1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[265] Most Inexpensive Trap?

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by BC, Jan 12, 2012.

1. BC

BC Bison Rider

(Update 2)
    The spike traps in this post aren't very effective in the current update [281]. Instead, try using a trap from one of the following links:
    http://kagforum.com/index.php?threads/281-cheap-but-effective-3x3-spike-trap.3491/
    http://kagforum.com/index.php?threads/281-cheap-and-effective-spike-trap.3498/
    http://kagforum.com/index.php?threads/281-corner-spikes.3445/

My new favorite trap is simple, fast to build and inexpensive. Its a 2x2 hole with one trap bridge and one set of spikes.

left.jpg

If you're on the red team, put the trap bridge and spikes on the right side:

right.jpg

Each trap only costs 20 lumber and 10 stone, so build them everywhere. With so many traps, even the best players occasionally fall in them :D

simpletrap.jpg

(Update 1)
    Here's a compact version of the trap. It costs the same but takes less time to make:

left_compact.jpg right_compact.jpg

The compact trap was ParaLogia's idea, thanks ParaLogia!

2. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Cheap, hidden, inexpensive, I like it!

One problem though: You didn't add the build number to the thread title! Read this thread.

3. BC

BC Bison Rider

Oops! I don't think I can change the title.

4. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

5. BC

BC Bison Rider

6. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

If you put a stone block under the spikes it stops enemies digging out the dirt from under them, but that does add 10 stone, so only if you're swimming in the stuff...

7. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Couldn't you make it cheaper (and much quicker) by digging only a 2x1 hole with the spikes right next to the platform? Or is my reasoning wrong?

BC likes this.
  8. knightl

knightl Base Burner

that would work in theory but the best part about this trap it seems is its hidden and i don't think your way will have it hidden

9. taco_frog

taco_frog Shipwright

This trap is really good, used it today and really enjoyed placing it at the bottom of towers and in small tunnls where it was hard to jump.
    thanks for this great trap

10. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

A further thought/reason why a 2x2 hole is better: 2x1 allows people to scramble at the edges and wind up not getting hurt - the extra 1 tile drop ensures they get spiked. :)

11. Arlus

Arlus Shopkeep Stealer

In the previous versions, one spike in a 2 cases large hole, you could avoid it but I'm not sure, can someone confirm that now it's impossible ? Accordong to my experiences, I get hurt everytime now.

12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You can avoid it, spiking both tiles is better, or auto spikes

13. BC

BC Bison Rider

Your right! I started using the more compact trap, I like it! The only downside is that enemies sometimes slide into the trap without getting hurt. I like to put a wall next to the trap, the enemies are more likely to jump in it :)

I added your trap to the post, great idea!

14. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Instead of a 2x1 hole, you just repeat it next to each other over and over(Keeping it 1 tile deep), and you have a simple spike floor.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Very fast to make, just space out your bridges and fill the spikes in afterwards.

BC likes this.
  15. BC

BC Bison Rider

Ohhhh, another good idea, i gotta try that :D

16. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Could also do it on ground level, just replace the dirt blocks with stone blocks in the example I provided.
    It's much faster because you don't need to dig.
    Although it adds 20 stone to the cost.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.