1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1239] Simple time adjustment

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Verzuvius, Oct 7, 2014.

?

Good?

1. Good

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Not good

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

When your team got one flag less than the other team your respawn time is +5 sec or so.

When your team got two flag less than the other team your respawn time is +10 sec or so.

When your team got one flag more than the other team the other team's respawn time is +5 sec or so.

When your team got two flag more than the other team the other team's respawn time is +10 sec or so.

:thumbs_up:

Would make games less stalemate and rushes more valuable.

2. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

No one wants to wait even longer to respawn, this would drain servers quick.

3. rymcd

rymcd Bison Rider Staff Alumni Tester

Speak for yourself, I seriously doubt you ever shared the same mindset as most people in the community.

This idea actually came up in mumble about a week ago, it wasn't related to flag capping though.
    I don't think that's a bad idea at all, I think a lot of us could agree there is a stalemate issue as well.
    I believe we were thinking the distance from your tent would determine how long you take to respawn.
    To be honest your concept sounds easier to understand and code, 10 seconds seems like an overkill though.
    I would like to hear more opinions on this, it'd be nice to see the average time for a match be lowered from such an easy update.

Tern likes this.
  4. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

Clearly I am speaking for myself, no need to flame me for any opinion I have. Am I flaming you now for voicing your own opinion? Keep that in mind before you post next time.
    And you'd be surprised, contrary to popular belief I did have quite a few people who I'd talk to and play with regularly who did happen to share my opinions on a lot of subjects. Like nerfing boulders and water arrows.

5. rymcd

6. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

mfw baddies

anywhooo... how about it all depends on how long the match is going on for. like it takes longer to respawn the longer the match goes for

7. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I like verzuvius's idea of encouraging offense and rewarding it. However, there are a lot of maps that only have one flag, and I've noticed that less flags tend to stalemate more in the first place. A lot of times as I've noticed, people tend to leave after one of their flags gets capped because they either think the game is done, or they give up the will to fight on. I also like jig's idea of how it should be related to distance from your spawn, but his idea rewards defense rather than offense. I personally think Jig's idea should be switched around so that it takes longer to respawn if you die closer to your spawn. This way waves of defenders don't come rushing in constantly taking out the attackers that have to wait longer spawn times AND make it to the frontlines.

Tern, NinjaCell and makmoud98 like this.
  8. rymcd

Yeah my bad, I should have specified when the time increases. I actually completely agree with that, stalemates would be worse if you received shorter a respawn for not pushing.
    I'm quite curious about what @Skinney and @Arcrave have to say about this now. They were the ones that brought the idea up in mumble.
    I'm personally quite interested, I really like the idea of seeing stalemates only when they're deserved.

9. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

Some issues I have with the idea are as follows;
    1. Maps are now required to have more than one flag
    2. If the map stalemates prior to any flags being capped this wont make any difference
    3. The moment you lose one flag your team is at an incredible disadvantage, without any comeback mechanic this means imminent loss
    Unless there was additional mechanics added to CTF to support dynamic spawn times the only thing I would realistically consider would be a minor increase to spawn time.

norill likes this.
  10. rymcd

I think that would be perfect, I don't know what would work best though.
    Originally I was thinking distance, for example if you died at the middle of the map your respawn timer wouldn't get longer.
    I can't help but feel like this isn't the most efficient way to do it though.
    Which is why I like the flag idea but not the values he suggested.
    If you work on the idea at all please share your efforts.

11. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Personally I think that the best way to reduce stalemates is to make tunnels cheaper. Making an offensive base is now sooooo risky, because if you stuff up, that's 50 gold out the window, gone. Also, if a map has been going for a while, it usually means there is no longer any gold left. Meaning that no team will EVER be able to get a good offensive base or get a "tunnel cap", leading to stalemates.

norill likes this.
  12. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

The respawn time could be increased if you die behind your own flag.

13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I think that tunnels - both kinds of tunnels - are cancer. Fighting underground is incredibly stupid for all classes due to cramped quarters and darkness, and the ability to warp an entire team across the map in an instant is plenty powerful.

Additionally, tunnels are already a popular method of ending a stalemate. Making them cheaper will probably result in most games ending via tunneling, which is not desirable.

14. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

More vehicles, said it before.

15. I like verzuvius's idea on this one
    But The distance from the tent sounds cool too.

The tent seems more logical but I'm happy with either or

16. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

imo, this means losing one flag just erases your chances of success. I would prefer maybe 6-7 seconds instead of 10, but the idea seems testable.

Verzuvius and PUNK123 like this.
  17. Pharphis

Pharphis Tree Planter

Agreeing with those who say that if you lose a flag first, you'll almost certainly lose. That is a HUGE disadvantage, and it shouldn't just be the first team to cap a flag wins by default

DatNobby likes this.
  18. tru0067

tru0067 Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester

Make more maps with just one flag. Make multiple flags special, not the norm. This would reduce stalemates, especially if the flags are still hard to defend and not right next to spawn.

19. Verzuvius

Verzuvius Shark Slayer

Well, I think that the all the players will learn how important it is to rush at beginning. People would be better at KAG. :thumbs_up:

20. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I hate waiting for 10 or so secs re spawns. Im with Anonymuse.

Mods: Rainbows