1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[319] New ways to do arced shots?

Discussion in 'Archer' started by AnRK, Mar 16, 2012.

1. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Archer was pretty much the only thing I was half good at before the new build other then been a semi competent offensive builder. Now I'm terrible at everything, although my swordfighting has got a bit better due to having to take knight more then I'd want to cos of it, I've always been shit at smash brothers and I don't think I've got the reflexes for the whole thing really. The major problem is firing at high angles, and I can't see an effective way of been able to focus on your target and firing arc simultaneously, anyone got any tips on hoe to fire at high angke without continually checking where you last arrow just landed, then trying to deviate from the arc you were using, which you have to try and mentally reference which you move your field of view was to check where there arrow you just fired went, thus making it pretty hard...

2. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

If I need to do lobbed shots, I first scan the area in front of me and then I aim up. I tend to know where the arrow is headed based on experience and tend to know how close I am. To know if I hit, I use coins as a reference, by default on most servers, 5 coins per hit on a person, 15 for a cata. Anyways, I'd consider it a skill to know where you arrows are hitting even if you can't see them.

acridstone, GHOZT and Rayne like this.
  3. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Yeah I used to be alright at judging shots on and off screen before they took the zoom out away from us, when your playing on a pub game noone targets catas, frontlines and behind them alike, lobbing prospective shots out based on where the stones are coming from is the only way of safely dealing with it most of the time. I guess it's pretty much the same principle with a bit more skill involved now, just wondering if anyone had any useful ways of zeroing in on targets but I guess I just need to start leaning how to shoot again.

4. cmblast

cmblast Shopkeep Stealer

One thing I have been doing is fully extending my view fully, and marking about where on the edge of the screen I am firing, I.E: 3/4 of an inch from the corner. Then just get used to doing that, and remember your trajectories!

5. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Yeah I used to know my trajectories pretty well in the old zoom, I need to quit been so lazy and learn to aim without seeing my target, plus I keep trying to be knight, and while it's kinda useful for when you need to help rush or grind out a defence and shield archers/spam bombs, I'm really shit at proper swordfighting when I'm not in a huge mob.

6. Hoj

Hoj Builder Stabber

Since there is no wind in the game; arced shots can be remembered over time. A lot of useful arced shots can be done with low-power to get over walls or other structures. Trying to aim and focus on a single point is also useful. A high traffic area on the field is a target naturally. Shooting over a knights shield into a builder or archer is possible. Just remember that just becasue a knight has a shield doesnt mean they can block all incoming fire.

7. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Yeah I know most of the basics of archery now but cheers, been playing a good few months, just the lack of zooming out has messed with my aim overall.

8. Hoj

Hoj Builder Stabber

I wasn't here when full zoom was active so i've had to figure some new ways to target people. Matching the arch of another shooters path in the air is a great way to reach out and touch them. Just pretend that full zoom is still there and it'll seem like it never went away. Picture it in you're minds eyen so to speak and you can match those shots perfectly.

9. L-III-III-7

L-III-III-7 Shopkeep Stealer

really wish the zoom was back for atleast the archers instead of the scroll

10. Guro

Guro SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM

Judging the trajectory and angles for arcing shots comes largely from experience and practice. If you stay still and try to take an educated guess at where the arrow will land, you can normally correct your shots well enough to hit a stationary target in the first three arrows or so. Keeping your mouse in a single location and moving your actual character back and forth several steps may also be an easier way to correct the destination of your arrows if you need a precise method of shot trajecory correction and don't feel comfortable with changing the angle arc. It's all about practice and patience in my honest opinion, but that sort of goes hand in hand with most learned skills in competitive team based video-games.

While it is true that long distance arc shots have become less effective due to the removal of full-zoom, it is still possible (albeit more difficult) to hit off screen targets with arced arrows by using their arrow shot angles as a point of refererence for where to place your own shots. Of course this comes with an increased level of difficulty. When it comes to hitting off screen knights with arced arrows it all comes down to luck though. Luck and spam. Lots of spam.