1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Notch starts development on new game

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Miauw62, Apr 5, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Notch has started developement on a new game, and it sounds quite intresting, actually.
    The story is this:
    In a sort of fallout-like future (minus nuclear war) the space race never ended, and space travel for rich companies and people is very common, then a new module for a popular 16-bit computer comes on the market, its a deep sleep capsule. but due to a bug in the programming, it makes people sleep for billions or millions of years, instead of one year. After the first people wake up, this game takes place. Every space-ship has a certain amount of wattage, and everything you do drains the wattage, for example, if you had a cloak shield and wished to activate it, you would have to dim all lights and disable most other systems.
    The special thing about this game, that makes me want to play it (even tough notch's not-so-positive reputation) is the fact that every ship has a 16-bit computer on it, that you could use to do complex things automaticly, or just play a game while something finishes. Another thing is that notch will try to keep it as realistic as possible, so no unlogical disney-like things.

Anyway, what do you think?

(also, sorry if this was posted before, i did a search on the word notch, but i didnt find anything)

zmas likes this.
  2. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Does it have multiple players controlling the same spaceship ala Subspace: Continuum?

if not, not interested

3. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Nope, it will have a universe where everybody is togheter and such, like EVE online, or WoW, for a monthly fee.
    (singleplayer wont require monthly fee tough)
    Mayby he'll add it, cant be sure now

4. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

pff wheres the fun in a spaceship crewed by one man

Gofio, Rem and Worm like this.
  5. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

From what I can tell, ships are controlled by the on-board computers, and who knows in what way they'll be programmed?! :D
    Also, for the record, the game is called 0x10^c, which is a billion in hex, in case you cant read the website. :P

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yea, looked a bit retarded, he probably wasted all his money on underage girls and needs more.

Bly, Noburu, Rem and 2 others like this.
  7. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

I know about the title.
    And he says he'l release the pc specs soon, i hope lua, if im going to buy it. im really not sure, given his reputation.
    Mayby he'll delay it so he can go on another vacation.

8. Wonkyth

Are these the specs your looking for?
    Since it's a 16-bit computer, Lua is hardly an option, sorry. It's all assembly! :D

9. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Okay [/intrestingame]
    Lua is just about the only thing i can mayby kind of program a bit in :P
    Also, thanks for posting them. i dont really need them but still thanks

10. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

nerd game for nerds

nightcrala09, AJ, Noburu and 2 others like this.
  11. smalltrouble

smalltrouble Shipwright

The concept seems interesting but like Minecraft, Notch will likely promise a bunch of stuff and never deliver on it. Being able to program your own ship seems interesting but we shall see what the extent of it is.

Noburu likes this.
  12. Halosnake

Halosnake Shopkeep Stealer

Notch (and the whole Mojang team) are having way to many balls in the air at the same time it feels.
    Minecraft still dont have Adventure Mode, And have someone heard anything more about Scrolls or Cobalt?
    And now they are starting at another game...

Btw Miauw62 I am honored that someone quoted me and use it as a signature xD

Noburu likes this.
  13. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

Cobalt is not being developed by Mojang as far as I know. They are that game's publisher. Notch is no longer working on Minecraft and he also not the lead designer for Scrolls. These are being created and maintained by other people in his staff.

Notch did very well with Minecraft and has therfore been able to expand his business, creating Mojang, hiring new people. I would say it is all fine really. If this new game can do anywhere near as well as Mincraft then he will be able to expand his enterprise even further!

zmas, Wonkyth and Rem like this.
  14. JackMcDaniels

JackMcDaniels Haxor

Minecraft was pure luck for notch, he will never be able to produce anything that will even come close to the amount of sales minecraft has made.

Plus minecraft is not finished yet and he hasn't delivered on half the stuff he promised.

Mojang will never expand past minecraft, and when minecraft dies out so will mojang unless they actually do come up with something original and extraordinary, which doesn't look to be happening any time soon.

Noburu, Jackard and Ej like this.
  15. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Or maybe he will linger on like George Lucas, releasing one terrible thing after another

16. synthesispandabot

synthesispandabot Bison Rider

But,
    I do accept our new Swedish bearded game developer overlord

17. Wonkyth

Hell yeah!
    /me puts on his robe and wizard hat.

KnightGabe13 and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  18. Cadbury

Cadbury You can't escape. Donator

It's going to be buggy as hell and underdeveloped.

19. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

Woah, so much hatred toward Notch and Mojang, wtf ?

I hope this game will be extremely complicated, with a permanent world where computers can be fully programmed. Imagine a player programming a Pong game inside the game ! Gameception ! And they could create targeting systems, automatic rocket shields etc. from scratch ! I'm having a nerd boner now.

If the game is successful and works well, it could be a really great introduction to programming for young players (and older ones) and very fun :D

Bly, FuzzyBlueBaron, Beef and 2 others like this.
  20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I wouldn't say its a fallout like future (way more scifi and doesn't look so US focussed) but it looks interesting. We'll see how it goes, I was interested when he posted the specs because the ASM would be quite a bit more intuitive to read than most. I'm with kiro, why so much hate?

Bly, FuzzyBlueBaron and Wonkyth like this.
Mods: BlueLuigi