1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

(415) Adding water to maps (new and old)

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Awesomec, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Awesomec

Awesomec Shark Slayer

Sir Salami recently informed me that there IS a way to add water to maps that you made in paint/photoshop/whatever you use. This also means that water can be added to old maps that weren't made before the update (to prevent tunneling). This is very limiting currently, but hopefully MM and Geti will add better functionality later.

Limitations
    1. It doesn't work locally. Meaning Zombie Fortress and Sandbox
    2. It modifies the whole map cycle, they will all be 50, or whatever

Water level from the server files :
    In dedicated_autostart
    You add a line below mapcycle(); in whatever mode you want it in (remember it has to be gold enabled). It says
    waterLevel(Number);
    The number being the height in tiles bottom of map.

Water level in game with rcon.
    Type
    /rcon waterLevel(number);
    The number being height above bottom of map.

I hope this helped!

Edit: I hope to add pictures soon

soulrealm, FG, hans_02 and 3 others like this.
  2. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Very good information. Thanks!

3. Awesomec

Awesomec Shark Slayer

You're welcome

4. SirSalami

SirSalami THD Team THD Team Administrator

Good write-up Awesomec! But missing a few details. ;)

OK, this is going to seem unnecessarily complicated (because it is), but i'm going to try and fully explain the current limitations of using water with a custom map, and how to make one via sandbox. Try to stay with me...

First thing you need to know is that Water is a premium only thing, as such, can be only used via premium game modes. This means that Sandbox will not let you use water-levels by itself. However, because zombie-fortress is premium, you can there. So, to make a map via sandbox and put a water-level on it, you MUST do the following:

-Open up sandbox - make your map.
    -Once finished, open console [home] then /savemap mapname

Now to add the water, again this can only be done in a premium gamemode (zombie fortress)

-Open up zombie-fortress
    -Open console, /loadmap mapname
    -In console type - waterLevel ( x ); where x is the tile-height of the water-level. Mess around with it, until you get it to your liking.
    - ENSURE that your spelling is correct for the above command. eg: no "\", "/" and a capital "L"
    -now, /savemap mapname again

That's it really! So now, you have a map saved, with it's own customized layout and water level! You can now pack it up, and distribute it as you normally would any other map.

However, there are obvious limitations here. You cannot really play-test this map outside of either zombie-fortress, or loading it on a proper premium server, as again, SANDBOX WILL NOT LET YOU HAVE WATER.

I hope this makes sense to you guys! Have fun and good luck!

5. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

SirSalami, You're probably on top of this, but a Premium sandbox mode for water would be A+. And a second thought would be if it doesn't cause issues maybe even let the scrubby free players have water in sandbox so that they can want it all the more.

6. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

But doesn't this give any problems as Zombie fortress doesn't have a red team?

7. SirSalami

Hmm, valid point. Will triple check and edit with details.

[edit]
    Seems to work OK in my tests! If anyone runs into any issues, please let me know!

8. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Replace zombie mode with CTF to get the red team spawn.

9. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I had an idea for a map that oscillates between flooded and non flooded, like you would be fighting but periodically you'd have to stop and seek high ground. Is that possible?

SirSalami likes this.
  10. SirSalami

Not possible currently but i've been thinking the same as well Contrary. Definitely going to bring it up with the guys.

"Tides" would bring back tunnel usefulness to an extent (dig dig dig, oh noes! tides coming in!) and create some other cool situations, such as boats being "dry-docked" during low tide n'whatnot.

Could even match it up with the day/night cycle - tide goes in and out once during day and once during night or whatever.

I imagine it'll be fairly easy to implement. Glad we're on the same page!

11. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

If you do this, shrines will be built in your honour.

That feel when you steal the enemy flag from tunnel only to drown because the tide came up.

12. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Yeah I think there's a lot of potential for maps that can't be realized in single .png files. Customizing day/night cycles, placing zombies for adventure maps, etc.

13. Downburst

I just hosted a server to make my .kag map in the end. PM me if you need help with your map.

BlueLuigi, Awesomec, Rayne and 2 others like this.
  14. Mogwok

Mogwok Shipwright

It is possible to have water in sandbox mode. If you access the console and set: " sv_gold_only(1); " you can then access the rcon command listed by Awesomec, " /rcon waterLevel(); " and add water to your sandbox map for testing.

15. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You can save the .kag while on a server and it will save properly?:eek:
    I've been doing it in solo mode cause that's what rayne told me :)

16. Mogwok

Mogwok Shipwright

Just tested it. You can place water on a map and save it to .kag in sandbox mode.

As above:
    • Enter Sandbox
    • In your console enable /sv_gold_only 1
    • Now input /rcon waterLevel(value);
    • Next: /savemap name
    Your map is now saved as a .kag file which will load with water and other changes.

Thanks to Awesomec & Sir Salami, as well as Downburst (respectively) for posting how to add water to a map in console and how to save the map serverside to make the water permanent.

EDIT: Do note, that you have to enable gold status on your sandbox first. If you exit and then re-enter sandbox mode and then try to load your map, it will load the map WITHOUT the water (as water is disabled due to it not being premium). You must re-enable gold every time you enter a fresh sandbox game; your map will load with the water just fine.

Contrary likes this.
  17. Downburst

Are you sure the both spawns are saved correctly? Since sandbox doesn't have a blue spawn.

18. Mogwok

Mogwok Shipwright

If you use an image editor to edit the .png file so that everything works properly, you can then follow those steps to have a working map with loading water. So yes.

19. Froghead48

Froghead48 Haxor

Good thing i checked here. Awnsered alot of my questions.

:thumbs_up:

20. DeadlyElectron

DeadlyElectron Catapult Fodder

I like it. :):thumbs_up: