1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Add a proper queueing system.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Didgedy, Apr 25, 2017.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

So, I think that although this isn't that big of a problem, it does get annoying having to constantly refresh the server list for 5 minutes when hoping to join the only populated ctf server.
    Say, you take out a ticket for a full server that you want to join, maybe go and play TDM for a few minutes, and when a spot opens up, you have 30 seconds to join the server you wanted, with your spot on it being reserved.
    What do you think?

2. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I mostly agree with this suggestion. Here's what I would do:
    • You can join the queue for only 1 server at a time.
    • If you join another server while in the queue for a full server you lose your position in the queue.
    • Once a slot becomes open you should get a sound notification and an alert box instead of automatically joining the server. If the person first in the queue doesn't join within a certain time they are taken out of the queue and the next person is able to join. This is to stop people who go afk while in the queue to take the open slot.
    • If you don't join the server because you were afk, an alert box should pop up notifying you that you are no longer in the queue.
    • You should be able to see the position of the queue you're in and the server you're queued up for in case the player forgets. There is no need to see the names of the players in the queue.
    • Admins can bypass the queue and instantly get onto full servers (like normal behaviour).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  3. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

Seems a pretty solid idea, there is just one flaw I can see and perhaps it might just be tiny but:

People will enter the queue and then do something else for a bit right, because of this people wont give up as easily and thus there will be more people trying to join the server at a time and queue's will get really long and the joining process will be very slow, more fair but slow.

Also if this becomes a thing I think there must be an option to disable it or make it disabled normally but you must enable it for it to be active. For a server like the MLK server you don't want a queue for example.

franek123 and epsilon like this.
  4. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

Better solution:
    If server is full
    Autokick players that are AFK for longer than 1 min (giving them a warning within the last 20 seconds)
    Auto kick spectators that are in there for longer than 5 mins -> because if you dont want to play, give the space to someone else that does. (Also, this prevents players going almost un-kickable afk spectators)

5. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Are you saying if someone is trying to join a full server it automatically kicks someone who has been afk for 1 minute? If so how would it give them a warning if it kicks them as someone tries to join?
    And btw if you didn't know there is already an auto afk kick feature. If you've been afk for a while it gives you a warning 60 seconds before you're kicked. Currently, if you want to join a full server and there are afk people in it, you'll just have to refresh the page and wait for them to be auto kicked. The issue with this is that someone might be waiting for someone to leave or be afk kicked but someone else manages to enter the server before them once a slot becomes open. This is why a queueing system would be best.
    There should just be a way to check if the spectator is actually doing stuff like checking mouse movements and key presses and kick people who are afk.

6. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

Spectators shouldn't even be counted in the player count. If a spectator joins a 15/20 server, the server population should stay 15/20.

Yeti5000, Didgedy and SirDangalang like this.
  7. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Weren't there spectator slots at some point? Are they still there, and if not why?

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  8. joshua12131415

joshua12131415 Bison Rider Tester

I think that was in classic but not sure

9. Kryptic

Kryptic Horde Gibber

Recently, it seems there has been a burst of activity in kag. And with activity, means more servers that are filled. I'm kind of getting sick of spamming refresh for 10-15 minutes to join a server, so I thought I'd post this on why a que should be added for servers. I can que in for a server, when im finally in, a "ding" sort of noise should be made to notify I'm in the server (or I can just hear the actual game.) And if a person isn't at there computer at the time of them getting in, they just get kicked with the normal afk kick in place. What are your thoughts on this?

10. Didgedy

Didgedy Arsonist

Yeah, I quite like Kryptics idea. Would this be at all hard to implement? I would also like it if spectator slots could be used by people queuing.

Kryptic likes this.
Mods: Rainbows