1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1656] Bugged sound

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Adikso, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Adikso

Adikso Base Burner
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Category: KAG Client
    Operating system: Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit)
    Build number: 1656, but it exists for very long time
    Description: Sound is just bugged. I hear sounds from a very long distance. Sounds are also played mostly from only one and wrong audio channel. Bug also existed on my previous Ubuntu installation. It makes KAG unplayable. I have to switch to Windows everytime.
    Steps to reproduce: Just play
    Screenshots/Videos:
    Sound can be out of sync because i recorded it separately. PLEASE WATCH WHOLE VIDEO.

And also some additional sound samples:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26276441/show/kag-probka1.ogg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26276441/show/kag-probka2.ogg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  2. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

I have a lot of similar issues with audio, when my sound does play it the audio channels are often messed up. Another experience I've had is that collapses cause lots of odd sound artifacts at extremely high volume. However kag doesn't play well with my current audio drivers so unless I unplug my headphones I don't get sound at all.

When I have more free time over winter break, I'll probably be looking into fixing/playing around with the audio portion of the engine, although I don't know how much I can really accomplish. In the mean time do you mind sharing what audio drivers you are using?

norill, zerd and Kazaco97 like this.
  3. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

A recent build added a workaround that reverses channels.

That especially, irrklang sound support under linux sounds (pun not intended) terrible.

I assume pulseaudio is what most linux users uses. Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch and a lot more are using PA by default.

4. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Reversing the channels doesn't seem to work correctly in my experience, there is something else wrong.
    And yes from what I've read the irrklang support for linux and codebase in general has a lot of issues.
    I use pulse audio, but it wasn't the default for my distro (ubuntu) when I switched.

5. Adikso

Adikso Base Burner
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

I'm using Ubuntu with default ALSA + Pulseaudio.

6. zerd

zerd Arsonist
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Just a quick note:
    I am often missing sounds in game, most often on heavily populated servers.
    I mostly notice this when my charge sounds (playing as archer) does not play. Swapping classes back and forth eventually fixes the issue for me, but is rarely worth the effort given how many attempts it might take.

I do not find the charge animation on crosshair useful since I am actively moving that around, so using sounds to help timing certain shots is what I find optimal, and not being able to do that in the heat of battle can be quite infuriating

Let me know if you think hardware stats might help you find the cause. I have been asking around on servers though, and it seems to be a problem most attentive players have encountered.

Osmal and 8x like this.
  7. Adikso

Adikso Base Burner
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Few months ahead and I am back to play KAG again. (I made a break because of that bug).
    Bug still occurs ;c

But it's working correctly with Windows version on Wine...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    PUNK123 and makmoud98 like this.
  8. Adikso

Adikso Base Burner
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

Problem still occurs. Please fix :C

9. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

It's most likely an issue w/ IrrKlang. There's been an update w/ a lot of fixes and performance optimizations for Linux. @Geti

10. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Archived a duplicate bug report (keeping this one as it is more complete)
    Adding the Mac tag as this seems to affect it as well.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 14, 2018, Original Post Date: Aug 15, 2017 ---
    Fixed next build.
    It seemed to be due to listener coordinate weirdness, which probably only affected Mac and Linux because IrrKlang is in charge of positional audio here, instead of letting DirectSound do it on Windows.

Fuzzle likes this.