1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Ability to use bow while prone

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by SilentWizard, Sep 1, 2016.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. SilentWizard

SilentWizard Shipwright

Boom, now at the cost of being vulnerable from above you have a smaller hitbox from the front, also possibility to shoot through gaps one block tall, adds a new mechanic to the game for little effort.

If anyone thinks this is a choice idea I could look more in depth on custom prone graphics (I'm a graphic design student so I could see what I could do).

The only flaw I could see is archers camping in spots that builders provide that knights could not reach, maybe implement a function where when being prone you can not turn around to solve this.

2. Alpha-Penguin

Alpha-Penguin Bison Rider

I like the idea but......plz don't make archer more op :X3:

3. ninjacat579

ninjacat579 Shipwright

being prone doesn't change your hitbox.

4. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Yes it does, it changes what angles you can be hit at. You can basically dodge arrows with prone.

5. ninjacat579

ninjacat579 Shipwright

i've tested it and seen that it doesn't help. ??

6. SilentWizard

SilentWizard Shipwright

Another added perk is if a pesky builder is mining away at your flag room from the front, you could destroy the 1 block and snipe his feet.

7. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Yes the devs need to first fix hitboxes for when you're prone before considering this idea.
    I like how you're thinking of ways to balance this idea. Keep thinking and suggesting more ways this can be balanced :thumbs_up:. I love the idea.
    Maybe there could be a mechanic where while prone you can shoot further but it limits the angle at which you can shoot or slows down charge speed to balance it out.
    I might be making this too over-complicated though.

Off topic - even being able to crawl through 1 block high gaps would be nice, even though it has probably been suggested before.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    jimmyzoudcba and bru-jaz like this.
  8. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

I can see that causing tons of block warp problems and issues with lag. It would also be incredibly annoying and would probably ruin most TDM maps.

It doesn't change your hitbox as shown in the video. I shoot ninjacat in the tip of his head, then he goes prone and I can still hit him without moving my cursor whatsoever.

9. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

I'm not talking about straight on arrows, I'm talking about angles. If you tested it properly you would see that an angle coming over you can be dodged, not straight at you.

10. SilentWizard

SilentWizard Shipwright

So maybe have it so you can't crawl through 1 tall gaps, but you can fire through them.
    I do like the idea of a certain firing angle limit, I mean firing downwards is already blocked so maybe you can't fire upwards while prone?

The whole idea behind this new mechanic is so that it adds more interesting defense/offense when builders are trying to tunnel or mine into a flag room.
    So in a sense you could create 1 block gap where only arrows can be fired, if an archer and builder timed it right he could destroy the block just as the archer has charged his triple shot up effectively using teamwork to breach an area.

Also the hitbox thing is a bummer, but being able to fire while prone would still be interesting regardless of the hitbox so whatever works.

bru-jaz and epsilon like this.
  11. no, being prone doesn't influence how you collide with anything whatsoever. you're wrong, accept it

12. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Snipering through 1tile gaps sounds awesome. And making your aiming angle narrower but making your arrows go farther when you prone is even more awesome.

epsilon likes this.
  13. SilentWizard

SilentWizard Shipwright

I like the arrows going further idea, it would hopefully not be op due to not being able to fire upwards, so it's useful for being more intimidating to knights traveling on long stretches on flat land.

14. epsilon

1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I've finally done it - people actually agree with my idea!
    Now that i analyse this idea it doesn't make sense anymore since it wouldn't be easy to fire a bow while lying down. If anything it should make firing an arrow worse but give i think it should give a different advantage while prone (e.g. being able to crawl, dodge arrows)

15. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

two things:
    Sadly, having a bunch of guys agreeing with you doesnt grant anything.
    Second, this is a game, no need to be 100% realistic

16. epsilon

1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Yes i understand agreeing doesn't grant anything. It's just usually people disagree.
    I also understand that it doesn't have to be 100% realistic. I was trying to point out some of the possible issues with the idea, even if they may be minor or irrelevant.
    In general this idea is good and would be a perfect addition into the game imo, even if it may be a bit unrealistic :wink:.

17. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

why does being prone help with the tunneling situation? cant a builder just destroy a block at eye-level and achieve the same effect? tbh i think this idea is a bit meh. i would like the prone hitbox to be different but i think itd be better if you remain unable to shoot while prone so its just a dodging mechanic.

daskew87 and PUNK123 like this.
  18. Qmart

Qmart Bison Rider

OP asf. Archer spamming noobs prone. hard asf to hit. no thanks gg fuck off

19. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

well but at least we agree that something should be made with prone.

epsilon likes this.
  20. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

Hmm. I'm thinking it would be a cool idea-maybe I would try to make prone shooting shorter range and less damage but straighter with a quicker windup and make it almost behave like classic archers where it "winds down" again. That would make for some interesting close combat I would say.
    But the original topic; I would say making it different as in quicker and shorter range might be a better idea. I would love to be able to go like the early days of "secret beta" and let someone walk by and stab (shoot) them in the back.

Good proposals tho!

Mods: Rainbows