1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[947] People keep accidentally driving cata's/ballista's

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Downburst, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This keeps happening again and again, people accidentally pressing down and then drive it off the tower/turn it around.

Especially when a ballista is a spawn-point, or when a cata is already loaded with a person..
    You could say this only happens because everyone is noob, but wouldn't it be better if they are only drivable trough some E menu.

2. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower

I agree. It should be evident now that this a problem with the method of control rather than just inexperience or maliciousness. I've had some close calls in small spaces.

I wonder if they tested the carrying mechanic from alpha but instead requiring multiple people to carry the ballista/catapult, like how it takes multiple people to row a boat? That could be unsatisfying though as it might eliminate the hilarious deaths that result from falling, somersaulting siege machines. I really enjoy them. ::D: It would also require a modicum of cooperation.

EDIT: That would never work. :P

3. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

I think a sort of lock may be a good thing, because I've seen *so* many people take them, pitch them up, drive over walls then go "Im new, dont h8 me", exactly like that, and if you kick them it always gets rejected because the 'new' player whines about it.

4. Downburst

Wouldn't it be easier to just load new ballista bolts?

5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

>newb logic

Just reload with ammo. Don't toss a functional cata off the edge and potentially give enemies a free spawn.

6. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Then again, if every instance where a noob (or someone that isn't paying attention), does something dumb... Is this an instance we should remove? I can think of a lot of areas of KAG that could have this logic applied.

I do agree though, it is silly, I'm still an advocate for the old "strong man" approach to siege equipment like we have in classic.

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm putting in a way to pop the wheels of catapults and ballistae now, which should make it into the next patch.

RogueCupcake and Downburst like this.
  8. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

Interesting, would this increase their friction to the point of not taking knockback from projecticles/etc?

9. JaniKutscher

JaniKutscher Builder Fan Donator

I agree,its realy anoying .

10. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

11. JaniKutscher

JaniKutscher Builder Fan Donator

YESH ! Thanks KAG Team .

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It does indeed. It's still possible to whack them around with enough muscle, but much harder.

13. Downburst

Although I kinda liked this change, a new problem just came up.. There are random spawnpoints left behind that the enemy is able to take over as no one is guarding them. Just rushing as archer or double-bombjump as knight will get you to some spawnpoint no one is able to move/turn off..

Maybe really make these siege weapons builder-only?

Rubixxcube likes this.
  14. Geti

The obvious solution of course is to defend it, but I know what you mean. We're thinking what to do about the siege ownership stuff at the moment; I might ban sitting into it until it's converted and bring the convert time down a little because MM is very much opposed to them being builder only. Feel free to quiz him on why :^)

15. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Yeah instant capture of siege engines is the worst part about them. Leave them alone for two seconds and any archer can turn them against you. Wall them in and their attacking capabilities are mostly nullified. (Especially for bomb bolts.) So just removing "sit in, instant capture" would fix mostly everything.

16. Rubixxcube

Rubixxcube Bison Rider

Crimson's necropost revived the thread, but I want to use this to bring up my dislike of the new wheel popping. Anyone can run up to your base during a moment of siege, set up a ballista in a matter of seconds, and then just pop the wheels. The next issue is that while you can take it over, once you do it's impossible for you to destroy it, because your team owns it. This leaves it open to the enemy if they push back again (as they almost always do), because they can just take it over again. It's useless to you if you recapture it, because it's usually within 5 blocks of the base they were originally trying to assault, so you end up having to defend not only the base, but the ballista as well, when you didn't want it there in the first place. Why not instead put a lock on the ballista wheels, similar to car boots that towing companies use? This could be slashed off by the enemy team so that it's possible to at least drive it into a lake or a hole where it does a lot less damage. Not only that, but it would force people to defend and fortify their siege weapons (god forbid) so that they can't just plant them in the middle of the battlefield and spam stone to the right because of the forced direction from wheel popping.

I also like the idea that Rocinante has, because that way wheel popping doesn't take away all the mobility. A single person would be fine for carrying, though, as long as they're slowed way, way down.

crackwise likes this.
  17. Downburst

Builders can destroy a siege unit that's of their own team.

Gurin likes this.
  18. Rubixxcube

Rubixxcube Bison Rider

But with builders being completely uncooperative, it's really hard to get done. You can switch to it yourself, but then defense is lowered.

19. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Builders can break them, but maybe a vote destroy feature would help? If your team doesn't want that ballista anymore, everyone could vote to get rid of it. (only if your team controls it, and if it hasn't been contested recently)

20. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Voting seems like a terrible way to do so, and should not be used for ingame features, especially time sensitive ones as it may force people in the future to consider clicking to vote yes much quicker for bans/nextmaps as well, which is terrible.

Allowing the wheels to be placed back on, either by just standing there for like a 2-4second cooldown to put them back on, or have to have them crafted and placed back on would probably be the best bet. Either that or allow them to be breakable by knights, as the only ways to solve the problem are to make them more easily breakable when they're your own team( taking over them is ezpz and shows you have control of that area temporarily), or allowing you to give it back it's movement.

Breaking options -
    Knight slashes can now break it
    able to break it when it's yours with bomb arrows/bombs
    Self destruct option

Movement options -
    Allow wheels to be an item, when you pop them off they can be popped back on if found (either in player inventory or thrown on floor)
    Allow an option with E to put the wheels back on (without actually adding wheels as an item)
    Remove the option to disable movement (That this thread started with, and make it harder to accidentally enter the drivers seat or attempt to fix the initial problem in another way)

hierbo, Trumbles, makmoud98 and 3 others like this.