1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Notch starts development on new game

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Miauw62, Apr 5, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Ikr! D:
    /me kicks a kitten called "Faith in humanity". For the record, I'd love to rip apart some arguments as to why Notch is the Devil. By PM, of course! ^_^
    But yeah, I'm all for games which have elements of programming! Even aside from the effect Redstone had(Many friends who were previously lazy gamers are now making complicated/powerful bukkit plugins are are well on their way to getting, y'know, a career or something), I love the uniqueness such elements provide! Anyone remember Robot Battle?

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  2. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

From his Twitter :
    So that's going to be a Minecraft with programmable computers. Can't wait :D

A screenshot for the lulz (he said he didn't want any texture in game, but he seems to change his mind very often) : http://0x10c.com/screenshots/004.png

I love how he's so rich he could retire on a paradise island but keeps coding original games 15 hours a day!

FuzzyBlueBaron, tur1sta and Wonkyth like this.
  3. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

:huh?:

:D

:sword: :D

Miauw62 and Ej like this.
  4. Bran34

Bran34 Catapult Fodder

From what I heard it's an entire 16 bit computer. Which means that if someone actually did it, they could in fact program:

Doom1 and 2
    Viruses
    and pretty much anything you could think of in 16 bit.

5. Wonkyth

Looking forward to the viruses. >:D

Beef and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  6. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

(walloftext)
    True, minecraft is notch striking gold, but that doesn't mean he is not capable of producing another good game. The sales doesn't need to be minecraft standard but if it is remotely close or in their sales data shows enough profit to move forward, then that would be more than enough.

On the other hand, minecraft is finished and now they are just adding features. Think of it as WoW adding more patches and content. Same jazz. I have been to minecon 2011 and it has been made official that it has passed beta phase. Keep in mind that Mojang is still considered an indie company, so they most likely have a different way of handling dev phases like AAA games devs do. Lastly, original is what indie devs do best. Extraordinary is rare and mostly you end up finding good ones.

Adventure mode has been out the day they officially ended beta phase. I would like to go through the patch notes ,but the wiki won't load. I was there when they uploaded the patch and I remember when the servers crashed until the next day.

Scrolls and Cobalt are not under Notch. Jeb leads minecraft updates while another company named "Oxeye" develops Cobalt and has Mojang as their publisher. I believe Scrolls is a three man team at the moment. I can't remember their names.
    If you yourself are interested in those games, you should be more proactive about finding info on them. I have Cobalt and I'm not interested in Scrolls.

Finally, it'll probably be some time before he forms another team, be it using his current or hiring new ones. It's all up to him. I'm sure that he'll go through hardship as a developer and founder of Mojang. Only time can tell whether he rises or falls.

Here's the opening to Minecon. A lot of effort was placed in that con, and if they do great this year, we might see another one that has more and better events and activities. (/walloftext)

On to topic: I like the fact that you can program pretty much whatever a 16-bit computer can do. It might turn out to be a steep learning curve since programming is quite complicated. But you're right, if it goes well, it will be a good introduction of programming to the young generation.

Gamerbro likes this.
  7. Halosnake

Halosnake Shopkeep Stealer

The Day the beta ended the Adventure Update released, Not the mode...

Can you start up a new world yet with Adventure Mode on ?

Thought so

8. Chaoticredux

Chaoticredux Shopkeep Stealer

Eve online the only space mmo i will play

9. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

My bad on that part, but he didn't just leave it in the air. Like I said, Jeb is on it and maybe one day he will release it. It is not in Notch's hand at the moment. He has moved onto a new game and I'm sorry if there were content that you wanted that were promised but not delivered yet. At least they didn't say it won't come out. It is a confirmed feature that they want to add.

On Topic:
    It might not exactly be like EVE since there is a lot of focus on programming than economy management, but let's wait for more news....

10. Wonkyth

Who says there's going to be a lot of emphasis on programming? :P
    After all, the only computers available are your dodgy shipboard ones, so I'm sure you'll have to do stuff through other means! :D

11. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

I think it will be heavily focused on programming and complex mechanisms. If he does a virtual 16 bit computer inside the game, then he could also do heat and electricity transmission through blocks, engines would need a power generator, but it could overheat and explode :D Notch said on Twitter there will be planet gameplay, ie. outside of ships, and realistic nature. Realistic nature... so plant growth ? Plants will need water and sunlight to stay alive ? Imagine if we had to build a farm in a spaceship, everything would need to be designed perfectly or it wouldn't work... or build a dome with an oxygen generator (??) on unhabitable planets :D

(yes, my expectations are too damn high and my geekometer just exploded)

FuzzyBlueBaron, Wonkyth and tur1sta like this.
  12. Wonkyth

<circlejerkhoy>
    I'm thinking all planet fauna and flora have evolved into cybernetic entities, which would make programming kinda like the bestest majickal powar in teh younivarse! :D:D:D

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  13. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Search this on the mc forums:
    Computercraft

Now you have a programmable lua computer in minecraft!

Either way, this looks pretty intresting, despite notch's reputation.
    Also, please dont derail this thread into a flamewar D:

Anyway, this might make me actually learn programming. I read a few lua tutorials for computercraft, but i never did anything with them.

14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

LUA is extremely simple, used it for RO a long time ago. Alchemist powers, ho~

15. Wonkyth

Obviously, I don't want to derail or flame, but since this thread is as much about Notch as his new game, I'd be interested to hear what his reputation actually purportedly contains. :)
    For educational purposes, of course. This has nothing to do with either bashing nor counter-bashing Notch or any discussers, and I will not hesitate to delete posts or even lock the thread if the discussion should head in that direction. You have been warned, derailers/flamers! :P

Now please, I'd like to hear your take on it. :)

16. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Well, everybody seems quite hostile against notch here. And he is a bit cocky due to his succes.
    Anyway, i dont really doubt that this game will be fun, since the concept sounds awesome, and notch is not a bad coder.

17. Wonkyth

(Note: some people can not, apparently, read. Some posts got deleted. :P )
    Fair enough, I guess.
    Most people would probably disagree on the "Notch is not a bad coder" part, but history would suggest that it's gonna be fun. :)

18. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

1-325 words, www.blockaderunnergame.com
    Notch tweeted about this game, and was developed since much longer before, and it seems 0x10C is ripping off it's idea.
    This makes me curious to level 9001.

19. Wonkyth

I don't see how Blockade Runner and 0x10C have much related to one another.

20. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

This.
    I dont actually see a 16-bit assembly computer in blockade runner, sorry.
    And you know that everybody makes space games today.
    I find it only logical that notch makes a 'blocky' game too, after minecraft.

Mods: BlueLuigi