1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Age of Empires... on-line !

Discussion in 'Other games' started by DarkDain, Dec 18, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. DarkDain

DarkDain Shopkeep Stealer

I really enjoyed the Beta of this game and played it quite a bit before it closed. I didnt initially want to get into it on release because i've been waiting for the Celts since pre-beta, but expecting them this December i started again, just to get back into it before they are released. BUT DAMNIT, Celts might not be released until march !!! In beta their was only Greeks, so i started as Egyptian this time and kind of like them, i think i'll go premium. Anyone else beta this, or liked the aoe franchise and want to check it out ? I'm on the Alexandria server, plenty of co-op in this game!

2. DarkDain

Common misconception. While Free-mium and pre-mium is a huge difference, freemium players are free to fight other freemiums, and premiums have a premium only ranked pvp. After you pay a one time fee to upgrade your civilization, their is nothing else you can buy to improve in any way, all the other extra's are either vanity or fun, your just upgrading to a full 100%.

3. Templar_Frost

Templar_Frost Horde Gibber

I love AoE, I live for the series, but I wasn't feeling it when I played online, to much useless side quests, bonus content, Is basically a free to play game; and I hate those types. I rather play AoE III multiplayer than this.

4. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

Age of Empire is pretty nice, but this one don't give to me a feeling to play a real Age of Empire. Like Templar said, a AoE III multiplayer would be really good and this game is totally a pay to win.

5. DarkDain

Win what? Its not like the PvE content will rely on having extra or is competitive, and if you want to PvP you can always VS other freemiums, but the ranking system still pairs players up taking gear quality into account so it wont pair you up vs an equally skilled and premium player. Plus its hardly pay to win, the civi's are 5$ right now. Five bucks unlocks the full content, your not buying bonuses, your just unlocking the rest, and once you have, theres nothing more you can buy to give yourself any advantage, so when you find yourself losing, find the real reason.

6. WarrFork

The problem is not losing some games, I'm like that, a game with extra to be stronger in a game scare me. AoE Online still a good game with graphics like that but it will be better if it is a normal game, not a f2p/p2p.

7. DarkDain

Well its on sale right now on steam, 66% off, its 17$ which gets you all of the games content (besides town decorations) for less than half of buying a full game. At that point its not really a f2p is it ? Some f2p's have outrageous fees, where you can spend hundreds of bucks to buff yourself (DDO!)

I just looked at AoEo as a free 'demo' mode, so i bought the civi i wanted to play with and played it. Celts are out now so i bought them too, i've been waiting for them for a long time !

8. WarrFork

The problem for me is not the price, I try to tell you in this game you have free players and buyers players. This is only what I don't like. But yes, good point, a price like that is not so bad.

9. DarkDain

Since its instanced based with your city and NPC cities, you never see avatars of players or anything. You can add friends and visit their cities, even do daily quests. I think the co-op missions are something people dont consider, so many single player missions can be done with friends, and some missions are genuinely challenging. So far i just minimized the chat bar and played it like a single player game until im comfortable enough to PvP. Its also nice that theirs no lag, no matter how bad your internet is, while you do PvE !

10. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

I love this game, although whenever I go to find a match in Sparta PvP I cant find anyone

11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You are using the term freemium incorrectly, also the game is absolute shit and is indeed pay2win, that said, if anyone is interested in Age of Empires 2 feel free to PM me, I love playing it, and I know a few others do too on here (muffin, irish, AJ, potato)

12. I love playing it but haven't got it. I've got a copy of AOE3 that doesn't work.

tucktucktuck

13. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

AOE 2 doesent work on Windows 7, It was like my fav :QQ:

14. It does with a little tweaking. I got it running on Vista a coupla years back, and 7 isn't much different.

15. Gonf

Gonf Base Burner

I really enjoyed the earlier Age of Empires but have never tried out the new online version, due to the bad reviews (shown above) and the weird graphics. The little cartoony characters scare me a little.

16. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

try it Gonf, it is free

17. BlueLuigi

IT works fine out of the box, if you need help let me know, I also use a patch you can get from xomicron.com or some such, shit's awesome.

18. Free does not make a game good... AOEO has the same basic gameplay as the AOE series but it's so Pay2Win. If you want a good AOE game, go with AOE3. It may not be free but it's great fun.

justi01 and WarrFork like this.
  19. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

they made it so you can earn empire points witch you can buy Premium civs with, also I no longer have the copy of AOE 2 :(

20. BlueLuigi

You can 'obtain' said game on the internet like other things, if you already bought it, unless you find it on GOG, good luck really finding it (IIRC it's not on gog could be wrong), just go pirate it or something.

Mods: BlueLuigi