1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[1859] New maps on official servers?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Eluded, May 20, 2016.

Tags:
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Eluded

Eluded Haxor Official Server Admin

I think many of us would appreciate some fresh maps on the official servers. There's a cycle of the same 15 or so at the minute which gets a bit boring.
    I guess the main argument against this is "if you want new maps go play on a non-official server". But doing this isn't really an option most of the time because the official servers are the only ones with enough players for a decent game.

2. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

3. Eluded

@bru-jaz that's not really what I'm asking. I think new maps would be good, not mods. The vanilla game is fine as it is.

vale_valerio likes this.
  4. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

The official modded server has an option in the survey for "Community maps" which would probably solve your issue. Otherwise cerberos rift just had a little update and i'd say the maps are fine as they are, maybe a couple more would be nice but not a bunch more. Why not more? Many other things are important to the development and balancing to KAG other than more maps, and what i've seen from new maps on TDM the more maps that come out the crappier they are. The two new TDM maps were absolute running, camping, grain trash that really just prolonged matches into a screeching halt.

Lot's of the expanded CTF modded servers have players on them at any given points and the reason unofficial servers have no players usually is because there really ISN'T any unofficial server that isn't modded and the ones that aren't just are plain vanilla KAG with no new maps, destroying the point of even playing on it. Why play on unofficial when it's the same as official? It's just more dangerous due to lack of admins/punishments for griefing. My suggestion would be to make your own server and add in whatever maps you want, appoint admins that can be trusted not to abuse their power, make rules and do some things to try and make it interesting and deviate from official servers but stay close to vanilla roots. Try to find a way to add things like a /stats command and other things to keep players going "Well it's not TOTALLY like official, it's worth giving a go."

In short, new maps would be nice but shouldn't be in huge priority IMO.

5. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Because telling people "hey, if you make some nice CTF maps we'll add it!" is a fucking hard thing to do. Do you really think only THD team can make maps?? It takes literally 1 minute to add maps made by the community. If geti or furai would say "We need ctf maps, make some" i woudl make some, but i don't have the motivation if i don't know if they will get used.

6. an_obamanation

Answer =
    Which means they KNOW community maps are a thing, but I guess they're nervous about how other community members would react to a certain players map? I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it but all I know is that this is how they're doing it. Which is not requesting them.

Answer = When I've stated that community maps are being considered an option on the modded official servers being planned, i'm pretty sure I know that maps can be made by the whole community.

Answer = Have you tried talking to them about this? Maybe they'd listen to you if you showed them some of your maps and asked about adding them to the official roster to get community feedback, if you have done this then I don't know what to tell you other than keep trying if you wanna see change, or if you don't give a shit about trying then don't try. Simple as that.

It's up to the THD team to decide whether to add community maps or to stick with the ones they've made and trust themselves with updating and such. Never said that I liked the fact that they aren't requesting maps from the community (Nor did I say that the community makes shitty maps or can't make maps at all) but if that's the way things are then i'll make the assumption that they don't want community maps, and will move on and try to get some other solution. It'd be cool to see some kind of community map system though.

7. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

• have not played on new version of cerbero's rift so i will refrain from raining my tears on your post
    • All the maps have a junky feel to them for me and i especially dislike that so many have "doubleflags"
    • All tdm maps are shit no exceptions
    • [insert more opinions that no one cares about]

EhRa likes this.
  8. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

1. community maps are already there, no idea why that option is in the thread, they should just ask for maps. good = accept, bad = dont accept, simple, some can be as good as official maps
    2. i will not make ctf maps until they clearly tell "make ctf maps". else noone will use my maps and all my hard work would go for nothing.

9. an_obamanation

• I haven't been able to get it yet, hope I do soon!
    • That's probably because you're used to them so you know what the best strats are and that makes them repetitive. Also FUCK, DOUBLEFLAGS, HARD.
    • Ehh, I'm neutral to most of them, loved the two closed in ones, hated the ones that were way too open. The maps for tdm aren't shit, but tdm itself is just shit
    • I care :<

10. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

@Furai would you add new maps to CTF if they would be good enough

11. PUNK123

Not even strategy wise they are just uncomfortable for no freaking reason.
    [​IMG]
    Why do we need more than 1 map with the flag below the tent/spawn. Is it just to idiotproof people walking thru doors?
    [​IMG]
    What up with all that extra shizz. No issue with the water but those random stone blocks(especially the two at ground level) really bug me and i dont see them as having any real purpose for being on the map
    [​IMG]
    No real issues i just dislike the uneven-ness but compared to other maps it isnt that bad.
    [​IMG]
    Just wth. Is the map suppose to be a stalemate/tunnelfest. Also really dislike the blocks already placed infront of the flag. Leads to shitty flagroom(unless you remove the blocks which still leads to time wasting)
    [​IMG]
    First the minimap doesnt work on this map, then the floatly flag up there is never really cool imo but i cant really flame official servers for running this
    [​IMG]
    Floatly flag up there never gets defended because impossible to secure, tunnelfest at mid(whoever gets bottom wins is overall irking)
    [​IMG]
    Wtf is mid even. Cant complain about flag placement tho :c
    [​IMG]
    No real issue just uncomfortable dirt blocks and floaty flag again
    [​IMG]
    Screw double flags. Other than that no real issue.
    [​IMG]
    no real issue, but could be because ive just had too much fun on this map to whine

I didnt get a screen for the dragon map but it is the worst. Bad flag placement, shitty shitty mid, and overall troll. Literally upward facing platforms, sharks, and a mine on top, for mid. Are you freaking serious?

Eluded, an_obamanation and bunnie like this.
  12. an_obamanation

I know which one you're talking about, and yes, fuck that map.

bunnie and PUNK123 like this.
  13. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

We just had like a month ago polls and everything for new maps. Back then all of you reminded silent even though I've asked for input. We've added maps. If you have any constructive input (I didn't read this thread through) and actually other players approve it - I might consider adding/removing maps, again. What about TDM?

Eluded, EhRa and bunnie like this.
  14. PUNK123

I'd like to make it clear i wasnt active during this time and had no idea it was going on. Also that doesnt exclude you from being to blame for not having any quality controll :). Also dont worry not all the maps that have bad aspects are from the community poll :)

15. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Quality control, bah, how am I supposed to do that on limited resources/time frame? You guys play the game, you should know what maps do you like and why. Anyway, if you come up with any solid ideas (with mapcycle and maps uploaded to the thread) I'll revisit it.

PUNK123 likes this.
  16. Eluded

Well @8x has made a pack of community-made heads. Why don't we do the same thing with community made maps. Then perhaps we can vote on the best 5 or so to be added.

17. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

That's basically what we did, I put quite some effort in making all the mapcycles and the poll etc, but no one gave a fuck, https://forum.thd.vg/threads/official-kag-mapcycle.24927/
    Doubt this is going to happen again, make a good map and upload it in the resources section, and @mention someone from the admin/dev team to take a look at it

18. PUNK123

the feels man.
    I mean you cant just expect people to make new maps when they werent doing it beforehand. Though i do respect the effort you put in.
    They got alot on their plate and literally all we have is geti and maybe furai. Geti is on vacation and furai hasnt played recently(im pretty sure(might not be the best decider of maps)) so just giving him maps wont really work. And obviously all of this belongs on the backburner considering U.S has legit zero active admins.

an_obamanation likes this.
Mods: Rainbows