1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[371] General knight discussion

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Acavado, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Discuss being a knight, in general.

Sirs and madams, as always, as per the rules, when continuing discussion into another build, specify the number of the build you are referring to. Vastly outdated conversation may be archived and very specific conversations may be moved to their very own thread.

The build number of this thread will be updated to the current build. No new discussion threads will be created, but you can use the number as a reference while creating your own. That way you do not need to look it up everytime you want to create a new thread.

Build at the time of this post is 360.
    Links to newer builds (Click the newest!):
    > GOTO Build 360-370

2. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

Here's the new changelog, they added spectator mode.

Changes 360-370:

The numbers in the changelog are bug tracker report numbers.

- fixed builders pick up catapult stone in mid air (#250)
    - add per-gamemode modding of archer variables
    - fixed crash where lightmap was null
    - fixed some hud readout bugs (thick stone)
    - fixed some issues with #164's fix and tree chopping
    - fixed trees heal when reaching the bottom of the trunk (#164)
    - fixed crash in menu when no player exists
    - backspace menu when not playing game is the same as when playing game
    - Added previous bitstream compatibility through *force_bool methods
    - fixed zombie mode order crash
    - fixed no spawn as zombie when changed team to red
    - fixed disconnecting from server when launched server browser
    - singleplayer gamemodes get paused when in ESC menu
    - fixed crash after launching zombie mode after deathmatch mode
    - zombie/migrant bodies collide in air with players and hurt them
    - added sound when zombies fall or hit walls
    - added random pitch variation for most sounds
    - added resource drop amount on hud
    - fixed migrant-player colliding
    - fixed big particles not spawned when in solid block
    - tweaked zombie network syncing
    - added spectator mode
    - fixed bot archers not shooting arrows
    - fixed wraith explosion on net
    - fixed wall hugging on ladder
    - added "killed by zombie message"
    - builder only stays close to buddy and defends himself from zombies
    - synced migrant bubbles on net
    - creative/Sandbox servers are also add to beginner servers now
    - fixed disconnecting player message
    - fixed crash when closed ingame browser at a wrong time
    - fixed zoom out from editor affecting other games (246)
    - fixed arrows going through walls (125)
    - workshop blocks cost 2 wood now
    - all CTF workshops cost 50 wood (no stone required) (+30 gold siege workshop)
    - migrants now say hello on network
    - backwall on spikes gives materials resolved (#208)
    - moved body throw offset a bit to avoid self collision
    - archer can't hurt others when stomping
    - fixed shield adding velocity on ground
    - made inventory counters 50x more awesome (and they read the correct numbers for more cases too)
    - fixed coins from frozen players
    - dropped amount of coins from shooting catas (IRC request)
    - fixed custom heads for non-admins
    - made guard hat only apply to builder head and class default head
    - added custom head check in player (checks if name matches a custom head player or if is guard or admin)
    - added class modding to CTF rules
    - bound runner variables to rules
    - added falldamage vars to rules config (-> balancing ahoy)
    - fixed crash in starter caused by autoupdate not initialised
    - nerfed sheild push to help with desync and wall damage
    - fixed wall sliding + fixed notch jumping (related)
    - added server_setup_info.txt and readme.txt
    - modified readme.txt and server_setup_info.txt for nicer formatting
    - added stats format info to server_setup_info.txt
    - added /listbans function to list all currently active bans
    - fixed bug in bans (time was in seconds not minutes)
    - made bans more user friendly with their output
    - stats updated to more easily parsable format
    - fixed typo in tutorial (#197)

3. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

Now knight combat seems to be completely based on who can get the stun off in a knight fight, since shielding (shielding bashing as well) and clashing tend to block everything sent a knight's way. I find myself and a lot of other players entering a fight with a shield bash to stun the player and jab him to death, instead of the original enter with a well timed power-slash. Of course this makes knight fights random as hell with blocking and shield-bashes making player skill unknown for the most part.

I would like to see just for a small time, all blocking/clashing in Knight vs. Knight situations removed along with shield-bashing to see how much more stable knight combat would be without the randomness of blocks and shield-bashes (Blocking arrows are fine, screw those guys).

4. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

I noticed something with the slash. I posted this in the general discussion, but I believe that is the wrong place for it so I deleted it.

Whenever you power up a slash and hit jump upon release you do this weird floating jump. I've been experimenting with it and found out that with it you can climb walls that are up to four squares tall. I am not sure if this is some sort of glitch or a feature.

Makes me feel damn awesome though. Wipes the smug face off those builders thinking they are safe.

Also, knight combat feels so much better with this build. I haven't been playing for that long, but every single slash that I have performed has hit its target and I haven't seen as many shield bashes. I actually feel in control now, nothing better than once again having the ability to kill off a group of knights just running after you. Feels good man. Feel damn good.

GloriousToast likes this.
  5. Ostricheggs

Ostricheggs Shipwright

It used to be a lot, lot better in the build before 353. Stuns are a great idea and add another layer of complexity to knight combat. The problem comes when they're a bit screwed

Beef likes this.
  6. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You are able to climb towers like this on your own now. (both sides)

Quite nice. screen-12-04-24-14-48-38.png

7. Hoj

Hoj Builder Stabber

Stun has stunned the power-slash for now i suppose. Jabs do seem to do more damage then before and seem more effective beacuse of the jab speed. Power slashing doesn't matter when the target is stunned; jabs work fine afterwards because theres recoil. Also, any tower fifteen blocks high or taller will damage you from a fall. Its not a good idea to build a tower that tall because you're team will lose tickets for no reason.

8. Prosaurus

Prosaurus Catapult Fodder

I don't know if it's a bug or what, but now jumping on someone with your shield down does as much damage, if not more, to you rather than to them. I preferred it when it was a guaranteed kill if you jumped from high enough. Yesterday someone jumped on me from only a few blocks up, and died because of it, while I only took about half a heart of damage.

9. Ostricheggs

Ostricheggs Shipwright

sigh. The build ain't as good as I thought she was. Particularly

destroying an essential part of knight combat to fix a bug and implement a random auxiliary feature that has proven to be bug ridden, both of which having little to do with knight combat to begin with, is stupid. Sorry guys, but that was not a good choice.​

Wall damage is shitty and really pointless. Desync wasn't bad before 353 with shield bashes. Desync after 353 went through the roof. Believe it or not shield bashing was very balanced and predictable and the stuns in both length and complexity were perfect as well. It's ridiculous to remove an integral part of knight combat that added a layer of complexity unheard of in most games JUST to fix a fuck-up. Honestly guys, shield bashing? you really, really had to take out shield bashing? The best part of the game?​

That's just the start of it. Hitboxes are terrible, fall damage screws knights (doubly so with the blatant ladder bug), bombs are ridiculous with how they port and jabs are literally the most random thing in the game. So here we have knights running around, no shield bashing, falling on each other and taking damage, spamming jabs and holding their breath and spamming slash CONSTANTLY because that's the only thing that fuckin works. But, hey, at least it's better than 353 because even though everything else is broke, slashing works!​

Guys, please test these builds. please!​

10. Prosaurus

Prosaurus Catapult Fodder

Yeah, it's be really nice if they had public test servers for upcoming builds, so they can get feedback before they screw combat over once again.

11. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

New build Knights: FUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

12. CoD

CoD Haxor

I may be crazy but I like the new build I believe it's improved knight combat (still not as good as it was before)

13. Ostricheggs

Ostricheggs Shipwright

Yea, it improved it. It's improved from dying 24/7 because of random deaths to dying to random jabs, long-reach slashes and reciprocal fall damage. Knight combat has devolved so drastically the last month that this build is actually considered good on the sole fact that slashes work like they did before 353, even if the reach is insane and entirely random because of terrible hitboxes.

Such is life in KAG

14. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

SUCH IS LIFE

CoD likes this.
  15. Archalieus

Archalieus Builder Stabber

Two questions:
    1. With a power slash, what is the hitbox?
    2. When shielding a powerslash, how does one not get permastunned?

16. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Are characters still larger than their sprites and is shieldbashing in midair still stupid?

sj67 likes this.
  17. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

Yup. Plus, sheildbashing doesn't even work any moar. :/

18. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

The Combat is relatively normal for knights, angles of attack are still pretty bad and jumping stomping people is really wonky. I've noticed that anything done that isn't directly above or on leveled ground is liable to deal no stun at all if the enemy player is shielding, and at best the powerslash stun vs shielding works half the time when on a level plane or vertically above.

On another note, those hitboxes are still really damn big :huh?:

19. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Well, this is referring to both classes, as tested in swordfight, you take the same amount of damage as the taker when you slam someone.

Overall, knight is still quite buggy.

I am really sad with shield bashing broken, I keep jumping at people and get stunned by their slash, then jabbed.

Most fights now are just jab fests to noobs, and it sounds like we whine a lot about newbies beating us, but shield bashing used to make people stand out, but over all I am most saddened by shield bashes, cant wait till it's back.

20. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

I loved shield bashing, but it was a little over powered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.