1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

B935 - CTF & TTH tutorials added

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Nov 8, 2013.

1. DevBlogger

DevBlogger KAG DevBlog Feed Bot

I added the much needed game mode tutorials for Capture the Flag and Take the Halls. They are a bit text heavy but I’m quite in a hurry and couldn’t do something more fun in a day. The important thing is you will learn all the necessary things about the game modes from playing these tutorials.

Some things were cleaned out. Like saw killing team mates (too griefer friendly and annoying). Item arrows and far item destruction in TTH workshops. I find those things useless and confusing so I removed them.

Also, fixed Necromancer not appearing at final map in “Save the Princess”. This must have sucked, but you can play it again now if you missed him.

Have fun!
    MM

Other changes in build 935:

[modified] saw doesn't kill team mates (too annoying!)

[fixed] can't hit constructed rooms in CTF as builder.

[script][added] convenient builder_alwayshit_fragment array for partial name matches (eg "shop" for all shops)

[remove] far item destroy button

[removed] item arrows in workshops

[fixed] texts appearing in front of research menu

[modified] renamed peasant/migrant to worker wherever necessary

[fixed] crash in minimap on next map

Original DevBlog post.

Scrub likes this.
  2. hahahaha

have fun marching through entire battlefields of saws made by johny98 and his minecrafting friends

kag promoting skill as usually

3. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

I noticed the same thing.

This is the first time I have had a bad feeling about a change in an update. Perhaps this is a part of growing up.

Making saws "foolproof" just seems so excessive considering that you can even turn them off now.

The only reason I can see for this change is that we want to nurture the temperaments of Steam-people.

Lets see how this plays out.

4. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Saws are not meant to be retard proof! The switch off option was good enough because it let people actually do something about it.

5. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

Good thing for saws, once I had the flag almost captured someone from my team through a saw done while I was jumping ... I died. :(

6. NOOOOOOOO! The peasants... All the fun was now taken away from KAG. :QQ:

7. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

>removes saw doing what they've been doing best since early beta
    >skill

Apronymous likes this.
  8. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

Saws should definitely kill team mates. You can just make a insta kill trap safe for your team, huge balance upset.

9. Boea

Boea Such Beta

About the saws, god damn, that was half the fun.
    About "removing" "Destroy Far Items", it functioned in the first place???

10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Personally, I like the change and don't like it. I like it because I was getting sick of people carefully placing saws in the areas where knights landed after jumps (I swear this shit was griefing) on the other hand, this removes all of the risk from them. I presume you removed the button to turn them off now that they're useless?

Also, you should implement team color changing saws. If an enemy builder gets to your saw, he can press C to pick it up, it becomes his team color, and now his guys can pass through it safely.

Please. Please do this.

11. Boea

Boea Such Beta

The issue with that is that it replaces the problem of how the saws were pretty much meaningless against those that could simply spam the C key.
    It is why non-cis teams can't pick them up now, or then.

12. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Well only builders on the enemy team would be able to swap them, not knights and archers. THe potential uses for this feature are limited, but I can see someone spamming the battlefield with saws, only to have a smart enemy builder come through and swap the teams for the saws really quick. This would help curb the inevitable spamming of saws that -will- happen eventually.

13. nkChehov

nkChehov Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

only i like new saws?

14. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Trust me, you can't spam saws as effectively as you make them out to be.

I know this because saws are very easy targets even without being swappable, especially since you need to fall more than two blocks from above to trigger them.
    [So to be effective, you need to put them at the bottom of a pit, or in the middle of a drop zone, and it is very easy to simply be careful when jumping over or near a saw]
    They grind up explosives, making them explode, making them a liability when dealing with active mines, kegs, and normal bombs.

As far as anything, making them kill anyone indiscriminately actually made the issue of tossing saws around pretty low, since it heavily inconveniences your team as well.
    Also, active saws destroy each other, so you have to spen quite a bit of time, or resources tossing/placing them around. And that is not even talking about making them long-lasting, which requires constant maintenance and stone usage.

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Note: I'll be complaining pretty loudly to MM today about the saw change. Monsteri's solution is currently the one I'm likely to implement, so that teamkilling with them isn't particularly effective, but you can't just line the field with them and gain a stupid random killing advantage.

Boea, consider a group of 3 dedicated knights (like is common in comp play) with saws dropping them at the base of an enemy tower - this instantly makes engaging them a massive pain in the rear, since when you jump down you're liable to fall in, and if you're going to try to slash into them, you have to avoid jumping or else you'll be sawed. Overall it's just a stupid mechanic to have something instagib one team and do nothing to the other, especially when its non-colliding.
    I agree that its a minimal issue in public play, but balance in general is a minimal issue in public play. We had a build where ladders flung you super high into the sky and it barely affected the overall balance for pub play; that isn't really the concern here.

16. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I've actually tried this myself, it doesn't help... It must be the presence of ground level doors, explosives, and alternative methods to impart.

I've remembered how much balance is indecently subjective.
    So much for no-stunlock archers. :/

17. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Part of me likes the new saws part of me hates them...liking them when they are around the base for things like trees and I don't accidentally jump in...but hate them for when the enemy uses them for defenses...Had one case where someone got one and brought it to the battle field, so not only would he drop it randomly so people would fall in sometimes, but also you couldn't see his slashes almost at all! It was pretty frustrating.

18. -GodlyKnight-

-GodlyKnight- Catapult Fodder

Good i'think :spam:

19. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

/re-reads thread

wait, what solution by monsteri

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We're making the saw become inactive after teamkilling one person - if that's insufficient we'll make the saw self destruct.

Klokinator and Digger101 like this.