1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Block Variations (Concepts Inside)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by LostPix, Aug 23, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I decided to sit down and pump out my ideas down about the blocks and what can be done to boost visual appeal of structures in games.

One idea sparked in my mind that we should have separate tab in builders block panel for decorative blocks which will be more expensive than normal ones, even if players decide to minecraft they will at least make your castle look nice and this should also make people become more creative generally to build more aesthetic structures.

So far starting very simply, I put up two towers next to each other, one is made of wood and another one is stone, notice the difference between versions where I do not include decorative blocks. Left one has new blocks while right has not. Don't mind the repeating patterns as I was saving time.

The idea of making decorative blocks is the way they will work by being non intrusive to the gameplay as some might act like normal actual blocks while some more like backwall (for example arrow slit in wall). Decorative blocks must have the ability to be rotated or flipped horizontally depending on the type.

[​IMG]

The thing KAG always required was the distinction of two teams in some more dramatic visual way not just the team colour, Blue can easily utilize more peaceful decorative entities such as flags and banners while Red can utilize skulls and torn up banners, that's just the example.

The unique blocks you see in this concept are made by me e.q the arrow slot, wooden and stone corner support, wooden detail on top.

The stone detail on top and the one next to the small doors in wall is Geti's sprite turned upside down.

I hope that shows how little things affect the aesthetics and look, feel free to drop your own suggestions.

Yuutsu, Monsteri, Froghead48 and 3 others like this.
  2. SuperTurdBoy

SuperTurdBoy Tree Planter

They shouldn't cost more to build them then normal blocks...
    This will encourage using up all the materials for useless things
    rather then the materials being used on the front lines.

Froghead48 likes this.
  3. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

I think that it's a good idea :)
    And I like very much your flags idea.

4. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

It's a somewhat neat idea, however I would prefer if they appeared automatically given the correct circumstances, just like those little stone pieces on the edges of castle walls. Having a builder doing them separately, well, I'd imagine these players would get yelled a lot at, especially as the game promotes offense so much right now. Builders staying behind to decorate the castle shouldn't be encouraged imo.

5. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I don't get why people are so obsessed with attacking to gauge each other eyes all the time it pains me to see people senselessly stab the air most of the time or stab my walls, KAG became more of a simplified action game than rts one which was supposed to be in some major way too, but anyway I'm tired of looking at the same crappy towers. Multiple decorative pieces would be tricky and it's better if players put them manually, at least just the major pieces.

6. SuperTurdBoy

SuperTurdBoy Tree Planter

The game isnt about decorating. And the game is about gauging others eyes out.

norill likes this.
  7. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Like hundreds of other games I've played in over 13 years and what brought me to KAG was its unique design in terms like classic was becoming, more teamwork required and epic castles on both sides which you destroy with massive pleasure and conquer opposite team, so far in beta there is more mindless sword swinging and bomb spamming than actual proper thought out gameplay, so far the game is pointed towards one type of audience but it needs addition of different features that work well together, so I don't see what's wrong with having unique good looking blocks that you can use to make base look nicer, it's still optional if you will use them in game and creating new sprites for them is really quick.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 24, 2013, Original Post Date: Aug 24, 2013 ---

What's wrong with builders staying back and building, they are useless in front line and die easily, the moment siege machines become somewhat fixed you will forget about builders at all, they are peons and nothing else, meant to maintain your base. I don't remember playing any RTS game and amassing army of peasants to attack another team.

8. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

Ooh..another piece of decoration you could add to your mod is the door hinges that automatically went onto stone in KAG classic but no longer in beta.
    Just an idea.

9. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

We could possibly have small return of old doors, to make big front gates, but I remember that old doors caused players to glitch through.

10. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

It's not that we need the old doors, i think that it is the fact that they had the hinges that attached to the atone immediately after a door was correctly completed. It's the little things, in my opinion, like that, and the castle top bits that would form, that made the graphical experience that little bit better.

LostPix likes this.
  11. Boea

Boea Such Beta

So the ability to place frostings/glossings to structures would be cool [esp for some sneaky business]

But also, have some more glossings/frostings that naturally appear on built structures, would be very very cool, especially if they appeared because of nearby damage to the building.

Mods: Rainbows