatcher SD style (look it up on Youtube!) combat system where you had to attack specific parts. It involved landing on a barren planet for terraforming, and discovering a hostile world below the surface, yadda yadda yadda.

So here's some of my artwork I did for the game. (Be warned, the images are fairly small to be able to fit a much smaller resolution Flash game!) Also, the art design is very minimalistic, as I was going for a black and white, dark/drab atmosphere, kinda like HeroCore. (which if you haven't played it, you should!)

[​IMG]
    This was a Bone Dragon, was intended on being a boss somewhere. Was my first ever pixel art work, and I'm still very proud of it.

[​IMG]
    This was a Creep, a creature that roams around on it's hind legs and attacks with large, blade-like feet.

[​IMG]
    This was a simple idea, one of the more simple creatures known as a Cursed One. It was supposed to react to sound and would shriek causing damage.

[​IMG]
    This would be the hero, John Arrison. Simple space armored terraforming warrior. Bleh.

[​IMG]
    This is a Sentry, a robot that couldn't be alarmed or you would have a tough enemy on your hands.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I was really into the whole Slenderman creepypasta and the Marble Hornets series at the time. I'm not very happy with how Slendy turned out, and putting him in the game was kind of stupid. He was to be a powerful boss who spawned Slenderlings, the small, crablike thing next to him.

[​IMG]
    And finally, a Dark Priest type monster that I got a little too carried away with in the details of it. It's a little too messy for me to enjoy.

I may end up uploading some more stuff, but that Bone Dragon is one of my most notable things I've ever made.

2. zapunch

zapunch Catapult Fodder

Nice I've tried pixel art I'm ok at it...

3. tlc2011

tlc2011 Base Burner

Not bad, i don't like the Slenderman one, though - Then again, i don't like the creepypasta in general.

4. Kater

Kater Horde Gibber

I think you put much into it, so i think it's realy good!

butterscotch likes this.
  5. Hal

Hal Shopkeep Stealer

First attempts at pixel art.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. zninja

zninja Shopkeep Stealer

leBox4.gif
    Animated in GIMP 2.6.10

7. tlc2011

tlc2011 Base Burner

Really nice!

butterscotch likes this.
  8. GrimWaltz

GrimWaltz Shopkeep Stealer

[​IMG]
    Made on my very first try :p Was just checking out the possible stuff.

I used: http://piq.codeus.net/

It's a cool little thing to use. And it's perfect for some experience building. :)
    I think I'll be fooling around on there a little more. It's really easy to use so everyone who ever wanted to try pixel art, give it a shot! :) It's cool, easy and free.

9. Auri

Auri Tunnel Addict Donator Tester

Awesome stuff bonesauce!
    Here's a dump of screens and sprites from a couple unfinished games...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. thebonesauce

Auri, those are fucking rad. I'm jelly of your talent with this shit!

And a wizard turning me into a dog IS awesome! What kind of engine did you use for those games? Were you just coding them?

Cirom, Guitarman and Ghozt like this.
  11. Auri

Umm the first one I was originally making in AGS but then scrapped that version and started remaking it in Flash/AS3 using FlashPunk. The second I haven't even started coding yet lol, but I figure I'll make it in Flash once I figure out what to do with them. They are both on semi-hiatus because I've been pretty busy the last few months and I expect I'll be busy in the near future too.

12. thebonesauce

Yeah, it's always tough coding Flash, even with the help of FlashPunk and stuff. I tried my hand with Construct and suck with it, and then started using Stencyl which is much, MUCH easier to use. But it does have quite a learning curve. Even coding a simple gun mechanic (where pressing X will have you fire one bullet) is a nightmare.

13. Auri

Idk, I've made a few games, just not something with the huge scope that I want to make these games.

14. thebonesauce

Same. And nothing I've released to the public. And Then, Came Then was gonna be my magnum opus; I had worked with RPG Maker 2000/2003 for a long, many years, and never really released anything worth talking about. After playing through La-Mulana and having some Star Guard on the side and the graphical inspiration of HeroCore, And Then, Came Then was gonna be a cross between the two. A heavily exploration focused action platformer with strange, unorthodox enemy types and blah blah blah blah blah. It's a little too much for one person to handle.

15. Auri

Sounds awesome though, lol.

16. thebonesauce

It's something I would love to pursue but holy shit, I was swamped just doing the initial coding. Hahaha. If I ever got a little better (I might actually check out flashpunk) with coding I'd definitely like to try again. Since the art style is minimalistic it was pretty simple to make chipsets for levels and level design.

17. synthesispandabot

synthesispandabot Bison Rider

If there's one thing i suck at with pixel art, it might be shading and smoothing.
    [​IMG]
    Still loving it though.

Gamerbro and Mulpy like this.
  18. FG

FG Fran Donator

whats your favourite colourful alien?

19. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Auri made this RPG where you are a puppy and instead of fighting people you try to bark at them more than they can bark at you. You mashed the spacebar and your dog would go "yapyapyap" and it was overwhelmingly adorable.

Unfortunately the download is broken. :(

jerloch likes this.
  20. GrimWaltz

GrimWaltz Shopkeep Stealer

Any way to get it back online? :p Seems fun xD