1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[203] Rhino

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Jackard, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

[​IMG]

This is a small and quick castle that you should be able to finish most of within the build phase, providing that your teammates don't totally screw you over!!! Includes all workshops, an archer nest, and a place for your catapult.

[​IMG]
    begin by placing two stone blocks on either side of tent and then spamming drawbridges to the desired height before filling in the walls. this gives your teammates a visual aid of what you are planning and doesn't block them from reaching tent. drop down to tent whenever you need materials.

[​IMG]
    next fill in doors on top, then build quarters next to right door. placing 3 bomb tiles on left side of quarters will shrink them to what is shown in the picture. break top right corner of quarters and place a drawbridge. use the remaining time in your build phase to make an archers nest

[​IMG]
    you can add some finishing touches afterwards if you feel like it. those legs are pretty thin and could use some background walls for support just in case. and dont forget to stone the floors

2. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

I think this is another pretty great and easy to do structure that definately more people should utilize.
    I got a few small suggestions though:
    1. Move the two "legs" 1 block closer to the tent each. I don't really see what you need the extra space for, except that it takes more materials.
    2. The only real problem I can spot is that this structure takes time out of the busy shedule of knights wanting to go killin', Maybe add a door about 4 blocks above ground in the right pillar? It would be hidden and not reachable for enemy knights without help but let your team advance faster. This is especially important if you use this as a starting fort, as people will be running out of this A LOT. For added clarity I would take a single trapbridge out in front of the added teamdoor on the inside so that your friendlies (they are knights after all ;) ) can actually FIND it (alternatively add a trapbridge there).
    3. The archer outpost on top may cause archers shooting downwards with rapid fire to sometimes hit the lower teamdoor (the door jams open and shut very fast and can sometimes stop arrows, this however happens rarely). Also incautious archers might fall out of it. I will post designs of my own archer outposts later for alternative examples.

3. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Just to be safe. Not all maps place tents correctly. If you build stuff too closely to the tent sometimes it will be broken when players spawn.

The gap is too small to fall out of in my experience. I think you can get through with a knight slash.

4. Wyeth

You can definately get through, but you would need to hold down and right to do it, this can also be good sometimes, but some archers are just a little... special.

5. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Just curious but is there a reason for having no doors at all somewhere along the front leg? With them not being visible they'd be a great fast way early on, and just 4-5 tiles up hinders any jumping in.

6. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

I've done it a few times after Wyeth suggested it, just don't have a screenshot.

7. Wyeth

So how did it work out? Did people use it, got it? Was it better?
    If you decide to incorporate it into your design you should add a screen of it sometime. I am really thinking this should go into the Structure Overview too. Gonna place it there now.
    By the way: Have you tried out that archer thing (being able to drop out of that?)

8. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Never have, saw some [YB] dude try to recently and they couldnt either

9. Wyeth

Ah okay maybe I was missing something... weird I could swear it worked.

10. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Haven't played enough games to tell. Last match was frustrating; never had time to finish the structure, red wasn't doing so great in the field and blues tried a bunch of different shit to break in.

they were able to cata us with impunity and i spent a lot of time on repairs while my team dicked around. we even had a griefer try to collapse it, but we kicked him in time. (they ended up bombing the hole he made to get in the back)

blues ended up resorting to a skybridge and that's when i left. http://imgur.com/a/7BIQD#0

11. Wyeth

I think the startup timer is a little too short nowadys (on small maps aynways). Looks like a pretty messy match!
    Actually I gonna post this in discussion (short map timer being too short).

12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I've managed to make this a few times during startup, or at least very similar structures.

The one thing I always change is I put doors somewhere in the legs where they're not easy to see, about 5+ tiles up. It's very hard to finish it in time at the start especially since now unless you have a lot of people you get very little startup time.

13. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

I think if you have the time you should go for it, but placing the extra doors slows you down, so

try to get the legs, doors and all of the workshops up during the build phase. if there is little time, do one leg and spam quarters to finish it afterwards

14. Bandwagonman

Bandwagonman Shopkeep Stealer

I tried building a shorter and more simpler version of this. Needless to say, it worked fine when I tested it...
    However, in the process, I learned first hand just how much flavor the player base has lost with the recent rush of new players.
    Almost everyone that happened upon the trap-door with the spike on top was weary and didn't want to pass it, instead they tried using the archer nest as an exit, to no avail, of course. I demonstrated several times that it was safe and several people seemed to understand. However, there was one premium player I've never seen before, named "rusher", that simply did not understand. He called me a "griefer" because I was using spikes and threatened to get me "perm banned".

It was just an overall awful experience and I am fearful for anyone else who has to go through the same.

15. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

heh, i've met him before. you get ignorant players like those sometimes, they'll keep breaking your shit while claiming it was "dangerous" or "useless" (the latter of which is none of their fucking business)

aside from that, a griefer like Rusher is unlikely to get anyone "perm banned"