1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

European Guards Vs The World Delayed (also post event ideas/suggestions)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Fellere825, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

The European Guards Vs The World event will be delayed due to the instability of the new build and schedule changes with the European guards. We are currently reorganizing the structure and how we will carry out future events.

Personal Note: I'm extremely sorry :( I wanted this to happen just as much as y'all but everything kind of went down hill for the planning of this event :( I'll make sure everything is better next time and the next event will be more fun. Hopefully new features will be added in order to streamline event hosting.

Secondary Note:
    I want this thread to also have the dual purpose of hearing suggestion's for future events. Tell us what y'all want and how y'all would theoretically go about implementing/hosting such an event. Don't be shy and share your ideas. You don't have to limit yourself to just regular old KAG matches. (For example s17 and I figured out a way to play hockey with kegs and ladder stadium. Its still just an idea but with a ton of tweaking it could be extremely fun.)

2. Koolala

Koolala Shopkeep Stealer

Here is an idea for a more organized way to get Premium players in the event:

1. Firstly, at the time of the event, you need to know how many guards are online and ready to play.
    2. Have two servers:

Server 1: The main playing server. Make this server have a password. Set the player count to be twice as the number of ready Guards from Step 1.

Server 2: Premium player waiting room server. Set the player count of this server equal to the number of ready Guards from Step 1. You could also make this server also have a password.
    3. Tell all the Guards from Step 1 the password to Server 1. Get them all on there correct team.
    4. Fill Server 2 with Premium players. If you gave Server 2 a password, have the password to this server on the main event thread.
    5. Once Server 2 is full, announce Server 1's password to Server 2.
    6. Everyone from Server 2 joins Server 1. Close Server 2.
    7. When the match ends, reopen Server 2. Let it fill with a fresh batch of players. Let the Premium players still in Server 1 leave and join Server 2 if it doesn't fill. (This step is an attempt so players who have not been playing have first come first serve)
    8. Restart Server 1 with a new password and announce it to the Guards. Once they are ready, announce it in Server 2.
    9. Repeat.
    Some obvious flaws with this system:
    1. Ping bans making you lose players. You could announce the Server 1 password globally after the start of the map.
    2. Players telling friends who are not in Server 2 the password to Server 1.
    3. People leaving right when a match ends to rejoin Server 2.
    EDIT:
    Also, keep the main event thread constantly updated with news. This means making sure that the creator of the thread has access to editing it during event times.

kl4060, Iamaclay, illu and 2 others like this.
  3. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

reply to #2 --

just write a custom something (irc bot, web page, etc) that queues people up then PMs them the game password
    during build phase anyone not on the 'proper' list is banned

then for game #2, just run a "if name was in game1" query or whatever

Downburst likes this.
  4. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

KAG is not made for chatting, let's use IRC indeed. Chatting on a server with 50 people will be a total mess, no personal messaging, no mute, etc.

Other than that, main problem is we can't have 20 guards on-line at the same time (especially while playing on a server that's on another continent lagging around with 50 other people).

5. Koolala

Koolala Shopkeep Stealer

There are most likely tons of ways to have a chat room with a capped limit on occupants.

Also, have a FAQ on the main thread that will answer common IRC questions like: "Why was I kicked". Keep a record
    updated with timestamps each time the server gets restarted. That way, all the banned players can have some idea on how often its getting updated.

6. Teemo

Teemo T͔̕e͖͚̖̯̩̪͙͝e͡m̖o̤̪͘ Forum Moderator Donator Tester

irc: /mode #chan +l 69

7. GrimWaltz

GrimWaltz Shopkeep Stealer

How many European guards are there anyway?
    And aww :( I was looking forward to this :p

Oh well. I already found it suspicious I couldn't find players. xd
    *bit late on this bit of info*
    Surely I'll be even better now that the event has been delayed! So be prepared!

8. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

My party lasted a little longer than expected :oops: , off to bed now :)

kl4060 likes this.
  9. LINUS

LINUS Shopkeep Stealer

It is just an idea, perhaps mad (well I am), but since guards are not enough to fight alone against other players, they could be helped by zombies, like a portal added to their base...

kl4060 and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  10. Dodge999

Dodge999 Shipwright

Send emails to premium players and every body should start with at least 300 gold to spend on what they desire

11. GrimWaltz

What do you mean?

12. Dodge999

Dodge999 Shipwright

GrimWaltz Said:What do you mean?
    Basicly you can buy bombs and stuff so 300 gold to start with to buy stuff and at start you can build what you want you have unlimited resources but then resources are limited

13. GrimWaltz

I don't know, I think starting of with coins is a good idea but 300 is a bit much. :p Maybe 40 or something.

kl4060 likes this.
  14. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

can we do GvW again plz?
    (even though i meant for north america not really european)

kl4060, Bammboo and inactive_account like this.
  15. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

It'll happen, one of these days. Just need someone to organise it. If you can find someone to do that then it'll happen sooner.

kl4060, Bammboo and inactive_account like this.
  16. kl4060

kl4060 Haxor

So, does that mean anyone can organise it?
    and guards have to come at the decided time or..
    do you pm everyone asking when they can come?

17. Lord_bugg

Lord_bugg Smashing Donator

Imagine if someone griefed the guards v the world server... They would never escape.

Anyway this is a really good idea and i hope it goes ahead soon. Beo's server would probably be the best to run it on as it is hosted in germany and has a high player capability.

Mulpy likes this.
  18. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

i would love to do that just for kicks, but the person griefing would have to be a guard, so it is not practical

19. Lord_bugg

Lord_bugg Smashing Donator

It could be one of the players playing against the guards though they would have to be a pretty devoted griefer as they would have to have a premium account.

20. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Anyone can organise it, but they have to coordinate a time with any guards they want to show up, they will have to organise what maps will be used (which is trickier than it sounds, considering you're probably dealing with a team imbalance of at least 1:3, which means that many maps would simply turn into a spawn-kill fest with the guards as the main course, which would be fun for everyone except the guards :\) what server setting will be used, and they need most importantly) get enough people joining in that it will actually happen (which can sometimes be a challenge with these things).

So yes, anyone can do it but, by the same token, not anyone can do it, if you catch my drift. :p

If you'd like to try your hand at organising it, please be my guest.

Razi likes this.