1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[590] My version of the Rhino...

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by faygo94, Apr 8, 2013.

1. faygo94

faygo94 Catapult Fodder

• Added build number
    This is my version of the rhino, i try to build this any time i am playing as a builder. Note that the mechanical wheel is a siege shop the lantern a lantern shop, the bomb the arrow and bed shops are what they are, and the arrow and bomb shop will take the place of the lantern and siege shop if i cannot make those. The only reason i put this up for discussion is because i am trying to become a better builder,and to get some pointers on where it is weak and how to improve it. It takes about ten minutes to build i can build it in seven. Takes approximatley 500 stone plus the back wall, and 730 for the wood not including the workshops.

P.S. didn't know how to take screenshots so.... yah.

..........:castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    ..............:castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    ..............:castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    ..............:door::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    ..............:door::castle_bg::castle_bg::a_shop: :castle_bg::castle_bg:
    ..............:castle_wall::bridge::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::bridge::castle_wall:
    ..............:door::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    ..............:castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::door::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::door::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg:
    ...................:door::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::door::castle_bg::gear::castle_bg::castle_bg::lantern::castle_bg::castle_bg::quarters::castle_bg::door::castle_bg::b_shop::castle_bg:
    ........................:castle_wall::door::bridge::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::bridge::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::bridge::castle_bg::bridge::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::bridge:
    .....................................:door::castle_wall::door::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::door::castle_wall::door:
    .....................................:castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    .....................................:castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    .................................:bridge::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::bridge::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::bridge::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall: :bridge:

2. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Looks more like an elephant.

link6155 and delankski like this.
  3. faygo94

faygo94 Catapult Fodder

Well i guess we will call this structure the Elehant then.

4. Shadza

Shadza Knightmare Donator

Looks more like elephant shit. :D

DobryMurzyn, Domis and CrystalClear like this.
  5. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Enough talk about what it looks like, and more talk about what it does.:>:(:

I don't think that the big stone roof is necessary; it pretty much nullifies the space you have between the two mini-towers, because 9 times out of 10, enemies (with builders) will just climb up onto that roof and walk across. :bridge:

The head of the rhino/elephant is weak at the neck. Two well-placed bombs will decapitate the poor animal.:( I would suggest incorporating killatron's alternative support throughout your structure to decrease the damage that bombs can do as well as the total resource cost. In fact, it's downright silly to put fill the space between the towers with backwall. A few conjoined "pillars" would suffice.

Also, I'm confused by the workshops in the picture. Shops are 3x3, but it looks like you're fitting some into 3x2 spaces. Am I missing something? I would suggest placing the bomb shop within the protected space if you're going to keep the roof. Otherwise enemies can get to it easily. :b_shop:

As for taking screenshots, the in-game screenshot button is F4 on Windows. The picture should appear in Screenshots in the KAG folder. If that doesn't work (it often glitches) then try using the Prt Sc button and then pasting onto an image editing program like Paint. Lastly, you can try installing a screenshot program (I use puush).

delankski, killatron46 and Shadza like this.
  6. faygo94

faygo94 Catapult Fodder

Yes the roof should be one block higher my mistake. As for getting on top of the roof, the structure is ussually filled with people so the chances for that are slim but i will take them into consideration. The roof is there so the knights if by a slim chance get in, will no be able to get across because of the pit which they could easily glid across to the other side if not for the doors and roof. I appreciate your criticism i will remove the backwall in the pit and incorporate Killatron's wall backing support system but i think the roof is neccesary. As for screenshots I'll get some proper ones up as soon as possible.
    </br>--- merged: Apr 8, 2013 8:49 PM ---</br>
    So i went on the Bc flatmaps server and tested this and saw that the support system you recommended worked very well, only problems i had were with bomb jumpers. Here is a picture but other than the occasional bomb jumper it served its purpose no one got over the roof in the hour i was there thanks to the extended horn with the two doors on the top. Thank you for the tips anyone else got any?

P.S. He thought the build was a ship.
    screen-13-04-08-16-39-02.png

killatron46 and ParaLogia like this.
  7. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

the whole thing can be one block higher, a booster gives you 5 blocks before you need a door to climb you have 4 here

----:castle_wall:
    ----:door:
    :bridge::castle_wall:

8. zollie20

zollie20 Haxor

It boosts you 6 blocks, you can put another stone under that door and it will still provide a means of getting up.

9. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

you slow down at 6 blocks and can get hit by a stray slash if a knight is chasing you, i feel safe at 5

10. faygo94

faygo94 Catapult Fodder

Well thanks for the info! :D

11. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Yeah you gotta be careful of those stray slashes when you are 6 blocks high in the air.

12. faygo94

faygo94 Catapult Fodder

HAHA, i love your signature. But lets keep this on topic, i need halp with meh build. :p

SlyStalker and Force like this.
  13. Force

Force Shark Slayer

It's okay.

F4 for screenshot :)

14. Conquerer

Conquerer Shark Slayer

this looks like a hippo,

(be careful of stray slashes, they can be bad for your health)

15. Force

Force Shark Slayer

That signature is a bit distracting. :)

Anyway... back on topic. Maybe you should change the main entrance a bit. Your current seems very weak, if I was a knight I would throw a bomb up that hole to kill any enemies standing there.

16. faygo94

faygo94 Catapult Fodder

Any suggestions?

17. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

Just a plain 2 doors would work.
    :door::door:

Or you can add ladders above those for an easier time getting up.
    :ladder::ladder:
    :door::door:

Both of these eliminate the hole from the trap bridge.

If Force was talking about an entirely different way to get in, then we'll have to ask him.

Force likes this.
  18. faygo94

faygo94 Catapult Fodder

19. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Jlordo is pretty much right with what I was talking about