1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Failed Authentication Crash

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Bask, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Bask

Bask Catapult Fodder

Ok, the following thing happens, i can see the news (couldn't before but works now),
    when i login i can see the servers, but when i try to login i get the
    Code:
    Could not connect to authentication server
    I have seen the thread with the 443 port problem, which i will check,
    but half of the times it also freezes my system. I get 3 fast black flashes within half a second and it freezes the screen, but the music keeps playing. Sometimes I can force quit it, but mostly it just freezes everything.
    I haven't had any problems in Singleplayer, but the crash is connected with being unable to connect.

I'm running OSX Leopard 10.5.8
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
    Graphics: kHW_NVidiaGeForce9400MItem, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, sppci_pci_device, 256 MB

KAG Engine (build: 345 version: 0.95A) King Arthur's Gold (build: 349 version: 0.91A)

I have copied the crash-report, if it's of any use.
    Doesn't fit in 1 message though. Could maybe paste it in 2 spoilers in separate messages if anyone thinks it would be of use.

Jermex likes this.
  2. Jermex

Jermex Shopkeep Stealer

Yeah whats up with this?

3. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

When you get the "Could not connect to authentication server" error, what is the rest of the message? In order to help, I need the entire error message including the "Additional Information" part. I can't help without the full error message

You can save the crash report to a text file and attach it to your post.

edit: also, I see some successful logins from your account and IP address around 8-10 hours ago - did it used to work? Was that on a different computer? If it used to work, what changed between when it worked and when it didn't?

Sorry to barrage you with questions, I just need all the information available and anything else you think might be relevant.

Jermex are you having problems or just commenting? I see successful logins and server joins for you, as recent as 2-3 hours ago.

Jermex likes this.
  4. Bask

Bask Catapult Fodder

No problem, i'm happy to give you all the details you need.
    The weird thing is that nothing has changed, i don't have a firewall installed, i do have little snitch (keeps unwanted connections in check) but that's set to let all by KAG through. I could login to my account, the crashes were mostly when logging onto a server, until at some point 3 or 4 account login attempts also crashed the game and twice the system.

The error is the Curl error; "couldn't resolve hostname" and right after it crashes the game.

What i have found out is that if i just close the game my system doesn't freeze, but if i click somewhere in the screen i get the 3 black flashes and it freezes. I get my mouse back, but nothing reacts.
    My system has run smoothly ever since i got it (3 years), only 2 times i've experienced a crash was with Minecraft modding shenanigans. I understand that this is Alpha and a lot of work is still to to be done, but i must say, the game looks awesome.

I just got that Curl error when logging in to my account again.
    Playing offline is still not a problem, but let's face it, it's definitely a multi-player game. XD

I think JermEx is just really anxious to play with me online. ;)

Attached Files:

Jermex likes this.
  5. FliesLikeABrick

Thanks Bask,

can you either post here or start a conversation with me and share the output of "ipconfig /all" on the windows command line? you can copy and paste it from the black cmd window. let me know if you need additional instruction, some people do/some don't :)

6. FliesLikeABrick

Bask PMed me and indicated that this was fixed by the most recent set of bugfixes

7. Bask

Bask Catapult Fodder

Ok, still not totally. When i can connect, which is most of the time everything is well.
    But it still crashes when i get the curl error.
    Will look at router software update (which i doubt is available) and/or another DNS service.

8. FliesLikeABrick

I just looked at the crash log you attached -- it's actually crashing in an openGL call. I will need to have MM look at this, I have a feeling maybe there's a race condition or something not initialized correctly when the curl calls fail.

Jermex likes this.
  9. Bask

Bask Catapult Fodder

Ah ok, thanks for letting me know.

Jermex likes this.