1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Confirmed Engine KAG [762] Alt+TAB nuance and screen displacement

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Krono, May 23, 2013.

1. Krono

Krono Drill Rusher

Category: KAG Client
    Operating system: Windows XP Professional SP3
    Build number: 762
    Description:

+ If you Alt+TAB while the game is running in fullscreen, most of the time you'll get a black square the size of whatever resolution you picked for the game to run on. There's also a chance that while you're refocusing windows, that you'll accidentally bring the game back at fullscreen. A solution I found for this was forcing for the game window to be minimized through the Task Manager.

+ After doing so, there's a chance that upon continued use of Alt+TAB to switch back and forth between your desktop and the game, that the game's screen will be moved 'x' pixels downwards and 'y' pixels leftwards. This will display a solid sky blue colored bar at the top of the screen, while making it impossible for you to view your health and inventory bar at the bottom. The extra horizontal pixels at the right of the screen cannot be viewed normally, and require an external third party that can take screenshots of the entire screen (in my case, Steam's GUI Overlay).

Worth noting is that everytime you Alt+TAB after the first time it displays the blue bar at the top of the screen, that the ammount of pixels the screen is pushed downwards seems to keep doubling. I chose to emphasize this, as the continued use of this bug seems to force the game to attempt to display itself to resolutions beyond what the game, or even your video card, currently supports. I imagine this has the potential of permanently damaging a video card (don't really take my word for it, as I am quite unsure about this claim).

The last screenshot is taken way above my card's limit, and as you can see, began to display a distorted image.

Note 1: The current resolution I'm running the game at is 1024x768, while my desktop resolution is 1280x800.

Note 2: My mathematical abilities are quite... rusty, so I could not figure out a way how to express the proportional increase in pixels. However, I do believe that you can figure it out using the provided screenshot's resoultions. I'm so terribly sorry for burdening you with this instead of doing it myself.

Steps to reproduce:

Regarding the first point.

1.- Start the game fullscreen.
    2.- Alt+TAB to another application running in the background.
    3.- Switch between application windows.

Regarding the second point.

1.- Start the game fullscreen.
    2.- Alt+TAB to another application running in the background.
    3.- Launch Windows Task Manager.
    4.- In the application's tab, right click KAG, then click Minimize.
    5.- Alt+TAB back and forth between your desktop/applications and KAG.

Screenshots/Videos:

This one is a screenshot taken through KAG's built-in screenshot feature.
    screen-13-05-22-15-43-41.png
    This one is the same screenshot, taken through Steam GUI Overlay's screenshot feature after using Alt+TAB 2 times (???).
    2013-05-22_00004.jpg
    This last screen screenshot was taken several minutes later through Steam GUI overlay's screenshot feature, after using Alt+TAB 3 times (???).
    2013-05-22_00005.jpg

Kazaco:
    screen-17-08-19-15-19-40.png
    Code:
    [15:19:21] Resizing window (1920 1080)
    [15:19:21] -----------------------------------
    [15:19:21] ERROR: screen was forcibly resized!
    [15:19:21] If you have having graphical bugs,
    [15:19:21] try using a lower resolution,
    [15:19:21] disabling high-DPI mode, and
    [15:19:21] not using any 3rd party graphics
    [15:19:21] modification programs, thanks!
    [15:19:21] -----------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2017
  2. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

This is to do with the resolution, I've been experiencing this since classic. You can get around it if you press the Windows key, or Ctrl+Alt+Delete and go to task manager and just click out of that.

3. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Hey, I'm having no problems alt tabbing in and out of game, do you still have this issue with the latest build?

EDIT:

- No problems windowed or fullscreen.

Do you have dual monitor setup?

4. master-chief

master-chief Arsonist

this happens in both classic and beta and it isn't just alt+tab anything that stops it from showing on screen can do that and yes that means even the start menu button and ctrl+alt+delete does it!
    the one and only fix for it is to exit out of the game and even this can be bad as you can get it so far down that you cant see the exit game button so if that happens then just hit alt+F4
    P.S. it isn't build related it happens in every build.