1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[590]Clan match--serious builds

Discussion in 'Builder' started by killatron46, Apr 8, 2013.

1. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Updated info June 6th (added "The Bunker").

Putting this in the Builder sub forum instead of the Critique sub forum as I'm displaying more than one specific building, and inviting others to do the same. I will try to put credit to where it is due, but if I "steal" anyone's idea and they have a problem with it PM me and I'll remove it or add credit.

Most of these builds will be made with less than or exactly 250 wood/stone and built in such a way they can be adaptable and expandable.

Before I begin listing these towers, I want to take a moment to say they are in no particular order.

First up I've been using "the chair" a lot:

Edited: April 30th, changed picture and info.
    My Notes: I first saw this one being built by "NkChehov" in a gather match, I really liked how easy it was to use and its durability and repair-ability. The front facing wall can easily be expanded to 2 thick by placing wood or stone blocks. You can also add a linepeice behind the arch back wall support for an anti-bombjumper safety.I added a door to give the archer on your team an option to fire from there instead of using main door, also works as a collapse.
    The Cost is:
    170 stone
    248 wood
    screen-13-04-30-11-02-14.png

Next is one of Ej's builds I see him make a lot:

EDITED: April 8th, Ej fixed it for me.
    My Notes: Again, first time I saw this was in a gather match while playing against Ej. This tower is very easy to use and versatile, I expanded it more than the Chair because I felt it was important for demonstration purposes. The door close to the ground on the inside is for repairing the outer walls. The doors that are facing down are in perfect positions for collapse traps, removing the door and sifting a collapse through them will surprise the enemy (usually).

Author's notes:
    1. I don't use launchpads because launchpads are bad.
    2. The door on the bottom is for knights and faste movement, drops are a side effect.
    3. The second door always goes as I showed, it's the B entrance, not some gay archer slit with 0 shooting angle.
    [​IMG]

The third list item is one of Splittingred's towers.

EDIT: April 9th -- Added info from author.
    My Notes: This is really nice and simple, the spikes on the entrance don't hurt your team but hinder the enemy knights from entering your tower really well. This is the basic build, and as the match goes on he usually upgrades it, I will attempt to make it though its been awhile since I've seen it... (maybe split could post the actual one later if he wishes, and he did!:D).

Author Notes:
    I call it the "Spiky Balls", because the forward spike door looks like, well, you get it. There are advantages to this setup:

Pros:
    1. The spiky ball door at the front does dissuade knights from jumping up, as they get nowhere
    2. The front climbing doors are very easy to repair through the wall holes
    3. The anti-bomb pit in front of the tower is crucial for warding off incoming base-of-tower bombs
    4. The raised shops means you're less likely to lose them to incoming bombs
    5. The wood top is cheap and great for bomb/archer cover
    6. Many easy archer attack points; just add ladders where necessary, and scale tower forward diagonally if needed

Cons
    1. An incoming builder can really nerf the front of the tower by stone blocking up around the spiky ball
    2. A well thrown bomb can go through the top of the tower down and to the left, hitting nearly all inside (easily fixed by adding more roof/attic door)
    3. Fairly easy to bomb jump over; but you can continue to build diagonally upwards (using workshop connectors if wanted) to help prevent this

Basic
    screen-13-04-09-11-49-53.png

Advanced
    [​IMG]

LucasTT also made a structure for us to look at.

My Notes: This tower made by LucasTT is good because it has the arch support in the back along with great movement within the tower. It is also 15 blocks high so you don't take damage if you fall off the top. This tower also has a lot of places to collapse blocks on incoming knights.

Author's Notes: I normally build like this because I like to drop things on knight's heads,while they try to slash my doors.
    It's entirely repairable,and easy to expand.There is a good archer nest,then the archer can shoot easier,and for long distances there is doors.You can also drop things from the archer nest.

[​IMG]

Next up is a submission from Kalikst.

My Notes: Looks like an upgraded linepeice, easy to use, repairable two exits which can be handy whilst under attack. One downside I notice is wile the lower entrance is open 1 bomb can bring it down. An arch support would fix this.

Submitted Notes: All right, so here's the Brotherhood of Warriors basic clan-war building. Short description of its purposes and its cost:
    Costs: 196 Stone, 250 Wood.
    Height: 15 tiles (minimum for falling damage = 16)
    Traits: Repair all blocks from the inside, enemies can't climb back side, falling nets for archers, small overhang, two doors to use if under attack, archer can fire straight down.

[​IMG]

Been messing around with a new design, its basically a shorter version of an advanced chair.

My Notes: This structure is very versatile and meant for grabbing the middle. I'm breaking my own rule here because it uses a ton of wood so I don't recommend building this on a map with few trees. This build is extremely resistant to bombs (as long as your knights or archers are smart with doors). When the enemy ladders over this build, they are still at a disadvantage. If the enemy builder stones both roof entrances, your knights can still knock out the wood in between them to get up on roof.
    Cost:
    158 stone
    365 wood
    screen-13-06-06-22-32-38.png
    This build also has the advantage of having a place for all four shops!
    screen-13-06-06-22-35-26.png
    Here is one variant I like to do with the top after I get all the shops put in: screen-13-06-06-22-38-24.png

Post your own clan match/serious builds here, or discuss the virtues/failures of any or all of these designs.

Attached Files:

Alistasia, MadDog, Digger101 and 12 others like this.
  2. screen-13-04-08-10-06-16.png

1. I don't use launchpads because launchpads are bad.
    2. The door on the bottom is for knights and faster movement, drops are a side effect.
    3. The second door always goes as I showed, it's the B entrance, not some gay archer slit with 0 shooting angle.

congratulations, you made me post here :vvvv

Bammboo, ParaLogia and killatron46 like this.
  3. kl4060

kl4060 Haxor

4. killatron46

Alright, thanks for clarifying Ej, I built your building from memory and I hadn't really ever looked at it closely... :>:(: I'll put your picture in OP.

5. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I think launch pads are very good if used to supplement door ladders as while easier to break they're much faster. Also, I dunno why you guys like single ply walls so much, they're easy to maintain but provide almost no protection against bombs.

Main entrances are bulls eyes for bomb throwers so recommend heavily fortifying around doors and keeping shops and stuff away. Also, covering shops often becomes a necessity as the enemy archer can easily form it for mad dosh.

killatron46 likes this.
  6. killatron46

I agree, I've been leaning towards making a door entrance 4tiles high (your knights can slash up if bridges are destroyed, archers climb trees/stay in tower, and builder can always build a way back in).
    :castle_wall:
    :door:
    :door:
    :castle_wall::bridge:
    :castle_wall::bridge:
    :castle_wall::spikes::bridge::blank::bridge:
    However, then that means your entrance is at 8 tile height meaning is easy for bombs...

These are meant to be quickly built in the allotted 40-60 second build time before a match starts, improvements are to be made as needed.

This would be what "The Chair" would look like fully upgraded in a serious match, any farther than this isn't really necessary, and if it is you're probably turtling too hard or you're going to loose anyway:
    screen-13-04-08-13-00-43.png
    I would prefer two of the basic "Chairs" over one of these.

Thanks for the feedback Contrary! :)

Contrary and I3lue like this.
  7. morganblahblah

morganblahblah Catapult Fodder

Here is my building ,you may need to use alot of resources so yeah sorry about that.

Attached Files:

8. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

dqwe.png
    I normally build like this because I like to drop things on knight's heads,while they try to slash my doors.
    It's entirely repairable,and easy to expand.There is a good archer nest,then the archer can shoot easier,and for long distances there is doors.You can also drop things from the archer nest.

killatron46 likes this.
  9. morganblahblah

what do you land to the knights head? I dont see anything dropable

kl4060 likes this.
  10. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

Because I place the blocks in front of doors,then I remove the door,and the block drops,like this:
    dqwe.png

(The red square is where I place blocks)

I3lue, kl4060 and killatron46 like this.
  11. morganblahblah

Still dont get it if you place the blocks there then knights/archers would be able to climb up

12. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

Dude...
    I place it and destroy the doors fastly,and then replace the door.

13. morganblahblah

but the knights/archers could go up easily and throw bomb at you

14. FWIW, this is the building structure I usually go with nowadays:
    [​IMG]

I call it the "Spiky Balls", because the forward spike door looks like, well, you get it. There are advantages to this setup:

Pros:
    1. The spiky ball door at the front does dissuade knights from jumping up, as they get nowhere
    2. The front climbing doors are very easy to repair through the wall holes
    3. The anti-bomb pit in front of the tower is crucial for warding off incoming base-of-tower bombs
    4. The raised shops means you're less likely to lose them to incoming bombs
    5. The wood top is cheap and great for bomb/archer cover
    6. Many easy archer attack points; just add ladders where necessary, and scale tower forward diagonally if needed

Cons
    1. An incoming builder can really nerf the front of the tower by stone blocking up around the spiky ball
    2. A well thrown bomb can go through the top of the tower down and to the left, hitting nearly all inside (easily fixed by adding more roof/attic door)
    3. Fairly easy to bomb jump over; but you can continue to build diagonally upwards (using workshop connectors if wanted) to help prevent this

- * -

I've also really liked doing this in small gather matches:

[​IMG]

First, create the normal structure for the first tower, but when an attack is incoming, replace a door with a trap bridge. Then do this:

[​IMG]

The spike immediately stops any incoming knight traffic, as they can't vault past it.

Downsides: Your knights can't either, so be sure to get rid of it and replace with wood door when the attack is over. Also, archers can shoot through the trap door, so best to make it higher (as pictured) than you're standing, and even better to add a wood wall behind you so that any arrows dont go through the tower into any shops.

It's a really useful "temporary" trap.

15. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

I think the trap would be better replacing the bridge with a door,it won't hurt teammates,and will hurt enemies.
    And it also fix the problem of archers shooting through the trap door.

16. Damn you [user]killatron46[/user] :p. I've been thinking myself recently of making such a thread and you forestalled me!

All right, so here's the Brotherhood of Warriors basic clan-war building.

bow1.PNG

Short description of its purposes and its cost.

Costs: 196 Stone, 250 Wood.
    Height: 15 tiles (minimum for falling damage = 16)
    Traits: Repair all blocks from the inside, enemies can't climb back side, falling nets for archers, small overhang, two doors to use if under attack, archer can fire straight down.

As I've been thinking personally on improvements of this tower I came only with one, and that would look like this:

bow2.PNG

I think that additional doors at the bottom speed you up your climbing and allows you to repair from the inside blocks at the very bottom.

Well, that's it. Builder isn't my main class so I'd like to hear your opinions on these 2 designs.

Small, aesthetical remark. Please make a space between [590] and word Clan in the thread name :P.

icemusher likes this.
  17. killatron46

Ermm. Both structures look exactly the same to me, did you mess up whilst uploading them?

From your description the one I'm seeing is your modified one.

It needs an arch support in the back because as it is, one bomb can take it down if someone leaves the lower door open for it. I like having the tower be 15 blocks high so you don't damage yourself while falling off, however this only affects the builders usually because knights glide and archers have trees.

Looks good! I'll add it to the main page along with LucasTT's building in a bit.

EDIT: adding split's review as well.

Again, I was a little bit off with yours split, I'll change OP in a bit to reflect that.

I like your idea replacing the door with a bridge and a spike, but what I usually do instead of that is this:

:blank: :castle_wall::spikes:
    :ladder: :door:
    :blank: :castle_wall::spikes:

While on the ladder from the inside you can place those two spikes and remove them from the inside, it takes a little practice and is fairly tricky but it usually does the same thing your bridge does, and you don't have to replace the door. :)

Also, your basic structure you build in build time still suffers from the same fate as lucas' structure in that 1 bomb can take it down if the door is left open, destroyed, or bomb jumper from the back. Again, I would recommend building the arch that you have in your advanced design with the basic one.

Kalikst likes this.
  18. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

Killatron,look at the base of the tower,there is one block different.

About one bomb taking the it down,you're talking about the overhang,right?If so,better placed walls can fix that.

19. nkChehov

nkChehov Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

In this moment, that how are my classical buildings look like (within the start time). Then its will have some upgrades, but idea is tacked.

Buildings.png

rocker2, killatron46 and Kalikst like this.
  20. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester