1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Best devs and community?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Inexorable, Mar 29, 2012.

?

Best community and devs? Yay or Nay?

1. Yay

32 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. Nay

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. knightl

knightl Base Burner

Bethesda doesn't leave games, espically when DLC is planned and the pre release of their next patch is in CB

yeah false info there buddie

and if you mean terraria well the devs left a while ago and this was mentioned before so no point bringing it up even when i pointed it out too....

2. Inexorable

Inexorable The おっぱい lovin' nipple wizard. Donator

Ite, chill out everyone, oh ima start bustin heads.

3. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

That's not a fair comparison. Skyrim fully supports modding while Terraria relies on awkward hacks.

BlueLuigi and Rayne like this.
  4. TheFilip

TheFilip Ballista Bolt Thrower

Whatever you say, guys. I'm not going to change my mind.
    I chatted and played with the Terraria devs and they are very nice people.
    So my list (the one i made some posts above) still persists.

5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

A nice person isn't necessarily a good dev:shad:.

Riletyface, GrimWaltz and Chinizz like this.
  6. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I have no idea why, but I pictured Shad saying that and laughed uncontrollably. :shad:

TheFilip and GrimWaltz like this.
  7. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

...Anyways, to hopefully get off the topic of Terraria, there is one thing that haunts me, which I'll present as a small cautionary tale:
    Around 2 years ago, I had started to play Minecraft before there was even a survival mode. The forums were fun, and the community was small. As Survival Test, Alpha, and then Beta MC were released, there was an everflowing current of players. Survival Test was possibly the most pleasant time; A time where Notch released usually bugless content updates, weekly. Then, I don't mean to hop on the bandwagon and just attack Notch -- but as it was very noticable, Notch seemed to cave, lose his drive, and sluggish improve upon the game that garnered hundreds of thousands of players. :shad:

The biggest problem, IMO, wasn't even the devs. Go to the Minecraft forums: They are a complete clusterfuck of spammy posts.

The issue was this: Minecraft is/was a game with a wonderful framework, but alone is relatively boring. The usual thought is "That's where mods come in!" But even mods, given the largely messy cluttered forums are a pain to browse through and of the 200+ pages of some single mod, chances are at least 30% of it is just "good job :notch: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond:".

Minecraft did not in any way prepare for the torrent of players, and because of it the modding community, discussions, forums, and players of Minecraft are, in general: Abominable.

Please, let's all work so this never happens.

Contrary and BlueLuigi like this.
  8. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

If web staff dont stay on their game a large influx of players:shad:would be even worse for KAG since it is PvP focused.

9. Inexorable

Inexorable The おっぱい lovin' nipple wizard. Donator

You guys! The title isn't Baww thread okay? Jeez, lighten up you emos. :shad: shad faces are now mandatory for posts in this thread.

I hate how everyone thinks that the game getting more popular is going to ruin the community, c'mon guys, do the swarms of newblets even post in the forums, nope, and they pretty much don't affect gameplay either, unless they are not in equal amounts on both teams, they are quite useful really, dumb enough to soak up arrows for you and run back through a team door letting you into the enemy base etc.

They'll stop playing soon I reckon. Coz its a real niche game.:shad:

GrimWaltz likes this.
  10. Carver

Carver Meitantei-san Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

You misinterpret my message: :shad:
    Popularity will not ruin the game. Not being prepared to handle the influx of players and spike in content might.

Riletyface and BlueLuigi like this.
  11. GrimWaltz

GrimWaltz Shopkeep Stealer

Alright,

I have never joined a forum before, ever.
    I never felt the need to join a forum for any game and/or state my opinion in an all rounded "omg I love this game" setting in an honest way. I enjoy discussion, so conflict is not my fear, but pointless amounts of messages without any discussing and only opinion arrows shot at each other make me feel like I'm in the center of a midget fight. And thus, though hilarious, can not be taken seriously.

I played KAG for two days and on the second day I decided to buy premium membership.
    I already said before I hardly ever give out money for a game, so this being one of those games gave me good hope. As the thoughts that I believed I should support this game swam trough my mind, I decided, if I'm going to become a premium member, I better take some time to see how I could become better at playing the game. Also obviously, as the game is an alpha build, I, as everyone, was curious as to how future development will be used to create the game and what kind of other stuff will be implemented.

So, if I wish to know all this, where do I need to go?
    The forums, exactly.

I entered the forums as a visitor and checked around a bit. Firstly I noticed how the forum had an "suggestions" thread, what I was really exited about. Why? Because, this meant that every player (so not even premium player) had an influence on the game. Either positive or negative. So in other words, ever person matters.

As I was frolicking trough the forums I eventually visited the dark side of the forums. Yes, the SPAMCAN.
    And that proved me, that the forum wasn't only uptight elitists, but goofy human beings too.
    In fact, the spamcan is where people are most like themselves. Why? Because it's a place to relax, enjoy and eventually bond with people.

Next thing I witnessed was the guard/premium/member system. Green/Gold/Blue. And as I saw that the guards in the general forums were more serious, they were honest and a silliness wasn't repressed. I enjoyed seeing guards actually joining the spamcan posts, meaning they didn't do this for money, but they just really enjoyed the game and have good hearts.

Also, I was a total alien to IRC and forum's. But seeying the guards put so much effort to help other people out, even if player's questions sometimes were so retarded, redundant or repetitive. I knew I had found people who actually cared, and I would gladly help out as best as I can, as I knew they would do so too, for me.
    Then suddenly while checking out FuzzyBlueBarron's signature, I noticed there was in game support for cheating. I'm talking about the "!guard" command. Something which shows true dedication to the game.

These were some of the reasons that eventually convinced me: "Yes, I want to become premium. Yes, I want to help this game. Yes, I want to help the community. And Yes, this will be my first online community joining ever."

I have had a wonderful time in the forums as well as on IRC. I became a member of the forums, the same day I got my premium membership. And slowly I started browsing, replying and laughing.

Until I encountered a problem during an in game experience, which I needed to get some light shined upon. This resulted in my very first thread posting: What if moderators cheat?
    Using common sense and wishing for a better evolution for the game, I searched the forums before I posted to see if anyone already had posted something like mine, but I found no answers, and I realized this really needed to be addressed. Miaow would be the first guard to ever help me and has kept on helping me ever since. :)

I felt welcome and I enjoyed the fact that even though my premium membership wasn't visible yet, so I looked like a free player, still so much care and respect was given to my thread and many helpful suggestions pored in. From Guards as from Members.

Slowly but steadily I started becoming familiar with the forum, the game and it's community. Obviously the names of the Guards were quickly learned, but after that I started having discussions or rather, simple response type comments in the spamcan and other fields of the forum. Members such as: Keyofdoor, Drafiks, Chinizz, Downburst, GHOZT, FuzzyBlueBaron, Feet, Dark_Ham, and the list goes on started to feel less as strangers to me and I realized I was becoming more and more a part of this community.
    And more and more, I started to enjoy the community and feel thankful, both to the dev's as to every single person that make up the brotherly side of the community. :)

As on IRC, I kind of made it my goal to minimum catch one griefer a day that was disrupting gameplay. :p
    I really wanted to help out. :) But slowly, I also noticed guards liked to "slack" on IRC too :p as too not being on duty. Which I can fully understand, they are people with lives too or want to have fun on KAG as well. :) So, I felt, as a community member and as I started to slowly learn more and more stuff and saw more and more of the same kind of forum post's. That at least I could help out the guards too. Helping out with double thread posting and simple questions which could easily be helped. Or just explaining forum rules.

Slowly getting more used to the forum, I started my own suggestions, thread, group and helping out other groups who have the same goal as me. :)

I started enjoying the community so much, I spent more time on the forums than on KAG. :p (This also being because of build 345, that kinda blocked any enjoyable gameplay for a while) Also, accessing the forums between or during classes was easier then accessing KAG and playing a full out KAG match.

I have had my little jokes with Geti too on IRC and just by seeing how people kid about the dev's, it's more than certainly clear that the dev's are awesome people and have very kind hearts. Even though I don't get the whole chin thing yet, as it's a mystery to me. (I guess I had to be there) it doesn't reduce the lol factor after reading a couple of hundred comments about chins... XD I honestly think I couldn't say the word "chin" without the regular forum goers not thinking of either Geti's or Shadlington's chin.

All out, yes, I'm very happy of joining the community and my premium membership. :) and most certainly, I do agree it's the best. And together we could make it even better!

I don't think i'll be leaving this forum any time soon. I have become accustomed to many members and the community as a whole. Each with their own quirks, of course. :)

As KAG is spreading and will be getting higher numbers of members, I'm sure the community will grow too. There will be a time that new guards will do their rising, and more supervising will have to take place. Certainly countering spam posting and new players.

Communities mostly get killed by over crowding or regulars leaving, causing chain migrations. But I don't think this will be so much a problem within the KAG community. I have a feeling that all people that are within the core of the regular KAG community will always keep each other in their hearts and that this bond with them, won't die easily.

A slight change that might come into the forum handling will be biting down a bit harder on spam threads and spamming as a whole. But bad intentions can be easily spotted and banning (if not already existent) might become a reality, but knowing the Guards, I don't sense them abusing this power. And as such, the community won't go down easily.

Idiot's and crybaby players can always rise up, but when more guards will be active, this kind of behavior can be quickly eliminated. As griefers right now, apart from bugs, are our biggest worries, when we finally find a full solution to ending griefing, the forum will be saved too. All we need to do now is stand strong together.

Another thing that helps KAG and the forums so well is that this game isn't luck or pay based. But skill based. The more you play, the better you sharpen your skill, the more known you become. New players won't quickly join the forums and even if they do, if they can't keep up with the skill-level, the came eventually becomes dull. As no one likes dying over and over and over again.

No matter how the forums change, I have a feeling that the core community won't be blown away easily. And this is a reason why I would stay within the core community, trying to help out both sides, and eventually making this an enjoyable place for everyone who has KAG in their hearts, as anyone who's a regular on this forum has KAG and the community in their hearts and has proven so. :)

EDIT: I GOT STILL MORE STUFF TO POST :eek: WHAT IS THIS 10000 CHARACTER LIMIT YOU TALK OF?! Someone reply so I can post the rest xD
    :shad:

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

just double post, but be warned you'll likely be tldr'd by many a forumite. :shad:

Riletyface likes this.
  13. GrimWaltz

GrimWaltz Shopkeep Stealer

I want to thank the Dev's for creating this game, giving us so much fun and respect, and making this community possible. :) *gold star for you guys*

I want to thank every KAG Guard for all the awesome people they are! For the job they do and take time to do, and for their help with any person, no matter how annoying it can be at times. :) *gold star for you guys too*

I want to thank the core community, for being this amazing group of people that support each other, the guards, the devs and the cause. For having fun with each other and helping the community to strive to a natural beauty. :) *gold star for you peeps too! Even though you have no official title, you shouldn't be forgotten. And you will not be forgotten as you in fact too are a piece of KAG that can't be overlooked even without a title.*

And last but not least, I want to thank every person in the community, from the beginner to the expert, for sticking around, supporting the game and forum, being active and actually forming another aspect of the whole KAG experience!

P.S. I want to thank Shadlington or who ever made this feature, for making the forums SAVE MY COMMENT EVEN IF I ACCIDENTALLY GO BACK TO A PREVIOUS PAGE. God, how many times have I been outraged by this stupid not saving thing after typing a long ass comment and accidentally press backspace and it takes me back to a previous page, and when heading back, LOSING MY ENTIRE POST! AAARGH! This always make me flip out; be pissed and refusing to write it again all over. I'm not certain how this came into existence here, but for whoever played ANY ROLE in this: *sticks your head full with golden stars* You have no idea how many times you have saved my life and comment! THANK YOU!

Thank you Geti, I know. :) I kept them in spoiler tags for that reason with a small summary. People who cared can read it, people who don't can just skip to the important bit. That is why I needed to add this last part. ^^
    and now that I get the chance, I want to thank you personally for giving us KAG, the community, and for giving us such a good time. :)
    :blank::blank: :shad::shad::shad:
    - :shad: GrimWaltz :shad:
    :blank::blank::shad::shad::shad:
    :blank: :blank::blank: :shad::blank::blank::blank::blank::shad:
    :blank::blank::shad::shad::shad::blank::blank::shad:
    :blank::shad::blank::shad::shad::shad::shad:
    :blank::shad::blank: :shad::shad:
    :blank::shad: :blank: :shad::shad:
    :blank: :blank: :shad: :blank: :blank: :shad:
    :blank::blank::shad::blank::blank::blank::blank::shad:
    :blank::blank::shad: :blank: :blank: :blank: :shad:
    :blank::blank::shad::blank::blank::blank::blank::shad:
    :blank::blank::blank:

Riletyface, Inexorable and Beef like this.
  14. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Dwarf fortress community ftw!
    Imo, thats the best community ever, just because its filled with in-jokes.
    Okay, toady may not be the best dev ever, he doesnt reply much, but im pretty sure he watches the forums. (that cant be said about notch).
    Anyway, im not saying this community is bad, mostly very mature and fun people to hang around whit, so its a very good community :D
    The minecraft community USED to be good, back in the days when it was small, you could have people making great creations and asking questions about things not yet discoverd, neat science threads about fire and such, now, not much like that, now its just a retarded community that does not create any fun for me. This really made me believe that big community = retarded community.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  15. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

Durr :shad:. No really this game has epic devs, mods/guards and a fantastic community. I said that to summarize what was going to be a 100 line description.

Inexorable likes this.
  16. TheFilip

TheFilip Ballista Bolt Thrower

Or, in other words, 90% of his Tweets were about vacations that he did, is doing, or is going to do. The other 10% was him actually developing Minecraft.

17. nuggitx

nuggitx Shopkeep Stealer

KAG THE BEST INDIE GAME EVER !!!!!!! :migrant::migrant:

no delete pls

18. Dodge999

Dodge999 Shipwright

Kag should be one of the best 2d games of 2011 it should be on machinima or ign i dont know why it isnt its a great game realy friendly community and other stuff the creator is great i understand the team dosent get paid and they do it for the fun of it i trust i dont know for facts but it seems like it because pure love is going into the game i hated 2d games but now i cant get enought of kag zombie multiplayer :)

//edit from Kouji: merged this thread here because we already have one on it

19. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

It's always gladdening to see people so supportive and caring! :D

I think one of the reasons it won't be 2d game of 2011, if it hasn't already been so, is because it's 2012. Maybe if we invent a time machine....

20. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

Meh im happier with the smaller community I'd rather not have the game be exposed so quickly.

jerloch and Beef like this.