1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[360] Front Line Walls; Utilizing different strategies for all classes.

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by thebonesauce, Apr 14, 2012.

1. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

[EDIT: Shit, I forgot to put [360] at the beginning of the title. Could a guard handle that for me?] //Kouji: Done

So lately, I've been playing as an archer. I used to have a great disdain for archers (and I still do for arrow spam, because there are better strategies IMO), but now I realize how boring this game would be without them. At the same time, I find it incredibly boring camping, so I die a lot because the only cover for me in the heat of battle is hiding in a tree.

So I was messing around in Sandbox trying to put together some ideas for front line walls that can easily benefit all three classes. Archers really have no incentive to leave the base or a mid-point tower most of the time. Why should they? Archers have the least amount of health, and are incredibly vulnerable in the open. So with the addition of boost pads lately, I came up with an idea.

[​IMG]

It's really very simple and doesn't cost a whole lot, but I saw a one-way stairway utilizing the door at the top, so I decided to expand upon it to make it a little more useful. It's very easy to get through for knights and combat builders, they can get back in with the boost pad, isn't entirely susceptible to bombs, and clearly gives archers a few vantage points without leaving themselves entirely open. To get through, the enemy almost NEEDS a builder, but with a decent archer he won't be able to do so. I also should have backwalled the two empty spots above where I DID backwall, but I added the top teamdoor afterwards.

[​IMG]

Here you can see that an archer can simply stand on the lowered stone step to only open the bottom half of the door, where they can shoot the upper 90 degree area of the battlefield. Need to hit the lower? Jump up on the ladders and open the top half of the door. And just for good measure, there's a single door to allow even more FOV.

I want to see what ideas you guys have on the subject, since most times a front line wall is just a tall bighuge notched wall.

2. Bookmark

Bookmark Haxor

While the idea is solid and the intent is pure, the wall is easily breached by a single builder and his gang. Place 2~3 ladders and you've already scaled up to the top and have gained a height advantage.

:blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::door:
    :blank::blank::castle_wall::castle_wall::door::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::door:
    :blank::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :blank::castle_wall::castle_wall::spikes::bridge:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::dirt_bg::castle_wall::dirt:
    :dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt_bg::dirt:
    Ladder and trapbridge it up as necessary.
    You can shoot down at enemy knights, drop bombs or toss 'em in the side door.
    Or something like this:

:castle_wall:
    :blank::door:
    Bla bla bla to the top of the tower and flip it either facing left or right.
    Larger angle to shoot down towards enemies moving closer; can be raised and a stone block can be added to give smaller angle but more safety to the archer / anti- squeezing.
    Back wall these two designs and you have a short-term effective tower that won't be scaled in 2 seconds by enemy builders and can at least buy some time. Both are pretty cheap (sorta) and can be used in early game.
    I haven't built anything in a while so these might have changed or somethin'.

3. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

Your first image is broken bonesauce so I can't tell what you're talking about in the first paragraph, the second picture isn't though and it looks pretty good, a lot like an upgraded line piece.

Also @ Bookmark, I've been trying to shy away from those perches recently, as people usually just ladder up the wall, 2 taps with the magick door replacing hammer and they're in your base.:(

:castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    :castle_wall::door::castle_bg:
    This provides almost the same coverage while blocking enemies' attempts to get in as quickly.

4. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

The images aren't broken Killa, they probably didn't load right for you (it's basically the same picture as the second one).

Bonesauce: personally, my biggest issue is that you can't access the roof easily. While the cover inside is decent, I'm the kind of person who just prefers to be on the top and dodge arrows since it allows me quick movement and allows me to do lobbed shots/ shoot anywhere. Basically, if the enemy gets on your roof, you aren't going to be doing much about them.

cmblast likes this.
  5. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Cool deal. I'll have to work on it a bit. That's just the problem, I never see any decent front line walls or towers up until after someone gained ground with simple 6+ high 1 wide walls with ladders and such. Thanks for the extra suggestions ya'll!

6. This works pretty well:
    traproof.JPG
    Although I almost never make trapbridges to climb back. I usually just camp inside and slowly replace stone with teamdoors.

thebonesauce likes this.
  7. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

My tower for front line

:castle_wall: :castle_wall:
    :ladder::door:
    :castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :ladder::door:
    :castle_bg::door:
    :castle_bg::door:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall:

Its usually taller than this, but i hate the emotes D:

8. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

:B)::D:);):no::thumbs_up::bridge: :huh?::bison::(:>:(::note::QQ::red::skull::bird::r_flex::shad::flex: :gear:

:castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::blank::bedrock::blank::blank::blank::bedrock::blank::h_rock::h_rock::h_rock::blank::door::door::door::blank::dirt::dirt::dirt::blank::blank::b_shop::b_shop:
    :castle_wall::blank::blank::blank::bedrock::bedrock::blank::bedrock::bedrock::blank::h_rock::blank::h_rock::blank::blank::door::blank::blank::dirt::blank::blank::blank::b_shop:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::blank::blank::bedrock::blank::bedrock::blank::bedrock::blank::h_rock::blank::h_rock::blank::blank::door::blank::blank::dirt::dirt::blank::blank::blank::b_shop:
    :castle_wall::blank::blank::blank::bedrock::blank::blank::blank::bedrock::blank::h_rock::blank::h_rock::blank::blank::door::blank::blank::dirt::blank::blank::blank::blank::blank::b_shop:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::blank::bedrock::blank::blank::blank::bedrock::blank::h_rock::h_rock::h_rock::blank::blank::door::blank::blank::dirt::dirt::dirt::blank::b_shop::b_shop:

ARE AWESOME!!!:heart:

:blue: :argh::gold:X3:castle::oops::sword::huh?::a_shop::spikes::migrant::thumbs_down::zchicken::eek: :noburu::rollseyes::bow:???:left::tree::skeleton::down:

Sorry for off topic.
    Anyway, I think the OP is a good start. I've used the half-open doors before They're not bad, but when another teammate passes through, I think both doors remain open until you back up (not sure).

9. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

I usually start with a linepiece and then slowly expand upon it, basicly making it higher and implenting a few archer nests.

10. Hoj

Hoj Builder Stabber

A vertical wall with team doors built into the face of the wall. We all know this simple but effective design. Repairable walls are also effective when used correctly. As long as the wall you make is tall enough and has a cap at the top it's fine. Putting down blocks into the ground in front of the tower is also effective. Always add blocks into the foundation of the structure.

11. ZeThtb

ZeThtb Haxor

We all know it is pretty stupid.

Alright, clearly I am wrong here. Sadly not everyone knows how stupid and ineffective the ladder/retard wall is, how it is always more effort then comperagble designs and how it gives no favor to your team and is extremely easy to overtake, offers 0 protection for archers (or against archers), lets enemys shot in one area and always hit, has basically no chance to damage the enemy...

Meh, people are sheep, everyone sees it and adopts it without though.

12. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

This so much true. Nothing worse then a few tunneling knights you cant do anything about.
    Also, to above, a standard linepiece with jumppads at the bottom can be horribly effective.
    Especially since it is easily expanded.
    Just add a few more blocks at the top and then cap it with a team door, extend the teambridges at the edges...
    Its really easy if you know how to.