1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[354] Building Schematics

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Wyeth, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

I have two things I like to do, that involve build up towards some other structures I do. The interesting part is that the build up is a building or technique in itself. Specifically it acts as a trap.
    Heres the first one:

:castle_wall:
    :castle_bg:
    :dirt:

I plant these here and there. Important here is that there are places where these should not be placed and places that are better for placing these:

:castle_bg::blank::blank::no:!!!
    :dirt::bedrock:

:castle_bg::blank::blank: :yes: !!!
    :bedrock::dirt:

So after finding a right place to put these down. As soon as knights are incoming you can prepare by putting a few extra stone blocks on top (so that jumping over will not be a problem), knights like to run up to these towers anyways. Smarter ones will go for the piece of wall holding it (make sure to not support it at this point you can always simply place two more walls in the back or even ladders if the enemy drops it), anyways generally knights seem to approach these walls. Postion yourself right to the left of the structure. Once the knight is close enough (the later the better) you place a spike through the gap behind it and let enemies run straight into it, the auto-spike effect will do the rest.

:castle_bg::blank::left:
    :bedrock::dirt::dirt:

:castle_bg::spikes:
    :bedrock::dirt::dirt:

Yummy knight impaling (hopefully). This works even better by creating air spikes by removing one piece of earth under the spikes, like so:

:dirt::dirt_bg::dirt:

and well from this its really just a mini-step to having a full blown linepiece with spike trap attachment:

:castle_wall::bridge:
    :castle_wall::bridge:
    :dirt::dirt_bg::dirt:

Important note here. 2 Pieces of trapbridge is necessary. The one right above it will reorientate the spikes upwards, so that they can't hit dropping teammates easily. The second one above it will have the known effect of disabeling auto-spiking, so a teammate who walks into them will not get auto-impaled, while an enemy will. Additionally 2 teambridges vertically will always open together, so destroying them by jumping from below is impossible for enemies. If this becomes a more fortification-worthy location you can strengthen the ground with stone bricks and do some nice strathos-like building to be able to reach towards the other side easily (in case the spikes get destroyed by bombs or builders).

Example of a fortification build from this linepiece:

:ladder_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::castle_bg::door:
    :castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :ladder_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall::bridge:
    :castle_bg::door::castle_wall::bridge:
    :castle_bg::door::castle_bg::spikes:
    :dirt::dirt::castle_wall::dirt_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall:

====================================================================

A very similiar idea for a buildup trap is for the "turtle tunnel".
    Start out nice and easy:

:spikes_bg:

I place these here and there, but only in places where we got a secure fortification behind me allready (do not treat turtle bridges as secure fortifications, they are not!)
    As soon as you see enemies approach, prepare the trap by putting up a stone block on the top like this:

:spikes_bg:

Make sure the enemy cant vault off of something to get on top. Place yourself as far behind it as possible and build this right in his way. After that, paddle back immediately (in case he gets through/looks through your plan).

:blank::castle_wall:
    :blank::spikes_bg:
    :blank::castle_bg:
    :castle_wall::castle_bg:
    :dirt::dirt:

If you are lucky and the knight is too focused on chasing you he will jump (per reflex) and immediately explode into a nice firework of gibs. Once he is done with you can immediately make this into a full blown turtle tunnel (don't forget a nose on the enemy site to keep em from jumping up).

I hope this would give builders an idea of how to build more offensively if they wish to do so. I made pretty good experiences with it. Even though its not a lot it still helps to think about this.

Have fun.

Acavado, ParaLogia, GHOZT and 7 others like this.
  2. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

Alot of these are great buildings/traps, but i doubt im ever gonna see many in game :(

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I love when you show me the best way to build up a tunnel, seeing the lifetime of it is amazing.

Just a suggestion is to use a launchpad for that spike though given the height you're building it at.

4. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

For some strange reason, the auto spike doesn't work sometimes when I saw something like this used in battle.

Other then that, good job. :D

5. Wyeth

What do you mean?
    I am not 100% on what you mean with that... in one of the examples there is a jump pad above the spikes (2 teambridges in the air = jumppad... you just gotta drop onto the lower one and jump, mostly people do it accidentally).

6. A launchpad would look like this:

:castle_bg::door::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::door::castle_bg::spikes::bridge:
    :dirt::dirt::castle_wall::dirt_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    It allows you to launch up to 5 tiles above the bridge, it's cheaper and safer against bombs than an usual bridge configuration. It actually would be super bomb proof with this hole under the spikes.

Chinizz and GHOZT like this.
  7. Wyeth

@Ej
    This would be working except that it does not neutralize auto-spike effects (Yes even the reoriented spikes to the right WILL auto-impale teammates). You need a solid block 2 blocks above the auto-spikes to deactivate them. So if you were to put a single piece of teambridge 2 blocks above the spikes aswell this would be no danger to teammates usually.

8. BlueLuigi

Something like this is what I meant, not to remove what you have but just to make the climb a bit faster this way. I find that with the space there you lose no forward or upward momentum but only gain it so 4-5 away from the tower is very nicely ideal for a launchpad.
    Also given time turn that into a bombchute.

9. Wyeth

Sure looks like a good idea as long as the tower isn't very high. Usually I build a good bit higher than in that picture though. I did some testing with Ej on this. The speed difference while jumping onto those two teambridges there is minimal, the second jump transports you upwards, a second jump pad like you shown would obviously not hurt any. The bombchute is a nice use to get out of that but you can also use the top of the tower to bombjump from (I usually do that), but really I think the beauty of it is that everyone can do his own little variations to something he sees on here.

10. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I threw this together really quickly, and this is somewhat related to boost pads:

EDITED for clarity.
    [​IMG]

So this is using your trap down below, and the boost pads will actually get you up diagonally really quickly, the door is 9 tiles off the ground, but it won't usually stun you when you walk off because bridges below act as a step to 8 tiles and boost pads.

Attached Files:

BlueLuigi and inactive_account like this.
  11. BlueLuigi

The bombchute is for enemy thrown bombs ,so that if they are going in there instead of breaking the front of your base there is a good chance they'll fall inside there and damage nothing (not even your spike probably).

Diagonal like killatron posted is exactly what I meant, every 5 tiles adding the next part of the boostpad gets you up hellllllla fast. :v I tried a 3 entrance spike trap + elevated entrance + archer nest thing and I could get in all entrances safely with a guy literally 2 tiles behind me chasing me the entire time.

12. PumpkingSlice

PumpkingSlice Base Burner

You probably wont see them because people who dont understand the ways of buildings and such will end up destroying them > : ( I have had this done to me a few times and its really annoying. anyways whats really good wyeth, especially when it gets late into the match most people dont think and just rush....it is cunning and i like it ;)

13. Wyeth

Just tell them. If words don't help, switch teams and make it your mission to kill that guy, since then its perfectly legitimate to go hunting ;)

14. PumpkingSlice

Well thing is if you tell them you apparently become a "noob" which I am sure all of you have had your fair share in that. Hunting them however....sounds like a good plan *loads up kag style rifle* (because rifles were in medieval times) > : D

BlueLuigi and Wyeth like this.
  15. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Actually, someone did this to me earlier today, before I saw this thread...wait...I think it was, er...Wyeth :huh?:(or maybe Ej).
    It's pretty clever, because I did go for the :castle_bg:, thinking that it was pretty stupid to have that as the base. But when I slashed it, I just ended up hurting myself because I didn't expect the move.

16. PumpkingSlice

hmmm it might have been wyeth because if i am not mistaken Ej is mainly an upfront/offensive builder.

Wyeth likes this.
  17. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

It certainly was not me.
    Wasnt wyeth playing archer?

18. PumpkingSlice

nope i was playing archer....he was playing knight and was god dam good with those bombs....got that enemy archer a few timmes ;) he might have later on but i'm not sure.
    Also I dont think Ej was in that match.

19. Wyeth

I never play archer, also Ej was in that match.

Let's stop going down that road, if you don't have anything to say to the subject don't keep replying, just go over a convo if you want to talk about it more.

20. PumpkingSlice

nice desings :P