1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[203] Acavado Door

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Acavado, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Because evidently the act of spike reorienting themselves is now my name?

basic acavado door.png

When enemies come, from the right, the trap door retracts, the spike reorients itself to the door and damage anyone hitting the wall. Team members can't hurt themselves on this if there is a solid block two tiles up. This isn't to keep teammies from from stupidly jumping on them (though it does), but it prevent them from getting hurt walking through the door as well. Try it without the top block to see.

Hey, look, here I am editing this two months later! This is works more on the principle of Wyeth's auto-spike/air spikes. The effect disappears with the top block added. Or something.

A quick addition to ground doors.

2. NeoTalon27

NeoTalon27 Shipwright

Nice! I didnt know that :)

3. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

Discreet, unassuming, deadly. I love this.

4. nginferno

nginferno Shipwright

seems pretty nice. * notes down*

5. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

Yes and nothing you or anyone can do about it.
    Another very nice "Acavado Structure". If you guys think this should go into the overview post please "like" it. I look around daily and will include everything that has got a bunch of likes.

Its simplistic, easy to build and very effective, a very good upgrade to any structure that incorporates a wall like this aswell.

6. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

hopefully this is as annoying as it looks

edit: allied builders keep breaking it in favor of double doors

7. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

Im not sure in this one,as it creates some sort of cover against your archers...

So,no-no if used in fortresses with archer's shutes.
    Will make a good stopping trap in the tunnel or in the wild though.

8. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Now make an Avacado Castle, which will inadvertently transform into the proverbial gaping maw of Cthulhu as soon as it comes under enemy occupation! =D

9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

oh public players you so fuckheaded.

This is a freaking awesome trap.

Fellere825, Hella, BlueLuigi and 2 others like this.
  10. Zegovia

Zegovia Shark Slayer

Gotta remember that... very nice trap....

11. IloveElectro

IloveElectro Base Burner

Hum..Interesting.. DEADLY POWA =D

12. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Aw punch me, I neglected to append [203] to the front.

Yessir.

Try changing the stone to a team door: it still works but you'll have trouble if there's an archer staying keeping the space open. I'd just put the murder hole a block to the side and allow the archer to shoot at a slight angle.

13. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

cool. Could you also do it above the door for double spike fun?

14. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

I wanted to love this, I really did. But every time I use it, it gets removed by an allied builder. Just immediate gut reaction of "spikes bad!" I suppose. Damn shame, though.

15. Noc

Noc Bison Rider

Ah, how devious. I add a block above too to keep enemies from simply jumping over it.

16. unwoundpath

unwoundpath Arsonist

Sad part is that builders can easily disable it.

17. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

That's to be expected, seeing as cautious builders are the counter for all traps in the game. The point is to kill the unwary.

This doesn't happen to me anymore, I only see a few idiots removing them now. It probably helps that I spread them throughout the map so their use becomes commonplace.

18. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

One thing I've noticed a lot is Knights who just eat the 1 heart damage and stand next to the door twhacking away at it. A simple single-stonefall trap will kill them if you build it quick enough, or you can build it slowly and watch the knights back away from the door, only to realize that if they want to resume damaging it, they'd need to run into the spikes again.

Finally, building these in the "low" areas of the map is far better than walling them off completely. You should still use a stone to block rushing knights if it comes to that, but the second your team's knights and archers give you a moment's peace, you should tear down any stone and build one of these (make sure you have the 100 wood and ~40 stone first).

The reason I suggest this? It can make or break flag captures. Just last night I was on a team that had builders with the "Block off EVERYTHING" mentality. One tried to report me for greifing for breaking down his wall. When they did finally transfer to failknights and butterfly shooters, I set up a great Acavado door and stone-drop trap, killed 4 attacking knights with 1 stonefall (which blew the mind of a nearby archer), and watched as a knight with the flag, who was being tailed by 3 enemy knights, ran through my door, which if left blocked would have resulted in a grisly death for him.

Rainbows and Acavado like this.
  19. nginferno

nginferno Shipwright

how'd you put the stone drop? mind posting a screenie?

20. Zuboki

Zuboki KAG Guard Tester

Certainly! I'm at work now, but I'll do a mockup and edit in a quick, simple screenshot when I can. in the meantime, you can find a trap incorporating both the Acavado door and the stonefall above it in the Abstract Ambuscade topic (shameless self-promotion!). The stonefall mechanism is a few blocks above the door- take note of the nearly broken drawbridge trigger.

EDIT: I deliver!
    acadrop.png

Here's a simple modification of the doorway with the stonefall trap I've described. 1 knock of the drawbridge will drop the two stone blocks, the bottom hitting whoever is in the doorway, and the top usually falling out away from the doorway to catch people who thought they were a "safe distance" away. Of course, this is infinitely modifiable- building it further up gives the enemies more warning, but they're less likely to be looking further away if they're focused on the door. putting the blocks behind the foliage of a tree is an even better surprise.