1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Best City Building Games

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Ryukk, Apr 12, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Ryukk

Ryukk Catapult Fodder

I've probably played em all, but hopefully some one here knows about a gem I haven't played

My favorite city builder is probably Zeus III or Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. Well pretty much any one made by Impressions Games back around 2000. My second favorite would have to be Black and White probably, just because of how unique it was.

2. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

I have fond memories playing that game over local area network and send spies, saboteurs and alike to gather information and sabotage my friend's places. They never knew what hit them. I kept acting all suprised and told them that the same thing was happening to me, I too was being attacked by myserious men with torches. I convinced them to attack the computer. Watch the carnage from far away.

Also pretty nice to sell them resources and weapons they needed for their defenses, all for a friendly price of course.

Aah, lots of fun!

feet, Bly, BlueLuigi and 2 others like this.
  3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I find SimCity very entertaining. Both games you mentioned are complete rubbish and should never have been released, SimCity is utterly the best city building game, even if it's just a hotel. Only newfags don't love SimCity.

Bly, Riletyface, GalenMarek and 3 others like this.
  4. Ryukk

Ryukk Catapult Fodder

Meh, im really only into ancient city builders so simcity is the rubbish that ought never been released to me.:B):

5. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

What is this "City" trash?!
    SimAnt is where it's ALWAYS been at!

BlueLuigi, Hella and WanderMark like this.
  6. Drok

Drok Shark Slayer

A game I used to play long ago is Pharaoh. Pretty good, with a wide variety of buildings, materials and citizens, though war was a bit... uninspired (I got shocked when I got the message that an army was heading towards my city and would arrive in 6 months... it resulted to be 5 guys (really) who standed helplessly in front of my wall and then left. :p
    Then the SimCity series is very good too. SC 3000 was rather hard, I'd often use cheats and build a sandbox city. Then 4 is more reasonable. But traffic is a nightmare: buses are virtually useless because they don't reduce traffic, and traffic jams are a constant problem because "alternative routes" is an unknown idea. I would spend the majority of my time dealing with public transport. :(
    Oh, and the music if both games is great too. :note:

7. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Paraoh, I've spend sooo much time on it. Beautiful building, fabulous graphism and really immersive music.

8. Ryukk

Ryukk Catapult Fodder

Hm...i thought i played all the city builders by Impression games...but i dont think i played pharaoh...weird. But ya the combat in impression games is very lacking, but i think this is just because adding combat was mainly an afterthought, as you only see/control armies in defense of your city, never on the attack. Which is legit cause you are supposed to be a city planner, not a warlord.

9. Smokeybacon

Smokeybacon Superdreadnought Donator

SimCity 3000 for me. SimCity 4 was very enjoyable but had some annoying bugs which often ended up making your city a ghost town.

Also, anyone remember Caesar II?

10. Deathspawn

Deathspawn Shopkeep Stealer

Medieval 2: Total War, or Rome: Total War. Because you manage cities, defend territories, invade opposing factions AND relive history in your own way.

lukepop and BlueLuigi like this.
  11. Smokeybacon

:up:
    C0ol, but in no way are they city building or micromanagement games.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  12. Deathspawn

Do any other sity building games include rebellion, squalor, overpopulation, foreign invasion, law and order, etc, etc?
    (Simulation city building games = sity)

EDIT: I would also like to state that the combat featured in the game requires micromanagement.

13. Smokeybacon

The only tools with regards to managing cities are tax rates, games and building production. I'd hardly call that a city simulation. TW is geared towards managing an empire, hence the decisions you make effect individual cities very lightly, but are more important on a larger scale i.e. the positioning of castles or trading hubs or unit production centres. Plus we really aren't talking about combat, so it doesn't matter if it has micromanagement there.

14. Duke2die4

Duke2die4 Arsonist

total was games is not city builder game, end of talk :P

15. Deathspawn

Fine...
    Anyway, the best sity building game is.......
    REAL LIFE!
    Featuring amazing graphics, real time production, jobs, war and much more, it is the #1 hit of all time! With a massive 7 billion players, there is no competition for this game.

Ryukk likes this.
  16. Duke2die4

Duke2die4 Arsonist

exepter theres no winners how ever u do it will be game over :P

17. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Yeah, I'm afraid the Total War games don't really come under the heading of City-Building.
    They are, however, an awesome combination of the Gov-Sim and Historical War-Game genres. :)
    And I don't think most people ever build cities IRL. :P

18. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

How come nobody mentions DWARF FORTRESS?
    Its the best city-building game ever made. (and too be made, beta is expected for 2020)
    :3 (EDIT: off-topic: <-- we need a face for that, btw)

BlueLuigi and Madoka like this.
  19. Duke2die4

Duke2die4 Arsonist

ture its great :) i wish only that the guy who make it shood make a team and not work alone, i know its his baby and his income
    but he cood easly get some miljons if he post it one that backer site or whats its named were u can back procjets and then still control the production of his game :)
    </br>--- merged: Apr 15, 2012 11:25 AM ---</br>
    true*

// There is an edit button, you know.

20. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Thats kickstarter, its ment for starting games, not games that are already in progress, and toady works just with his brother threetoe.
    He doesnt work in a team because he doesnt want to, and i have all respect.
    Some bugfixes and general code improvements come from the community, btw. Now lets not derail this thread.

Mods: BlueLuigi