1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

ARK: Survival Evolved

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Canadian98, Sep 24, 2015.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

"As a man or woman stranded naked, freezing & starving on a mysterious island, you must hunt, harvest, craft items, grow crops, & build shelters to survive. Use skill and cunning to kill or tame & ride the Dinosaurs & primeval creatures roaming the land, & team up with hundreds of players or play locally!" ~Steam Page

Ark is your classic survival sandbox game where players are put into a large world and have to survive by eating, drinking, building, crafting and teaming up with other people. The game currently features 35 different creatures (With another four being added in the next few days), most of which are tameable and rideable and help you progress through the game faster. The game also features some RPG elements as your character and tamed dinos level up which then enables you to make you/them stronger (Eg upgrading health, damage, movement speed, etc). The community is pretty friendly as opposed to some other survival games, with the exception of some Korean/Chinese tribes that are complete dicks.

ARK is in early access ATM, but the game is fully playable and has a slated release date of July 2016. The game's updated pretty much weekly with new content being added.

One of the funnest games I've ever played IMO, and by far the best in early access, about to hit 200 hours after buying the game about 5 weeks ago

Gurin likes this.
  2. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

How is the game's performance right now? During closed testing it was absolutely horrible.

Withror likes this.
  3. Withror

Withror Ballista Bolt Thrower

Sounds like a sponsor

J-man2003 likes this.
  4. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

It looks a lot like Rust, and Rust just wasn't fun, I assume this game is the same

As for why Rust is bad, it literally is just not fun. The survival is boring and grind-y, this may be different with ARK: Survival Evolved, but it still has the PvP survival mechanics from Rust which probably makes it punishing and unintuitive.

I really wish someone would make a PvP survival game that actually had good game design and wasn't punishing instead of a game that is punishing and has lazily-made cliche survival mechanics, games like that are not fun, a game that had interesting survival and non-punishing dying would be nice. I actually talked about this with someone else and he said there should be a survival PvP game with a karma system (ex. enemies are more likely to spawn near you for more players you have killed) and/or a survival PvP game that has random events instead of being a FPS with a few extra steps.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Withror likes this.
  5. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

The game does have some performance issues, for example to run the game on full ultra settings it's recommended that you have a Titan graphics card, there's also some issues with frequent lag spikes on some of the official servers where the game will just freeze for a few seconds once ever 25-30 minutes etc. As for being like Rust, raiding seems like it happens alot less often because raiders can be easily punished by other clans, because it's very easy to lose what you have if you only have a basic stone/wood/thatch base with no turrets. People also seem to want to gang up on bullies and destroy them before they get too big.

J-man2003 and Withror like this.
  6. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Heard some bad stuff about sleeper issues. My friends has the game, enjoys it alot.

7. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Performance issues? This game has beast graphics. I wouldn't call it performance issues. It's just not meant to be run at ultra by any scrub.

8. stabborazz

stabborazz Haxor Staff Alumni

Who here plays ark ? Ive been playing it alot recently and I really enjoy it. We are at war with the biggest tribe of the Server atm.

9. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

The problem is, if the game is punishing, then it's not worth playing. I've played many a punishing game in my day and everyone I didn't stick with long because honestly, it's just not fun. You could argue I'm a wuss but in truth video games are meant to be fun and not much else.

Also I think this proves that Canadian98 hasn't been advertising ARK: Survival Evolved @Withror

I feel like this game is the survival sandbox edition of ORION: Prelude. I didn't like that game, though I may be wrong.

10. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

Yea I'm not an advertiser :), just really love this game
    So far my experience with interacting with other tribes has been decent. The first server my friend and I started our tribe on had a clan called COREA that would do "manual server wipes" and kill everyone on the server at around 4 AM. So we inevitably got killed. But after that, we moved to a different server, that we're still on, that has some pretty big tribes but friendly tribes. We've been able to develop pretty easily without fear of having our stuff stolen or dinos being killed overnight.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 14, 2015, Original Post Date: Sep 26, 2015 ---
    So after weeks of farming materials, getting new tames, three full wipes and four times losing all of our tames, we finally sit atop the server as the most dominant tribe and are basically untouchable, feelsgood.

J-man2003 likes this.
  11. Withror

Withror Ballista Bolt Thrower

Sounds like a lot of fun for other players...

J-man2003 likes this.
  12. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

lol, we're not dictators unlike the guys we took over from, who would just wipe tribes because they felt like it

J-man2003 likes this.
  13. DarkDragonBoy

DarkDragonBoy Haxor

Amazing game. Cant afford it:P

14. J-man2003

J-man2003 Haxor

It's overpriced in my opinion, though I haven't played the game, I can very well say that some 5-25 dollar games I've played most likely have more depth than ARK.

15. stabborazz

I personally think It's totally Worth the money, It's a game that you Will play alot if you like It. Either you don't like It and don't play It alot, or you like It and you get atleast 200+ hours. (sorry for the random capitals, I'm on My Phone)

16. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

yea, recently I hit the 500 hour mark

17. stabborazz

Someone in My tribe has 1300+ hours O_O
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 10, 2015, Original Post Date: Dec 10, 2015 ---
    Our giganotosaurus has finally grown ! It took a week to hatch and several weeks to Be mature. And 12 hours of constant meat-feeding <<

18. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

Holy shit, you guys actually went through with the long giga breeding process? That's insane, my tribe's got two atm but we just prime tamed them.
    Yea, a handful of people on my server have 2200+, which server are you on btw?

19. DarkDragonBoy

DarkDragonBoy Haxor

Yeah you should buy me this game...

20. stabborazz

We also have 2 giga's atm. We decided to never breed one again :p
    I play in the official server 202, we recently took over the server. We annihilated the biggest tribe, everyone lives in fear now, wmahahaha ! >:) But I don't really play alot anymore.

Mods: BlueLuigi