1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Action [!] CTF and Rapid CTF servers

Discussion in 'Server Directory' started by Noburu, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Mods: jackitch
  1. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

EDIT BY RAYNE: As of, a few months ago or something, i have taken over the hosting for these servers.
    thought i'd edit this post to show that Noburu is no longer in charge, as such, do not bother him with issues regarding the servers.

Current Servers:

- Action [!] CTF Unlimited Respawns! 48 slots
    - Action [!] Rapid CTF 12 slots.

No squeezing, no space bridges (bridges at very top of map, sky bridges are fine), No shooting through walls.

Currently MOST BANS ARE TEMPORARY due to how the game registers bans. If you are banned it will likely only be for a 1-2 days max since bans are currently cleared when servers restart. REPEAT ASSHATS WILL BE BLACKLISTED.

I am looking for maps for the servers. Maps need to be be good for play by up to 28 players for the Unlimited server and smaller for play for up to 8 players for the Rapid server.

If you have any suggestions, thoughts, complaints, etc.; please post them in this thread.

Rayne, WarrFork, Maverick and 8 others like this.
  2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Some maps that'd likely be fun in the rotation:
    [​IMG]Me
    [​IMG]Me
    [​IMG]Monsteri
    [​IMG]dwatring
    [​IMG]forsaken
    [​IMG] Contrary
    [​IMG] Contrary
    Assuming the player count is going to be from 5v5 to 10v10 they should all work for CTF.

Suggested unit spawn inventories:
    Builder: 100 stone 90 wood
    Archer: 30 arrows 1 bomb
    Knight: 1 bomb
    That means that people get the choice - drop down a quick wall or doors to prevent the flag getting capped too easily (or put down a bomb workshop to make your knights happy if there are respawns), spam arrows and give the bomb to a friend (or more likely to the enemy when you die), or dash off into the thick of things, bomb lit.

Also, a stock count of 1 per unit (-> ~1 respawn each) though I think permadeath (0 stock) would work better.
    I like the idea of this simply because it seems a little more defence should be needed than RTDM. I'll only be able to play from tomorrow though, got my last exam for the year tomorrow morning.

BlueLuigi, Noburu and Contrary like this.
  3. Noburu

Time to do some tweaking, and good luck on the exam!

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

cheers, hope this works out :)

5. Noburu

Setup was quite easy once I tried it sober ;) I will work on it on and off while I am here at work.

6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Great game mode! Team BACON hosted a similar game mode a while ago and it was really great (though the overpoweredness of workers was especially evident). This will solve a lot of the problems with people being pussies late game as you can just walk over and take their flag. It's also great as you can get ninja captures and you not only need to not die but control the map as well.

I really don't think workers should start with that many resources, if any at all. With the way a lot of these maps are set up even one stone can completely block off a key area- or at least stall a lot of enemies and make them waste bombs.

I know it's a fast paced game mode but you really do have ample time to mine whatever quantity of resources you need. It only takes about 20 seconds to mine enough wood for a cata, and a lot of people wait that long for the initial bomb spam to clear out anyways.

I'd say something like 30 Stone 30 Wood. As much as I dislike archers I recommend that knights spawn with 30 arrows as well so that active archers can be refueled easily.

7. maltchi

maltchi Shopkeep Stealer

Contrary has some good points, less resources would be good. But also, we need maps that have a good amount of stone available.

I made a map within the last hour, that i made with this gametype/server in mind.

http://kagforum.com/index.php?threads/ctf-lost.2062/

Underground only, with a scarce wood supply at spawn and control of the mid as a secondary objective.

8. Noburu

Thanks both of you. I have been testing using unlimited respawns and random maps intead of the premade ones. We were having a blast and got up to about 10 players. I also renamed the server to Action CTF intead :P Because its not quite as rapid now.

9. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

Isn't that what I said when I first got on your server?

[8040] <AUSS Darksteel> how can this be considered rapid with unlim respawns?

Yeah I said it... ;)

10. Noburu

Thats a reason I wanted to change the name. Im still testing things to see what works/doesnt work. Had problems keeping many players when it was limited respawn.

11. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

The images seem to be broken for me.

Just gonna ask - is there a floating island map?

12. Archers who spawn with bombs isn't good idea, I guess.

But amount of recources with which builders spawn is perfect.

13. bills6693

bills6693 Shopkeep Stealer

Personally, I'd increase the rock builders spawn with by 20 (to 50). Unlimited respawns is great, I think there should be more like that, it means the game is about whoever has the best strategy not about outlasting the enemy.

Also, as a side note, I just got kicked and banned, I wasn't rude, wasn't griefing or doing anything that would appear as griefing, and nobody in chat said anything to even indicate I was doing something wrong or they wanted me kicked... ???

14. WUT?
    Since I started playing again yesterday i haven't seen a single server with normal (about 150-200) unit counter. Show me one of those.

15. bills6693

bills6693 Shopkeep Stealer

What? I've only seen 2 games with an unlimited counter! Capture the Bacon and this one... And tbh I much prefer unlimited, as I said it lets the game keep progressing, allows a team to come back with good teamwork, and puts the game down to good strategy not outlasting the enemy. Of coures, it makes long games which some people dislike, and also it means people don't care if they are killed and they even will commit suicide for little cause, which is a disadvantage.

16. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Hey Noburu,

Just posting up the two griefers I encountered last night; both fled soon after being frozen:

Griefer #1: slater126
    [​IMG]
    I have a screenshot of this guy, because this was before Wonkyth tried to join making my name go green (something I'm posting about elsewhere).

Griefer #2: Harygon2

No screenshot on this one because I froze him mid-grief and when I asked him what he thought he was doing he disconnected. (Additional info: Prior to griefing he called for a new map; his reason? "Boring now").

Hope that helps! :)

Noburu likes this.
  17. Noburu

Going to perma ban them :D

Probably was due to a ping spike, I will raise the tolerance a bit. If you suddenly get kick/banned for no reason it is likely due to lag spikes. KAG is pretty touchy about that. When this happens its only a temporary, around 10 minute ban.

As for the wood/stone Im still debating. I want materials to be harder to come by (but not impossible) so that you have to use your materials wisely and games dont drag on.

I accidently left that in. I kind of liked it, but it will be fixed next time I restart the server.

At the minute I only have the random generated (flat then mountain) maps. I would love for someone to make me a few near the sizes Im using now.

18. Geti

Dropped down the map size to a fat canyon with a few ruined bridge protrusions - only problem is that catapults completely dominate so while I was around I was enforcing "no catapults" as a rule of the server. We really need a server flag for disallowing certain blocks.
    Was good fun for the few games where we kept the flag on our side and the enemy tried to get it back, prevented "lolfinished" victories. Multiple captures is probably necessary for a map that size, but I think the "canyon with some overhangs and islands" concept is pretty solid. There's a nice trick-jump you can do from the island as a knight to each of the bottom entrances too, which encourages building the whole way down the side of the mountain (or at least cramming it full of stone)

Noburu likes this.
  19. Noburu

Threw the old map gens back into rotation as well because with just 2 of us on the canyon map it sucked (was very slow) and we just kept wanting to be able to skip it ::(

20. Ok, now I see one problem with this server. Catapults.
    I played versus some clever team. They figured out that if they build catapult really fast the'll win.
    And they did it. And they won.
    So, in one game our team did the same, but they were about 15 seconds quicker and they catapulted to us knight who destroyed our catapult. Then I ragequited to post this so I don't know if we won, but I think we didn't.
    However, I think there is a simple solution: every map with high enough hill in the middle to prevent really fast catapult rushes.

Mods: jackitch
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.