1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Grecca Online

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Trojan, Apr 12, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Trojan

Trojan Shipwright

I really like pvp games. So I got kinda excited when I heard about this one:
    www.greccaonline.com
    Not long ago this indie game went into OPEN Alpha phase. So everyone is free to join.

What you can do in this game?
    Collect resources, start your faction, make your town or house, craft weapons, armors etc.
    but mainly:
    PVP.
    This game biggest and most fun aspect is PVP. Fight might take from few seconds to few minutes-depends on players skill. If you kill someone you can loot everything he had with him. His equipment and collected resources belongs to you now :)
    As this game is still in alpha it evolves a lot every few days. In last 24h npc ai (kinda simple but fun to fight already) got added.
    Playerbase isn't big yet so it's kinda easy to chat with devs about game. They usually sit near campfire and answer questions which new players have.

Ofcourse as in all alphas there is some stuff not working as intended, some is not implemented at all yet. But heck.. I'm really happy that I found and started this game. Looking forward to see what it will become later on :)

xChapx likes this.
  2. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Looks like a cool game, but not exactly my kind of game.

3. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

ill try

4. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

Is it only 1vs1?
    Or can it go to larger scale battles with a bigger area

5. Jrgsubzero

Jrgsubzero Catapult Fodder

Hey, I'm from Grecca Online. We got a new person from this site today so I thought I'd check it out. =D

To answer your question, battles can be as big as the players want them to be.

Here's a video of me handling some gankers, which should be more interesting than the really outdated video in the OP.

Wonkyth likes this.
  6. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

Yes im that new person "Soullcath" decided to try out this game.

7. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

I just started this earlier, was linked on another forum.

8. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

I tried logging in, but apparently the DL link doesnt get me to the newest version.
    Is there an updater included or something?(error about it not being the newest version)
    Nvm, got it.
    But uhhh, whats the goal after you are in game? (no tutorial)

9. Trojan

Trojan Shipwright

That's where I found it too. :P

I saw devs chatting about adding patcher in next update. So hopefully they added it right now.(till now you had to redownload client each time they patched it).
    Propably you got extremely unlucky and game got updated while you was downloading it. Can't check it myself till tommorow. Maybe some other player will drop more info in here (*looks at Jrgsubzero*).

10. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I tried this last night. My first impressions were not kind. (Disclaimer:: Biased opinions contained herein.)

I log in: Two idiots with a bad grasp on the English language are arguing at the newbie spawn, expressing their mastery over the parts that involve cursing. Merlin-a developer, the coder I think-- and Pass-a GM?-- were both present, and the latter actively so. They did nothing about it, and in fact told me to ignore them. This incident, by itself, is hardly enough to make me quit; it's far more what it says about the community they're encouraging that is deadening inside.

This kind of setting is not new, no; open PvP wherein you lose all your gear if you die, but keep your character, I can name several games which tried it and failed to have truly lasting appeal. Fallout: 2238, the MMO mod of Fallout 2. HellMOO, a text-based MUD, the creator of which got so fed up with the shitty community that he removed PvP entirely. Where these games failed was not in gameplay mechanics, however little fighting chance they gave you; it was the community, crude and hostile people manipulating you through psychological warfare, that killed interest for the non-masochistic.

I play for about half an hour, now having an actual goal to pursue, that being getting a basic set of crafting tools. I wander around a bit, manage to make a chisel, die to a combat-capable NPC-if it was, indeed, an NPC--, respawn at the newbie town. I leave-entering a JRPG-esque world map-- and some guy follows me. The world map is essentially a complete safe zone; nothing can hurt you unless you enter an instanced area, and nothing can force you to enter them (yet). I foolishly enter the same area as him and he ganks me straight away, partially due to his comparative experience with the combat system. This was when I started hearing "It's just like 'nam, it's just like 'nam" in my head; it was just like 'nam. I had just been killed by a dude for no real reason, and without much of a chance to do anything about it. Herein lies part of the problem.

Now, a fellow with more perseverance-read, 'naivety'-- about them might have taken it as a personal challenge, using it as motivation, a goal to pursue and have fun while doing it. The unfortunate truth about any game with an unmoderated community and open PvP: you won't have fun while doing it. You won't!!! Consciously you may think "Hey, I'm having fun!", but chances are the community is playing with you, attempting to degrade you and make you long for their respect to compensate for your constantly undermined self-worth. The community shapes your path in a game that is so lawless, and human nature tells the majority of us to take advantage of the fact; no repercussions for acting like an asshole on a videogame, though the effects on one's psyche are just as detrimental as they would be in reality.

Let me tell you something about KAG's community:: I loved it enough to volunteer my time and effort toward keeping it clean, safe and enjoyable, and I still do. Every day I laze about with my moderation duties-so few as there are to tackle--, I feel a tiny pang of guilt and regret, because I know it's something worth that time and effort, and not spending it is essentially ignoring the fact. I earnestly think participating in these kinds of games is a self-depreciating effort, the extent of which is decided by how horrible the people around you are.

There's more psychological babble behind why this concept is so interesting to poor, innocent, uncorrupted people-and why it's shitty beyond that concept--, but I'll save the effort until somebody's interested in discussing it.

11. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

I thought your name was familiar.

Haven't yet decided whether this game is worth following or not. It is very clearly an alpha. Some notes
    • I've been informed that it has weekly updates but still seems very early in development, despite having been in closed alpha for a few years?
    • It definitely suffers from a lack of players at the moment, as most of its content is based on player interaction.
    • The controls are currently more suited to a gamepad than mouse and keyboard. These can be changed ingame, and it recognizes controller input.
    • The user interface has more features than say Terraria or KAG but can be hard to read and unintuitive at times.
    • The combat system is interesting but needs more content to support it.
    • The art style is a strange mix of charming and plain, although it is clearly not pixel art and feels overly airbrushed in some areas. Characters have received the most attention.
    • Crafting and skills are still very rudimentary.
    PS. The current playerbase is personally amusing because it has the same makeup as 2009 H&H. Even has its own JTG.

12. Kyzak

I didn't see you, unfortunately; I'm sure I would have recognized the name, though. Say something next time!!! We could have had amazing adventures, but there's no way I'm reinstalling that thing now.

13. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

I was playing incognito, but only saw you for a short time as I was out in the world.

Another player suggested that I recruit others, but I've learned not to do this for games in such early development - I believe first impressions are important as players will often prematurely swear off a game. (You make a fine example btw.)

14. Kyzak

I came in with the resolve to quit as soon as my suspicions about the community were justified; perhaps my judgment is premature, but then they weren't premature all those years ago on HellMOO-when the rate of valuable player input being used in some way was not roughly 1:300--, and they weren't premature in the first open betas of 2238, which was primarily /v/ and Russians actively killing eachother because one party was /v/ and the other party was Russian.

I've been considering making a post on the forums, but then my past experiences interacting with developers of such games do not shed a kind light, either. I fully expect my complaints, legitimate or no, to be met with "Well, you're not the kind of player we want, anyway", which is a pretty horrible philosophy for a multiplayer game. H&H is the only open PvP game I've ever seen with polite and patient developers, though such expression hardly extends to the primitive community.

15. Jrgsubzero

So, I'm confused, did you just go on a rant about communities in PVP games?

The community is excellent in Grecca, we're pretty close-knit right now.

And the devs are awesome and always willing to listen to ideas.

16. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Reasonable, sensible sandbox developers are rare indeed. Survival games are an unfortunate genre.

17. Jrgsubzero

From what I've seen it's mostly players who respond like that. Try bringing up legitimate complaints on Wurm or Entropia.

For example, Wurm players are very delusional. Try bringing up the fact that there's still no animation for sitting on a horse (you stand on them) despite the game being P2P for over 5 years.

I highly doubt the Grecca developers will shoo you off, the whole reason they went open alpha was to get feedback no matter what flavor.

18. Kyzak

Maybe so, but the mystery lies in this; were my first impressions out of the ordinary? Did I just catch the game on a bad day? If the change in scenery just means dudes have different ways to ruin my experience, I don't feel like it's worthwhile, or that there's any other appropriate course of action than to quit and never look back. The game itself may evolve mechanically, but in the end a game is only as fun as the community lets it be.

More or less! Though I am talking about the specific niche that Grecca falls into, a sandbox, open PvP game where the players are left to act as they wish; no administrative intervention unless somebody's exploiting a thing they shouldn't be, and god willing they might actually fix it.

It's people like this that I'm talking about, people that are out to bottle your tears and drink them as a healthy refreshment. What's worse is they travel in packs, forge alliances and wage war against others with far too much tolerance for the whole ordeal. Potential players are lost in the crossfire, and in my experience, it's usually intentional. This only keeps happening until somebody with authority steps in, but all too often I've seen these figures complain about the lack of playerbase, yet do nothing to foster it; it's this that leads me to the conclusion my input will be futile, but if you say otherwise, I will attempt to provide my experience on the forums in a way that isn't some dude ranting incoherently.

19. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Consider that you are judging the game based on its community before that community even exists. The only people I saw yesterday were devs, closed testers, and a few scattered new guys that were causing trouble. Just sayin'.

20. Jrgsubzero

Well, that guy you linked to is just a troublemaker, but by words only. He's not really good at PVP and in the video I linked you can see me actually 1v2ing him and his friend. He won't be drinking any tears anytime soon haha. I honestly didn't even read his post past the first sentence.

I personally feel (and I don't speak for the development team, I'm just a player) that they shouldn't step in and try to police us. All I'd want is an ignore function and let us police ourselves. If some guy who's horrible at pvp sits in town all day and causes a ruckus (which I believe you walked in on) and If I'm on I can ban him from my town until I feel like letting him back in. If he pisses off enough towns to the point he's stuck in the wilderness (since only towns have PVP turned off) then I'm sure he'll either change his ways or quit.

Only those with power can act how they please without consequences, and even then they may upset enough people until their power is toppled. This is what you were talking about right?

But, I've talked to the devs and they're still unclear on how they want to moderate circumstances like those you've encountered. So it would be best for you to post your opinion on the matter.

Edit: Arus has just put up her stream if you want to watch her do art and stuff. http://www.twitch.tv/datgrecca

Mods: BlueLuigi