1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Seyken, sword of mana style mmorpg

Discussion in 'Other games' started by DarkDain, Apr 9, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. DarkDain

DarkDain Shopkeep Stealer

http://www.seyken.org/

Been waiting 8 months for this game to come back, its been a small mmorpg project in the style of classic rpg games, ws shut down by sqaure enix and they've been remaking it. and now its back today ! hooray !

goodyman8 and MechaTrickster like this.
  2. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

Why was it shutdown by S.E.? Were they ones making it or was it violating some policy?

3. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

The background for the website is some pretty nice art. Wouldn't be surprised if they were borrowing it from something.
    </br>--- merged: Apr 9, 2012 4:16 AM ---</br>
    Yup, just logged in and was confronted with a bunch of ripped Seiken Densetsu 3 sprites.

Looking through the user interface, it seems like they've given it a lot of thought and included many modern MMO features. But it is very cluttered and the font is sometimes difficult to read, not minimalist at all. Tooltips are glitchy, this is not helpful when trying to learn a new game.

Despite the Mana series being an action rpg, combat seems to be typical for MMOs. Quests also seem to be typical MMO fodder: very dull.

Dialogues are irritating. Textscroll is slow and if you attempt to speed up it skips the entire line instead of the scrolling itself.

4. DarkDain

DarkDain Shopkeep Stealer

In other words its definitely a small project by a few foreign people xD. I think they re-did most of the terrain with their own made ones. The models will be changed later. The terrain was the biggest problem with square enix i think. The game wasnt near finished when it was shut down last year and this is the first time its been open again. Hopefully everything jackard mentioned will be fixed, bug/content/interface wise.

5. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Those are just my first impressions; while the game looks pretty I couldn't stand the actual gameplay.

Also raised an eyebrow at the game already having microtransactions despite obviously being in early development. (Majority of the npcs in the starter town had no dialogues for example.)

6. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

The controls bug me in this newest version, before it wasn't based on mouse control, but rather: Arrow keys to move, Space to attack, X to target closest enemy and C to cycle through the targets on-screen.

I rather liked those controls, it made it feel more like a console game, and not a MMO.

Boxpipe likes this.
  7. Presbyter

Presbyter Catapult Fodder

Hello everybody,

I'm Presbyter creator of SEYKEN and came by this discussion by searching for responses to our April preview event.

First of all its nice to see that people discuss the project in a constructive manner here.
    Just wanted to drop a few lines. The game wasn't shut down by square enix. We decided to stop a purely fan based approach with ripped gfx by redoing everything thing with our own art. True we still use some sd3 sprites but managed to finish the swordsman - so 5 more class sprites to go. The game is in an very early stage and only went online to show people what to expect in future and test the new cloud architecture the game now runs in. Works fine. We intended to shut it down again after some tests but people insisted on staying online even though its hardly playable at all for now?! I take that as having potential ;)
    The controls are back to the used keyboard and game-pad support - just weren't ready at the point of releasing the preview.
    All maps are our own art and design yeah and as I stated - game overall is in a very very early stage - even after 6 more preview patches. Micro-transactions were also demanded by people to actually support the game to cover running costs and speed up development. We are just a few dudes form abroad loving the old snes jrpg classics - thats all.

Yeah and we got the message to stick more closely to the old console vibes - and guess what - we will - since this is what its all about.

Thanks,
    Presbyter

8. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Hey Presbyter!
    It's great to see developers like yourself out and about!
    While I haven't yet taken the time to play much, I can definitely say that I've not seen such beautiful Snessy graphics since Frogatto or Owlboy! :D
    Cheers!

9. Presbyter

Well Ty Wonkyth. :D Presbyter.

10. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

You should make or obtain some fonts that are easier to read.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  11. Presbyter

Which fonts do you refer too Jackard?

12. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Didn't really like any of them, but the only ones that are truly bad are the dialogues (too big) and the small, skinny font used for (quest descriptions/stat calculator) in the menu.

13. Presbyter

Ah okay.

Mods: BlueLuigi