1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[228] Stormy Structures!

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Wyeth, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Wyeth

Wyeth KAG Guard Donator Tester

So after working on it for a while I think I am more or less finished with my series of structures that help out with storming the enemy castle, boarding it and generally little pieces you can throw around the map willy-nilly. All the structures in this series are low price, time effective ones that you can build right where the action is.

Canopy
    Canopy.png

Sadly I got beaten to the punch on this one, Dallas-13 allready posted a more developed design which is more or less the same when it comes down to it (check it out here: [228] Spiked Hallway). You could say its the Canopies big bro'.

How to build? Put two castle back walls wherever you got the space (LOOK OUT FOR TREES). The area should be relatively flat. After that you simply put a horizontal line of castle walls like its displayed, add a "nosoe" of 2-4 blocks and lastly some 3-4 spikes that alternate in position (Do not put two spikes in the same column as they will support the building and then you can't quickly collapse it!). Additionally I like to hit the above castle wall 4 times to make a quick collapse possible in case the enemy somehow manages to overrun it (nothing like squashed enemies in the morning).
    Also note that building this too close to a higher enemy structure lessens the effect of it tremendously as enemy knights can simply jump over the nose from the top of their tower, rendering it pretty useless.

How to use? The "clean" area on the left is where friendly knights should be standing, shielding forward and basically keeping the enemy in the "spiked" area. A simple slash even when the enemy is blocking will send him flying and pinballing' between the spikes on top and bottom and will severely wound him or even kill him immediately. Even a normal sucessful stab causes knockback which has the same effect (so basically its a knight booster). Since its not very high it is possible to simply jump on top from your side and climb the "nose" to jump down with a good height advantage. The "nose" also stops enemies from doing the same from their side. A single stone block and the lower tunnel is effectively blocked keeping the builder safe and secure while not stopping your friends from using the upper path, if you want to let the friends come back in simply destroy the single stone block (takes a bit but not too long, I normally destroy it as soon as we are winning the fight on the other side).
    It also stops archer and cata fire to an extend.

Cost?
    2 castle back walls : 4 stone
    min. ~7 castle walls: 70 stone
    min. ~ 3 spikes: 30 stone
    ===================
    about 104 stone

2. Wyeth

Bubble
    bubble.png

This one became my main "breaking & entering" tool. It may seem very counter intuitive first, but it can work wonders! So keep an open mind. The wall on the right is an enemy tower wall that is at least 15 blocks high.

How to build? Easy-peasy, run up to a high tower wall, ladder up like you normally would (destroy any enemy teambridges/ladders in the process or afterwards, you should definately do that). The tricky thing is you need to wait for a few knights of your team to accompany you, so basically after a sucessful push is a good time. After you laddered up a bit (high enough so that a knight cannot reach you) build a bubble of castle walls (like in the picture, basically a box that is open on the bottom). After it is finished put two ladders like in the picture, since you can "sit" on it and be as high up as you possibly can. After you made a way up for your team only (teambridges) you start digging into the wall. You slowly work your way through and keep repairing the bubble before anyone breaches it (which should be easy since you are normally taking away their castle wall, thus netting you 10 stone everytime the enemy is about to break a castle wall of the bubble). Spikes are optional, but at least one spike below your teambridges is a MUST!

How to use? You want some knights to stay in the bubble with you. As enemies now need to actually drop around the bubble and attack YOU from below (giving your guys height advantage) defending you while inside is easy as pie. The knights just keep drop slashing and insta killing the enemies that are below the bubble while you concentrate completely on eating away on the wall. It's pretty straight forward. One minor thing. There is a bug that allows archers to pierce 1 block thick castle walls, if you got an archer on top who tries to pull this trick just don't stand on the ladders but instead stay on the teambridges a bit more below. He can only hurt you if you are directly on the other side of the wall.

Cost?
    ~6 castle walls: 60 stone
    1 must-have-spike: 10 stone
    ~ 3-4 trapbridges: 40 wood
    2 ladders: 4 wood
    More ladders to initially ladder up, but you normally replace them with trap bridges once you got the bubble up.
    ===================
    about 70 stone
    about 50 wood

Wixmef, FuzzyBlueBaron, Beef and 5 others like this.
  3. Wyeth

Sentinel
    Sentinel.png

This one is not a fortification so much as it is a tool to aid knights in battle. It is a very different kind of structure and you need to coordinate with a friendly knight who is actually able to use it in order for it to work. This is not something that people can do intuitively. Do not use in public without a friendly knight who is experienced with this object. It won't work.

How to build? Setup a 2*3 block of castle back walls, add one castle back wall in the middle (will look kinda like a upside down T). Add teamdoors left and right next to the middle castle back wall and one on top of it. Add two trapbridges left and right above the teamdoors (you can do all of this while standing in the center of the structure, maybe you need to jump slightly when adding trap bridges). Lastly add 2 spikes, one on the left below the team door and one on the right (as seen in the picture). Do not add more or the structure will not function correctly and do not add them on a different block without prior testing.
    This structure can be build to secure an area more, as it is relatively sturdy you can easily build it on the front line if you think your teammates will profit from it. Really just more for teamfights/with friends.

How to use? Building is pretty easy, the hard part is the usage. First off: the two spikes on the bottom are teamwise completely harmless, you can stand below them and jump upwards directly into them and it won't hurt or hit you. The only way I have found to impale a teammate on them is to vault into them from below in a very odd unnatural fashion. So don't do that. So basically as a knight you can stand on top of it and have height advantage, that is pretty self explanatory, drop slashes and all that good stuff. Special about it is that you can actually drop down THROUGH the structure if someone is below it. Meaning the enemy can't use the structure against you very well. Even while standing below it or to the side you can simply drop slash through it and hit him. You can also drop down slightly to stand on the gap between the two team doors. Just slashing normally will result in a hit registered below, be wary though as standing there also works the other way around (meaning if he happens to slash while standing below and you positioned yourself on the gap he will be able to hurt you). Best is to charge up, then drop and slash. If you are positioned under it and the enemy hopped on top of it you can actually simply charge up and jump slash, your hit will register and he gets thrown of the sentinel. You can also at any time position yourself slightly to the left or right and a jump will bring you immediately up on the structure. Think of it like using in zero gravity. All in all the knight needs experience with it and needs to know how to work it, but once he does... its so fun to fight on it. Try it out!

Cost?
    7 castle back walls: 14 stone
    2 spikes: 20 stone
    3 team doors: 90 wood
    2 trap bridges: 40 wood
    ===================
    exactly 34 stone
    exactly 130 wood

Relatively pricey.

4. Wyeth

Guy Fawkes
    guyfawkes_04.png

This one looks pretty odd. I called it Guy Fawkes or Guy Fawkes trap. If you get it, good for you! Have a cookie. Despite looking odd every single block is a integral part of the overall design, if you take away one of them, the whole structure doesn't work correctly anymore.
    I am only referring to the very left one (the simple one) the one in the middle is simply how you chain them together (yeah there need to be 2 spaces in order for it to work in chains), the right one is a way to make this one more safe for your team, but increases the cost and build time about double!

How to build? Put a simple column of castle back walls up, normally about 3. Then add a stone on the very top (above the 3rd castle back wall), then add the second stone right below it. Add the three trap bridges, hit the middle one ONE time and place two spikes left and right from the castle back walls. The placement of this is very important. Do not place it somewhere where teammates naturally jump into the spikes (for example with a ledge on the side they are comming from -> they will jump into the spikes 60% of the time because they don't pay attention to hazards in a "safe-zone". It should generally be placed on a flat surface and chained together for added effect. Since this trap is easy to disarm it should be build close to the fighting grounds (fleeing enemies or chasing enemies will often make mistakes and hurt themselves on it).

How to use? This trap is very easy to disarm by enemies. But its not hard to enable it again. There should be a builder close by to watch over it and maintain it if possible. What basically happens. Enemies hurt themselves on WALK-OVER. Meaning the spikes auto-impale. This only works as long as the broken teambridge is there. So if the enemy destroys the teambridge the trap reverts to a normal spike trap. Placing it again and hitting it once enables it again. I will explain this concept throughly in this guide. These spikes will hurt the enemy as long as he walks fast enough while he tries to walk over the pillar. This only applies to your enemies. As long as the trap bridge on top is OPEN the spikes are a danger on walk-over. So normally they are pretty harmless to your teammates (as long as they don't jump into them). Your mates can also use the trap bridges to get on top and use it for high ground and it gives decent archer cover. The two stones in the middle stop enemies from jumping over.

Cost?
    2 castle back wall: 4 stone
    (3 originally but one gets a castle wall placed over it, which discounts the castle wall to 8 stone, balancing it out)
    2 castle wall: 20 stone
    2 spikes: 20 stone
    3 trap bridges: 60 wood
    ===================
    exactly 44 stone
    exactly 60 wood

5. Wyeth

Stopper
    stopper_02.png

The stopper is actually sort of a pre-linepiece. You can extremely quickly make it grow into a proper wall with a perfect spike trap in the front. Isn't that neat?

How to build? Dig one hole or use a ledge, put 2 castle back walls on top of the hole (you may need to put one into the hole aswell, so that would be 3 then). Place a castle wall 2 blocks above the hole in the ground and shifted one to your teams side (the picture shows the correct positioning). Build 2 trap bridges on top and place the spike below them. This can basically be build everywhere. I like to simply spam build wherever I am if I got the ressources. Obviously its supposed to be more to the front wall but it also doesnt hurt farer to the back as its extremely tricky for your teammates to impale themselves in it.

To upgrade it into the bigger wall with spikes in the front you just need to add castle walls. Make sure to add the castle wall in the hole first (below the spikes) and then simply fill in the blanks. Takes about 2 seconds and 50 stone.

How to use? The stopper is more of a stub. It is to be developed into a proper structure on the drop of a hat if enemies draw close, but even in itself it can make an effective trap if enemies are being careless (spikes do auto-impale, like I stated before I will make a proper guide to auto-spikes and air-spikes later). These spikes placed in the air are very potent and will impale much more agressively than normal spikes. A special thing to note about this is that being shoved into the spikes will normally instantly kill (shoving via shield, a knight walking towards another knight shoving him against the trap).

Cost?
    1 castle wall: 10 stone
    1 spike: 10 stone
    3 castle back wall: 6 stone
    2 trap bridges: 40 wood
    ===================
    exactly 26 stone
    exactly 40 wood

6. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Holy shit nice work man. Your research is paying off well. I just need to be able to remember how and when to build all of them now :P

7. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

I've been using bubble for a long time.I've always built it on a ground level,when there are 2-3 knights with me.
    Usually I block the entrance with stone so team knights cant run away and start digging into wall.Knights catch my idea pretty soon and get ready for assault.

8. Wyeth

But the bubble on ground level is not nearly as safe as building it in mid air like this, I mean its much less of an advantage except if you build yourself in completely which also works but produces other problems. A big part of what makes this effective in my eyes is being able to create artificial high ground for the knights guarding you.

9. ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker Horde Gibber

Well,building it on the upper level is more risky as it requires covering knights with shield, a rare species if you ask me :S
    The main idea of the bubble is to make attackers and defenders equal : bubble in the air will give you advantage,but its harder to build.

But once you've built it,you're total boss,so I want to try it out.

Noburu, BlueLuigi and Wyeth like this.