1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Linux Confirmed Engine KAG [1180] game doesn't remember custom "pickup" keyboard settings

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Blue-Tiger, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Blue-Tiger

Blue-Tiger Shipwright

Category: KAG Client

Operating system: Xubuntu 14.04 (also observed with Xubuntu 13.10)

Build number: 1180 (observed with all builds since at least a year)

Description:
    I'd like to use the ";" key (semicolon) to perform the "pickup" action. Unfortunately every time I exit the game it forgets about this setting.

Steps to reproduce:

Start game, set "-" to perform "pickup". Join a game, verify that ";" works as pickup key. Exit game. Restart game again --> The game has forgotten that I want to use ";" as pickup.

EDIT: This has been bugging me since I started playing KAG. Sorry it's taken me this long to report this.

EDIT2: I've been playing around. This happens with every action, not just with 'pickup'. If I bind ';' to move left, the game will also forget that upon restart.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

How do you Exit the game? I know a lot of times if you don't exit through the Main Menu, Crash, or directly exit, your settings may not be remembered.

Try setting it again in Settings, exiting through main menu, and re-opening the game.

3. Blue-Tiger

Blue-Tiger Shipwright

Hi!

I've tried several ways of doing it and exited the game in every way I can think of. The effect was always the same. Just to make sure, I just re-tried setting it in Settings, exiting through main menu and re-opening the game -> doesn't work.

4. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Have you tried running the KAG as administrator? Maybe you have installed it in the UAC protected location? These changes should be written do disc. So what I want you to try is to run KAG as admin, do this changes and then see if it worked.

5. Blue-Tiger

Blue-Tiger Shipwright

I'm running under linux, so no administrator mode. Plus, all other key settings are being remembered, just the 'pickup' one isn't.

6. Furai

Oh, yeah, my bad for not reading properly the first post...I'd notice it was linux...anyway, what about other keys than dash?

7. Blue-Tiger

Blue-Tiger Shipwright

First off: I don't know why i kept making this typo, but I meant ';' (semicolon), not '-' (dash) ... I'll update all my posts in this thread to reflect that.

I dug around a little more:

1. If I change the keys from the main menu and then exit again **they will not be remembered after restart**, ever.

2. If I join a game (I tried singleplayer sandbox), then the keys will be remembered, unless they key is ";". I.e., if I set "move left" to ";", join a game, then exit the game & restart, the "move left" key will not be ";" but whatever it was before that. So the problem obviously lies with the key, and not with the action it is bound to.

8. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

the semicolon is not a good key to set it to. it might be messing with the code because semicolons end statements in c++. does it work with another key?

9. Blue-Tiger

Blue-Tiger Shipwright

As someone who writes C++ code professionally (over 10 years experience by now), I can assure you that semicolons ending statements will not interfere with using the ';' key in a game (After all, one is just a syntactic element that the parser uses and gets eliminated way before code generation, while the other is a char, i.e., simply a number). I'm left handed, so I'm using IJKL instead of WASD for movement, thus I'm using the ';' key in almost all the games I'm playing. As stated above, other keys work.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  10. Furai

Can anyone with windows build confirm that it exists there as well?

11. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

I've been having some trouble with cl_name sticking, even when I change it in autoconfig.

12. Furai

That's completely different issue. Do you launch the game via Steam? If yes then it will always change to your Steam name there. It has precedence.

Still I'd would insist on someone checking ";" key on the windows build.

13. Doesn't happen to me on Windows build.