1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Humans vs Bots: Thought Experiment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KingKongGoblin, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Except if they are tickets wasters. :shad:

2. KingKongGoblin

KingKongGoblin Shipwright

I think 'bots are dumb' is a little simplistic sometimes. There is a difference between bot dumbness and human dumbness, I think killing yourself with the spike trap you just built is very human ... not that I do that ... often. :shad:

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  3. ConmanMC

ConmanMC Catapult Fodder

Neutral. I don't really bother with other players. I play the builder, and I eyeball situations and see if I can make something useful based on that. I try to help out whoever is near me fight more efficiently. Essentially, I treat most players like bots (or treat everyone like players, depending on how you see it), especially since KAG chat is up top, and I have to go out of my way to keep up with it. I feel like more people would be focused on winning this way.

I would find it a bit less immersive because it would feel less personal, I suppose.

But I would feel like it's funner that way.

Froghead48 likes this.
  4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Interesting topic here. :)

Personally, I'd have to answer 'less' to both questions. The reason? Bots lack empathy --> whether it be positive empathy (you're stuck in a hole/need a heart/have catapult you're trying to nurse towards the front lines/etc.) or negative empathy (other people watching you die rather than helping you out/building structures right where you didn't want them too/simply being irrational and hard to understand/etc.), the ability for humans to comprehend & illicit emotions in other humans (even without speech/facial expressions/body language - simply through situational happenings and actions) is something that is so incredibly contextual, subtle, intangible that I doubt it could ever be satisfactorily accounted for with lines of code --> least ways, not this side of our completely understanding ourselves - and goodness knows when that will be.

That said, the idea of trying to find a place where bots (like some animals) act in ways that we human-types perceive in emotional terms (not displaying human emotions, strictly speaking, but still...) is just amazing. I just find it facinating and more than a little compelling to wonder: what could possibly be possible? Who knows... :D

5. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

WHO IS THIS MR. BEAN GUY?!?!?!?!?

6. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Him --> :migrant:

7. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

-.- i give up.

8. FuzzyBlueBaron

Lol! I can understand that. :P

Seriously though (:@ <-- serious face), no more off-topic. ;)

9. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  10. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

When bots have appeared in TF2 lots of servers started to use them.They've given bots ping values,as well as "non-bot" nicknames.
    So,when you are going for a killing spree and suddenly realise that you've been killing bots,and chatting with yourself,you can imagine.Everytime something like this happens I feel great discomfort,and usually I lose mood for playing completely.

Playing with mixed players and bots is a terrible experience.
    Pure players is the only way for Kag.And most other games.

11. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

I think this is an ambitious experiement but bots arent advanced enough in terms of things like building to pull it off.
    For example, to tell who is and isnt a bot, you could just do something like put a stone box around them and see how they react, watch them in battle, or simply see if they make emoticons relevant to whats happening.

12. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

I think severely restricting communication is the only way to make bots indistinguishable from humans, and communication is a big draw for me. KAG is very much a social game, and the quality of the community is a big part of why I play. Thus, it would be less enjoyable and less immersive to play with bots.

13. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

If there was social ambiguity in this game, count me out. People know that I tend to get quite chatty and like to say some expletive when I die, and there's nothing more disconcerting than joining a server where I'm the only person talking (and it has happened). One reason why I like our server and Rayne's server, everyone is chatting it up and we're all goofing around and talking shit. I can always tell when I'm isolated.

Chinizz and allknowingfrog like this.
  14. KingKongGoblin

KingKongGoblin Shipwright

Thanks to all the people who posted, the content of your brain is most useful

TheFilip, thebonesauce and Chinizz like this.