1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[228] Panchinko Trap

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Otreum, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Otreum

Otreum Shipwright

First, a picture.

[​IMG]
    This is a trap I haven't yet seen in game, probably because it takes a while to make but this is more a principle of design rather than an actual design.

This trap was based off the game of Panchinko, only instead of a steal ball falling, it is players falling to their deaths :D

This trap should be built underground however could be built above ground also.

This trap is not builder friendly for enemies and is very difficult and dangerous to make (if you're not careful, you may die a lot.

The trap consists of a pit, and a staggered pattern of team bridges each surrounded with spikes. With a bottom that has uneven ground.
    Even if a builder survives the fall through this trap (which he won't) it still won't protect any other falling enemies as the builder will have a hard time getting up the top of the trap to clear the other spikes and other team bridges.
    The only thing the trap is really vulnerable to is catapult fire, however team bridges can be added in layers above to protect the trap beneath.

Looking at the picture you may think it would be easy to jump over the trap, which is true, however all pits should have a blocking wall on the other side or tall tower to prevent bomb jumpers from bouncing right on over.
    Of course another solution is to make a massively wide pit using the same principles that would not allow enemies to bomb jump over.

Has anybody used this method before?
    What are your thoughts on effectiveness?

And what improvements/suggestions have you made or could you possibly make?

EDIT Wyeth: Read the Guidelines, added build numbers to both your threads

2. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

I'm wonder what is the purpose of the staggered pattern of team bridges surrounded with spikes. These apparently can't be hit by enemies unless they glitch'n lag, since enemies that get close to them make the bridges retract, which makes the spikes turn into wall spikes, which are harmless. I think that's the intention, that enemies will hit the pattern when falling? Or not? There were a couple of these in the old really big thread of builder stuff.

Maybe if the bridges were replaced with stone. Maybe some alterations in the pattern.

3. Otreum

Otreum Shipwright

Well, having just tested it in a server just then, it worked great! However there was a flaw, and that was when a builder comes along and builds a stone bridge across the top, but that only occured as I was the last one left on my team, and they had a full team plus 5 players in reserve. I did kill the builder as he started building, plus about 5-7 guys as an archer (because some knights fell into the trap after I threw a bomb behind them (they bounced up, hit a spike in the overhang on the tower, then fell down through the panchinko and got shredded.)

The trap would have been more successful had there been more people defending our tower.

I think what you may be talking about Acavado is that if spikes are left in an open gap they don't do damage, which is true. However when they are attached to an object, they do damage. And since the enemies just fall through all the spikes...they get shredded :D

Also, my apologies Wyeth, I will write the version numbers next time ;)

4. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Nono. I mean, yesyes. That's what I mean. That is, the thing was that spikes weren't to be attached to team bridges, because when spikes are attached to team bridges in particular, they turn into spikes left in an open gap when an enemy gets near the team bridge.

5. Otreum

Otreum Shipwright

Ah ok.....not too sure on that one, but I definately know it works. If only freebuild we could switch team, and turn on damage and change class to test these things :D

6. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Oh, actually after you posted that it worked, I mapped in this trap in MS Paint and loaded it up into KAG and jumped in it a few times.

What I got was that while usually I fell through, if I jumped in and move diagonally I could hit a spike. If you fall fast enough, the bridge doesn't have time to retract and you can hit a spike, even jump from the bridge. I think something like this could be successful if you build a wall up around it and force enemies to jump from up high and build a thicker pattern of spikes near the bottom of the trap. I wasn't able to hit any of the spikes on the sides or bottom though and I think you could remove those to save materials.

7. Otreum

Otreum Shipwright

Yeah, you are right. I think until the developer implements a system where if you slide down a wall of spikes, you get shredded, then wall spikes will be more effective. When you hit a spike wall, you only get hurt once from one spike.

And it's almost a guarantee that people will fall down the trap diagonally. "Panchinko trap was super effective" :D

I need to a find a way to prevent builders from bridging across the trap easily I think.

I am thinking that the real only effective way is to have a archers nest/hole above the enemy and infront of the enemy, also on an upper diagonal to the enemy so that they have to block 3 different angles to protect the builder.

8. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

How deep was your spike pit?

9. Otreum

Otreum Shipwright

I think 13 blocks high? It was half the height of the one shown in the example in the first post. And 1 block shorter as I did it wrong...still worked all the same :p

10. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Seems awful huge for what an ordinary spike trap could do just as well.

11. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

Mumblemumblemokay, I don't think it's fair to dis your trap without actually having a showable reason. Link to what I mean.

I think when it comes down to it, for a general spike trap, make it 15 tiles deep and do the whole bumpy floor thing and it'll 1HKO them enemies.

12. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Spikes on drawbridges only hurt the enemy when they're going so fast that they would be dead by hitting the ground spikes I think...

(but they might not die hitting a non-spikes drawbridge first)
    I usually see more of my teammates killed by spiked bridges than enemies.

13. Otreum

Otreum Shipwright

Yeah, I suppose the trap also looks cooler and scarier than just any old spike pit, while it may be just as practical as any others, I find that nobody manages to hit the bottom of it alive, as after 3 spike hits, they are dead. Where as a standard pit, people just land down the bottom, and are still alive with 2 hearts left, that's why I posted this design even if it isn't original, it works very well.

I use other traps also, such as the basic spiked bridges which are also super effective, especially if they are at the bottom of every drop on your teams side of the hill in the middle of the map (assuming it is a map with a hill in the middle).