1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1013][GEN] Survival Of The Best Dressed

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Duplolas, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

If you have been playing KAG long enough, you may start to notice that certain types of players will wear certain types of hats.

Since some hats are geared towards use of either of the three classes, knowing which one is designed for which class may give you a small advantage before you even start to battle.

For example, there are a few hats geared specifically towards the use for knight. Hats that look absolutely awful on any class besides knight. If someone is wearing that hat as a knight, you can assume that they primarily play knight. Knowing this might keep you from getting in a fight with someone who is way above your skill level.

Even a person's general skill level could be guessed upon their choice of hat. Hats like the horse head and scuba helmet were hats that used be to be used by everyone because of how awkward they looked when worn. Now not many people wear them besides really unskilled players or ones with an above average amount of skill. Another example would be the "headless" hat, which only a few people know how to use (not even me ::(:). People who use the "headless" hat are almost always those with a high skill level.

Also knowing which hats are only able to be worn by certain people is to your advantage. Typically those who have these unique hats have been around for a long time and because of that, have gained quite a bit of experience playing the game. For example: Arcrave with his shark king hat.

But not only does knowing what a hat represents help you in the game, but what hat you pick physically could be to your advantage.

For example, hats that do not show team color above your shoulders allow you to pick up enemy bodies and keep the enemy team from knowing which team you are truly on. Also, having smaller hats that don't add any extra height to your character allows you a small advantage when hiding in dark tunnels. While having a larger hat allows a bit of extra room in dodging enemy attacks. Since your hitbox doesn't change with the hat you choose, having a large one makes people think they have a larger target to hit, when they actually don't.

2. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Hats off to your guide. (Applause) Thank you, thank you. This guide should help some people figure out others' strategies. Only problem? People like me who change their hat every so often just because it gets stale.

3. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

And then there's me and the two other people that use the zed head

4. -Crimson-

-Crimson- Haxor

You can also turn the odds into your favour, many people (sometimes myself) wear the default "pleb" head, as a strategic move. A lot of the times people will be less focused on you and many noobs wear this head so its a great confusion for enemies to know who is who.

5. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

maybe you are just a pleb :3.

6. bout

bout Shark Slayer

A "How to avoid difficult battles" guide for aussies.

7. -Crimson-

-Crimson- Haxor

Tell Gurin that lol, he can't even play because hes targeted 24/7

8. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

@Duplolas
    What would someone with the hat below imply the person as?
    KAG - Head.JPG
    Just curious.

9. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Either a new player or someone who has been around for awhile (not necessarily good).

Just IMO.

10. Dargona1018

Okay.. Then I seem like a pleb..
    Underestimation is good..

11. bout

bout Shark Slayer

What about bald head with big beard? What kind of players wear it?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 23, 2014, Original Post Date: Jun 23, 2014 ---
    Gosh, "wearing head" sounds so wrong. Like you ripped off someone's head and now you wear it lol.

12. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

I do think this has some truth it, but only to a certain extent. If it's the default head, they probably are new since generally haven't touched the settings much. Also as you said, people who their own head, or are using the headless head are probably more experienced (except I suck right now, since I haven't played a true game in months). However, I have to disagree with the whole, pick a head that you look good in for your class. In my experience, most people in this case usually just pick the head they like most and swap to a different head when they get bored with or something, regardless of the hat the class they pick and what they think is cool/like.

Getting the headless head isn't that hard, it's a simple edit, but I'm not telling you. The only clue you get is that: you'll have to do a bit of digging in the config files to figure it out. Even if you figure what sort of thing you'll have to do, I doubt you'll actually get it right.

Duplolas likes this.
  13. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

Relying on heads to give your pre-battle information could actually be a disadvantage.

If you treat every enemy like one with 0 ping and years of experience, there is no chance to underestimate an enemy.

14. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Really it is just getting to know the community you are playing against or with. Most of the time, long time players keep the same head, so you kinda get used to who to watch out for on the battlefield.

15. lare290

lare290 Ballista Bolt Thrower

I always use horned stereotypical viking hat because it is so pleasant for my eyes, and haven't seen many others use it. In modded servers with Blowjob-mod, I have my custom cupcake-hat ::D:

16. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

^ how do necro

But I always use default because it won't let me keep my Cubone head :rektlord::QQ:.

AmestriStephen likes this.
  17. IsaacLightning

IsaacLightning Catapult Fodder

How do you get headless? I've looked all throughout the files, and the only thing I would guess to do would be to edit the head number in autoconfig

18. Dargona1018

I believe that it's no longer possible.

19. Koveltskiis

Koveltskiis Shark Slayer

I wear the the topped hat