1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Changes large and small

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

i have to agree with this. Offensive builders are vital. Yes, knights can dig themselves out of most pits, but they are just using up a slot while they are being useless like that. Archers sometimes run out of arrows (surprise!), which makes it quite difficult to get around obstacles.

You must have been playing some really, really awful rounds if you haven't seen how effective builders are on the front lines (when they know what they are doing). The reason not many builders do that is because most of them are dumb. They dig spike pits inside their own base etc, being more useless than afkers. Slightly more intelligent people mostly play combat classes because they are FUN TO PLAY compared to builder. At any rate, i'm not sure if any of that would make a good argument for or against adding ten more worker classes. I hope it won't end up boring as hell, because resource gathering usually is.

You'll be in for an awful lot of balancing work here, that's for sure.

aaaaaa50, greyfox and Cadbury like this.
  2. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Dude with sling (scout?) = "DIE SKYBRIDGE DIE!"? :P

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  3. Aer

Aer Shipwright

I be a builder to make things i want made, to play and advance my team (and get quick loot!) and then be a Knight or Archer and Bomb/Arrow the fuck outta everybody from what i had made! :)
    Cant rely on no one, No one but the useful front end builders who have toppled enemy towers, built me ladders, and caused some of the most enjoying victory's in the game !

4. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Going on with builders, if anyone was playing with me on the Australian Official Server today, I went builder, and "Ate" some buildings, it was actually so much fun, and when we where inside there building protecting there flag I went back to base, and just happened to get the flag my self, and it was actually so much fun, and I did this for multiple rounds, and we won all of them! (This is easier at the very start of the match because there is materials everywhere so it takes seconds to get 250-250 mats.)

Also showing this, makes me want to go to some martial arts Dojo in the alps of China and learn the skills of what they call 'Patience" :O

Miggles, Filio, aaaaaa50 and 2 others like this.
  5. fishfinger73

fishfinger73 Haxor

So much more in the future! KAG is pretty epic and it's the most fun I get in games especially with people around the world and all the features now. It's very surprising to hear what KAG is now is just around 20% of the game (or something like that). I'll be playing KAG and i'll be waiting for the day I get to slay some harmless chickens! But not this kind of chicken > :zchicken: Hope this game surpasses all the other indie games :).

GHOZT likes this.
  6. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

Nice preview. Imo, it will be difficult to balance the game with all those new classes.

What about siege machines like Ballista, fire arrows and stuff ? Any news about that ?

7. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

I commend you for expressing you opinion but me and heaps of other people have been waiting for AGES for new classes. Just see how it's like how Geti explained and than judge it.

8. Machinista

Machinista Shopkeep Stealer

Geti, mining clearly features large here. Any thoughts on how mats will be transferred from player to required location in the event that mines will not be near front lines or places of construction?

I was thinking there could be player mats, as there is now, and also an ability to donate to the team (or w/e) so that a frontier workshop could be supplied directly by those mining elsewhere.

9. TheFilip

TheFilip Ballista Bolt Thrower

This is going to be so amazing.
    Imagine the animals! You could keep them inside your fortress to get food, but you'll need to feed them dead corpses to keep them alive, so you won't always stay inside the fortress, but you'll go outside to pick up some dead bodies.
    I don't even know, i'm so excited i'm writing random things...

Cannot wait.

10. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

Bears, chickens, assorted birds... sounds like fun. Goos for Role Playing if your a hunter or a bird watcher. :P

11. Bracket

Bracket KAG Guard Tester

Wait you'd feed your bison (herbivores) corpses? Maybe if you do that enough you could train them to attack your enemies and eat them. >_>

One likes this.
  12. Blindsight

Blindsight Builder Stabber

Interesting development ideas. I think the game will be made or broken on how you balance reward for teamplay versus direct individual player reward. Currently the KAG gameplay is often fluid and fun, as the team's class composition isn't the deciding factor. (Players have the feeling that THEY make a difference, don't get blocked due to lack of team support)

If that changes and team composition becomes something that requires extensive communication (on the internet, no less) things might change. I helped on another game project and it went the "cooperate or die"-route, it resulted into dysfunctional gameplay. Symptoms are rampant stacking of teams, elaborate griefing and lots of disgruntled spectators. Dying playerbase.

Food for thought on how to tackle this (in my mind) crucial development problem:
    Currently:
    - Players do what the class they want to play (!) needs you to do
    - Players get a (not huge/balanced) personal reward for it, that they may or may not use wisely

- Problem: Team class composition goes awry, nothing gets done, everybody frustrated and shouting "NEED xyz", but new builders have no money/mats for good things, gameplay stalls

- Solution: Team cash and paydays! The game assigns objective specific tasks and promises a reward.
    - People love big cash/point/item(maybe!) rewards and group together to fulfill the objective (balancing team class composition naturally), spending their own money to reach a team goal
    - They manage the objective, every participant gets something small but the big reward goes into the team cash (taxes = big pile o'gold) and every x minutes there is Payday! (include ka'ching soundfile) in which players get payed a percentage (can be weighted); some gold could remain in the team cash after every Payday
    -Why oh why?!
    --> Team income is spread out over time (this wont happen : whole team suicided and is broke, no resources, back to "working their asses off")
    --> Stronger feeling of working together, easier for players to see "how to help the team", higher rewards
    --> Satisfying payday after a honest days slaughter! Collect it at your nearest outpost. Drink it all away in a tavern (goes back to team cash :p, King owned brewery of course)

Miggles, dnmr, SARGRA13 and 3 others like this.
  13. ockpii

ockpii Horde Gibber

Just a small comment - I don't like the idea that we only get to see what resources we have until we press F. I like always being able to see what I've got. I quite like the HUD as it is, actually.

~ockpii

Jackard likes this.
  14. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

I would really like to see the lancers helmet put into the current hat list....

Also, is there going to be perma-death when this comes out? Or will it be a option that you could tweak if you had your own server?

15. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

>tfw you level up til level 10 for some perks and then go join the battle

It's like I'm really playing Savage XR :migrant:

WanderMark likes this.
  16. Arthurox

Arthurox Bison Rider

Just awesome, i still waiting for zombie class on multiplayer, but i really really want overworld.

17. nuggitx

nuggitx Shopkeep Stealer

OMG the full version gonna be sooooooooo awesome !!!! I'm glad i bought the game already.

Out of the building/fighting games of Minecraft and Terraria - KAG is the definitive winner !!!. I got bored of Minecraft after 1 minute, Terraria after 2 hours but KAG i keep playing since half a year now and it's only gonna be better !!!

Kag = :r_flex::B)::flex:

18. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

I cant wait either, but i have found a little problem: (i didnt read the thread tough, so im not sure if its been said before)

Nobody will want to play woodcutter.
    All you do is stand near trees and cut them.
    Unless Geti and MM are going to do something awesome with them, i think there will be a severe wood shortage present in the game.

EDIT:

Nvm, i didnt read it trough all the way. sorry guys

EDIT:

I'm really happy to see this happen so soon, i was half thinking it would be very, very longterm and mayby never actually be finished (like some great things planned for minecraft that never were done)

19. Xorlathor

Xorlathor Catapult Fodder

I think that separate hotkeys for each action should be an option, but I don't think it should be default. I know when I first started, if the controls weren't as simple as they are I wouldn't have had nearly as good of a time as I did.

The majority of the people on this forum are experienced KAG players, but there are a ton of players (not all of them griefers and idiots) that don't give their opinion on this forum but are still loyal KAG fans.

Anywho, I'm super excited about the War mode and Overworld, KAG is coming together and it shall be spectacular!

EDIT: I for one think the new proposed UI changes are great. I agree that the emoticon bubbles are a great (and unique) element, and using a similar style for other parts of the UI would be great. I don't think the changes to viewing health and items would be a problem - even if you don't constantly see your health, you'd see your health anytime your health decreased/increased, so unless you have short-term memory you'd always know what your current health/items are. Also moving chat from being obtrusive in the top as it is now would be sweet.

Beef and Filio like this.
  20. Knighthart

Knighthart is love Donator

Exclusive footage of the unarmed class here:

Beef, Cadbury, Catguy19 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.