1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[Archer] Rebind the Arrow Cancel

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Gofio, Aug 25, 2015.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Currently, to cancel an arrow an archer must right-click (the grapple button).
    This is usually fine, and makes it easy to drop your weapon and run if a knight charges and you don't want to waste your ammo.

However, when grappling, an archer can't do this.
    To cancel his arrow, he has to release the right-click, press it, release both mouse buttons, and grapple on to something to avoid falling to his death.

I suggest rebinding the arrow cancel to directional down (the prone button).
    This allows an archer to keep his grapple locked to the wall while still saving ammunition, and some of the better archers might even be able to grapple while aiming.

Cons:
    Archers are slightly more powerful. (not significantly, in my opinion)
    The down button, or any button on the keyboard for that matter, may be slightly harder to use than the right-click button.

Pros:
    Trained archers will be more mobile in closed areas.
    (imagine any fight against an archer, inside a building. The archer loses, 9 out of 10 times)​
    Less arrow spamming, more aiming.

2. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

This is a great idea, finally something that should def be added.

J-man2003 likes this.
  3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Fixes an issue that has long plagued Archers and raises the skill ceiling a bit without providing any notable "buff" that people might complain about...

I'm all for it.

J-man2003 likes this.
  4. zerd

zerd Arsonist
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Not sure if I understand exactly what you are suggesting.

But if you cancel your arrow-charge by pressing down, how would you get down ladders while charging arrows then?
    How about dropping through doors with arrows charged?

Also when you say "rebinding", do you want to still be able to cancel the arrow-charge with the grapple button?

Or are you suggesting for archers to be able to activate their grapple hooks without canceling their current arrow-charge?
    This would be a major buff to archers, I will expand on why that is, if that is really what you are suggesting.

PUNK123 and SirDangalang like this.
  5. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Raise the skill level? It would only lower it by allowing all players to grapple around like Spiderman and still be shooting arrows. At the moment, only the better archers can do this style of play and it looks really amazing when you pull it off so I'm gonna say -1 to this idea.

However, I really want that annoying glitch fixed whereby if you shoot an arrow and grapple milliseconds later, it will assume you're still trying to cancel your shot and then you fall to your doom.

Edit: Also, if you're only suggesting separating the keys and not making it so you can grapple and charge, I think this only makes it more awkward, especially if you're switching to the down key. Not only what @zerd said about going down on ladders, but archers are frequently wall climbing, especially while charging arrows, and so S would be a very awkward key to press.

6. Nighthawk

^ Points above are good points. I replied without thinking about that stuff earlier.

I still would like to see a way to grapple without having to cancel arrow charge, though, even if the keybind was a little awkward. If you've played Archer you know how annoying it is that you can't keep charging your current shot while firing out a hook.

PUNK123 likes this.
  7. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

He's talking about when being able to cancel an arrow charge while your grapple is out. Not grappling while already charging an arrow.

8. Nighthawk

Regardless, if you were to set "cancel shot" to entirely different key, a side-effect of that would be the ability to grapple while in the midst of charging a shot.

SirDangalang likes this.
  9. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

Yea I can see this leading to archers who charge up triple-shots safely from a distance, then grapple forward and blast you in the face, with little risk.

10. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure the grapple could be set to not activate when a shot is being charged.

11. Obione5256

Obione5256 Bison Rider

What about "F" to cancel?

12. EhRa

1. KRPG

What if you wanted to change your arrows?

13. ITT: people who can't even fucking time their arrow charges with grapple saying that making their escape even more tard-proof raises skill ceiling

there's a reason you can't cancel it now and the reason is you having to put the very minimal effort into not dying

14. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

Ouch. Could still work, but with the spacebar, instead of the directional down button.
    This shouldn't be a problem, there aren't many good maps with ceilings (common factor in these maps is the ceiling; maps with ceilings suck) so archers won't be grappling to the ceiling while raining down arrows, unless poor offensive building allows them to. Grappling while charging also slows you down if you're moving backwards, so most archers wouldn't be able to aim accurately even if they learn to grapple and charge at the same time, and get slaughtered by knights.

I mainly play as builder so I get to see lots of archers who can't even outrun a knight without trying to shoot him down, and the pro's just move away before the knights get close. While the ability to grapple and charge would make them more powerful, it'd also make them less of a sniper class and more suited for medium range.

I'd just like to see the rebind happen, I don't care much about the grapple-charge thing. Just block it; or even better, make it an option for servers to toggle on and off.

Edit: there's even a third way to solve it: grappling while charging does both!
    It cancels the shot, and grapples. Archer's can't stay on the offensive while running away, but can save ammo without risking their life.

15. Blue_Tiger

Spacebar is used for healing.

16. no, it makes them both, as you are not taking anything away while giving more options.

PUNK123 likes this.
  17. PalladiumGirl

PalladiumGirl Catapult Fodder

IMO rebind the grappling hook instead. Right-click to cancel and left-click to shoot seems more logical. Or make all binds customizable if so::P:

also, grappling while preparing a shot would make archer too strong. Just make him able to cancel shot while already grappled without falling, right?

18. EhRa

1. KRPG

If your talking about dropping something, e.g a burger, use c

19. Blue_Tiger

Way more awkward than spacebar.

20. EhRa

1. KRPG

Not hugely. Archers don't need space bar so your finger can be sitting on the c button.

Mods: Rainbows