1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[370] Aer's Archer Tower and Door Trap

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by Aer, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Aer

Aer Shipwright

Here are 2 structures I've been making lately.

Aer's Archer Tower
    [​IMG]

Stone 3 blocks high off ground to keep sharp swords away from weak wood. Medium amount of supplies needed.
    Add a Bed and/or Outpost behind it and can be useful in front lines.

Another thing I've been making(as seen above on my tower, and here as an addition on my Avocado Turtles), I call them the Aer Exchange Door Trap
    [​IMG]

The spikes on the doors harm enemies, and unless you manage to trick jump on the one block underneath the doors, you will not be harmed on these as they will open for friendly players.

2. knightl

knightl Base Burner

For the 2nd design I would stone the dirt outside of it otherwise its just a matter of removing a few dirt tiles.

3. Hoj

Hoj Builder Stabber

On the ground in front of the tower put stones down every other tile. This way Knights cannot dig under it. At the same time you save time and stone. A three block high door won't last very long. Think like a hungry Knight and you will see the problem. Knights will stack up in front of it and smash it open. A good tower should have seven or eight blocks on the bottom for a better defence. Also, note the fact that any tower fifteen blocks or higher will hurt you if you fall down.

4. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Alright, I played around with your designs a bit and here is what I found;

[​IMG]
    Notes: This is a pretty good tower, but there are a few things you should reevaluate here.

Green circles: Not sure what the point of these stone blocks are, none of them effect the tower positively.
    Orange circles: Those spikes will never hurt the enemy, so not really sure why they're there.
    Blue circles: You would be better off doing this:
    :castle_wall:
    :door:
    :castle_wall::bridge:
    :castle_wall::bridge:
    :castle_wall::spikes:
    :castle_wall::dirt_bg::castle_wall::dirt::dirt:
    :castle_wall::dirt_bg::castle_wall::dirt::dirt:
    Note that the spike points downward, and the solid block (bridge) 2 squares above disables the spike to friendlies but an enemy takes 1-2 hearts of damage. ~Developed by Wyeth
    (click above to view commentaries on the Tower)
    [​IMG]

Notes: This trap building is extremely effective, to enemies and your team, I think you would have a hard time convincing your team to not destroy it if you built this in-game.

Green circles: I tested these, and walking through the trap, from LEFT to RIGHT you take no damage (without jumping, simply walking). However, if you walk from the RIGHT to the LEFT you take 1-2 hearts of damage. (sometimes, not really sure why). This building is too dangerous I think.
    Orange circles: If you try to jump up on top through the door, you will instantly die or take 2 hearts of damage. These make the trap the most effective, but again, they're too dangerous.
    Blue circles: Usually Acavado spikes work the best if you use something to "force" an enemy to jump, right where it is now few enemies would die to that.
    (click above to view commentaries on the Trap)

Anyway, they're nice designs, you just need to refine them a little bit more. The trap building need an overhaul though, it would take a lot to make that useful in a real game, unless you just set it up without expecting "help" from your team.

Attached Files:

Chinizz and Redigit like this.
  5. CoD

CoD Haxor

Not bad designs, but definetely go with killatron's ideas they would be significant improvments on your tower.

Froghead48 and Ghozt like this.
  6. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

As many have said, the enterance is far too low, and the tower looks like it could use some more trapbridges/ladders for your archers to stand on, especially because stuns knock you off ladders (or is this just outdated/wrong info?), and you never know...

7. Kater

Kater Horde Gibber

To be very very honest, the 2nd tower is a big fail.

1. Archer's can shoot under the Team Door's very eaily.

2. A clever knight could destroy the Building with 1 - 2 bomb's.

3. So easy to destroy cause the Team Door's can collaps if a builder only touched them.

Besides: why is the spike left of the 2nd tower red? :3

8. Bunnyboy

Bunnyboy Haxor

Red circle:This part looks like it will hurt team-mates
    Pink circle:Remove this block to create another archer spot. ( just use bridges to get up.
    Blue circle:For a front line building its abit to skinny for me, try reinforcing it.

Attached Files:

9. Hoj

Hoj Builder Stabber

More than three blocks is required in most circumstances when building a fortress. Knights get under the doorway and stack up to reach the top; knight stacking occurs almost in every game that i've seen. On flat ground there are only so many possible configurations of the tower design. In custom maps the sky is the limit on what can be made. Large holes in the ground offer a higher vantage point; at the same time those holes are a threat to the bottom of any structure. When you build a base think like the builder from the other team as to what weak points exist. Using this method you can point out flaws in a base.

10. Gamerbro

Gamerbro Drill Rusher

those towers look bad ass D: