1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

animation for grappleing

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Landoo2, Dec 31, 2013.

?

add a grapplinganimation?

1. yes

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Landoo2

Landoo2 Ballista Bolt Thrower

hi guys,
    my idea is already said in the headline...
    i came up by this.. because i saw that the grappling hook rope comes somewhere out of the archers bagpack...this looks somehow strange... how can he throw it without doing something with his hands? so my idea is.. maybe to add the hand anymation (when you do an emoticon as archer) to the grappling.. so that it looks a bit more real

2. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

I actually have a brilliant idea (In my opinion) to follow up on this. A lot of people fight over whether or not archers should be nerfed, and I think I found a perfect solution, although some of you may not agree. I suggest that we add the animation of the archer starting up a swing of his grappling hook-rope (because obviously they didn't have grappling hook guns in medieval times) then they have to wait until it's fully charged to throw it. So think of it this way: You charge up the grappling hook sort of like the bow, but it's only one stage. This would prevent archers from scaling walls IF they're unskilled. That way games aren't ended early by late builders. But at the same time, it's not such a nerf that it makes them useless! If they are good at it, archers can still do most of the same things they could before! I couldn't tell you the perfect charge time, but what I can suggest is that you have an animation that depicts how long it has to charge. I don't know if this will be widely accepted or rejected, but give it some thought.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that you should still be able to hold onto something once clung. R2 = Right-Click held. EX: R2 (Release after charge) R2 (Left-click still works I would think) (Release and you will drop) Right click without holding doesn't do anything? Maybe... just maybe... they could implement something else with a tap right click?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. Landoo2

that would be such a thing again... in my opinion it would be unfair for archer, they are already not so strong and you want to make grappling difficulter..?

4. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

Well, I just lost 4 matches in a row because a stray archer wasn't killed in time and he got our flag/hall and won the game just because he scaled the one wall the knights couldn't. They are powerful if not kept in check. And seeing how only 1/8 of the people I play with on my team are competent, those archers are a huge problem, because it usually ends up falling to me to support my team. And 1 knight out in the field of battle can't spontaneously teleport to spawn to swat an archer. They shouldn't be able to scale a 20 block tall wall. Back in medieval times, NO ONE could do that, bomb jumping, grappling hooks, catapults or not. I say, if you want to get in to a base, it should actually require effort instead of just defending until you get 120 coins, then heading to the shop. (I play CTF for the most part, btw)

5. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

1. This game is not meant to be realistic nor historically accurate
    2. You want to nerf aspects of the game because the people on your team are bad? Something doesn't seem right there.

Shambls and BlueLuigi like this.
  6. austinthus

austinthus Horde Gibber

I had the idea yesterday, and I'm sorry, but being able to scale walls without paying money and then being able to capture anything you want? I'd say that you're not looking at the good aspects. It's going to make the archer more of a sniper than a ninja. It's going to make kegs a little more valuable (although I wish they'd get nerfed a little) and it'd make siege weapons more valuable. It will make the archer class require a little more skill, but if you can master it, then it'd still be just as good. My last post may have been a little hastily written, but it's got a good point: archers win games for reasons they honestly shouldn't. Say for example one team is putting out a siege on the other team. Team A are focused on killing every living creature that moves in their line of sight. Now say an archer on the other team had been playing dead, and we missed him. That's perfectly fine, and I like that small touch. Now he goes back to Team A's base scales all of team A's walls and evades most or all of Team A's traps. He then proceeds to steal bomb arrows from an unprotectd shop, and the game is over. Ok, I agree that was favored too much towards my cause. Say there's no way into our base and no way to get arrows. He can at least scare a lot of the workers (TTH) somewhere, and if he's good, he can keep some doors open with their dead bodies. But let's say he's not that good. Instead he hides as a dead body or in a tree and waits until someone spawns. He then proceeds to chase them, as long as they're another archer or builder, inside, while they hold open the doors for him. There's a lot of potential damage they can cause, and if they don't feel like capturing the base or the flag? They can get probably 2-3 kills on builders or archers until enough knights spawn to swat him out. Sure it may be fun for the archer, but nothing is more upsetting than being at your enemy's door right about to capture everything, when suddenly your head is filled with defeat music while it says the other team won (TTH). You quickly scroll the screen to find a lone archer standing in your base with a smiley emote. Not only is this upsetting, but it's a problem. I may be wrong on some points, and you can pick at those points all you like, but the main thing is: Archer's don't need their grappling hook removed, because then they might as well be a ranged knight. They need their grappling hooks changed to where they can't scale a wall the size of 20 archers or whatever. Sure, they should be able to get over some junk in the road, but this would help make it so that a castle is a castle, not an obstruction. Thank you.
    EDIT: Sorry about any and all spelling and grammatical errors, but something's wrong and anything I write writes over whatever is in front of it so I can't fix much. Thank you for understanding.

7. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

I don't see any problem with an animation as long as it doesn't effect the speed or time it takes for the grappling hook to be released.

Even if you nerfed grappling hooks archers are still capable of arrow climbing and wall jumping so yeah it wouldn't make too big of a difference anyway. That and you should never leave a base unattended for it to be wrecked up by one archer, that sounds more like a team problem.

Landoo2 likes this.
  8. Landoo2

my idea was not to add anything new how to play.. just a new graphic addition... in my opinion it would look cool, if the archer would hold the rope of the grappling hook in his hands, when he grapple somewhere, and not that the grappling hook comes magicly out of his back

austinthus and MechaTrickster like this.
  9. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I agree with making the grappling hook a bit harder to use.

It just seems like they really shouldn't be able to spam the hook to get around in seconds. Hell if kegs slow you down when walking, some small ass archer shouldn't be able to grapple to anything, everywhere in a matter of 3 seconds.

Maybe not make it harder to swing, but have it harder to actually grapple onto objects such as vertical walls. It makes no sense that a hook still hooks onto a wall if it's not touching the top of the block itself, not the flat parts it's connected to.

10. Landoo2

so you wanna say.. that the archer class shall still get harder to play??? knights can one hit archer! archers need 4 arrows.. in my opinion thats mean enough. if some of the classes should get a negative buff, its the knight... like not moving so fast with a 50 kg armour.. not climbing uo 9 block high towers with a 50 kg armour..not be able to be faster in water with a 50 kg armour than an archer!

11. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

In short, yes I'm saying to nerf Archer. The fact is while they are easy to kill, they can get up high, and wait till their shoot counter is tops to spam arrows. They don't need to be able to quickly glide passed all obstacles so easily.

It actually breaks the game psychics due to everyone moves slower than they swing around. The hook/rope needs a bit more instability and a bit more limitations placed on it.

12. Landoo2

im sure you never played archer..

13. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Alright guys that's enough off topic. There already is a whole thread dedicated to "nerfing archers bcuz op". I'd appreciate it if people would actually read the list before they post their complaints in totally wrong threads.
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/archers-again.14648/

Sir_Walter likes this.
Mods: Rainbows