1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Boiling water buckets

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Galaxydog1, Sep 15, 2013.

?

Should boiling buckets be added to beta?

1. yes

73.3%
  2. no

26.7%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Galaxydog1

Galaxydog1 Catapult Fodder

Historically In medieval warfare, when the attacking party tried to climb a fortress wall, they were often doused with a big bucket of skin scorching water. Fortunately, KAG already has buckets, but you can't boil the water in it.
    When players are splashed with the boiling water, the following effects should take place:
    • The default stun effect from a regular water splash
    • some damage should be dealt (something like half a heart to one heart)
    • and the splashed players should be set on fire for a short time (it's skin scorching man!)
    • it probably should also deal a single splash, instead of three splashes like the regular water buckets
    The methods in which boiling water can be acquired is a questionable one, but I have a list of prospective methods:

• Can be produced from a water ammo factory
    • Can be purchased for gold from merchant
    • Can be boiled over a camp fire (but this will require camp fires to be craftable)
    • Can be boiled over an over heating mining drill
    • Can be "crafted" on a workbench requiring one water bucket, and one lantern
    This, if added to KAG; will be a great aid to builders that are constructing forts.:builder::castle: If an enemy knight and an enemy builder erected ladders to climb the wall:knight::builder::ladder::castle:, you were basically owned (especially since the archers and knights are busy capturing a hall):OP:
    I have found that splashes from regular water buckets knock the enemy off the wall while they are scaling them, giving the builder nothing more than enough time to run and hopefully change their class to knight.
    But boiling water buckets will give them something to think about before climbing.
    Never has a bucket been so feared:eek:

I appreciate your feedback, and I also appreciate the privilege to share my ideas.;)

Lee_Shioon, Piano, Axatros and 4 others like this.
  2. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Water>set things on fire.
    Don't you mean oil or whatever it was they used to pour down?
    Just a minor detail.

Piano, Atheon, CheeseMeister and 3 others like this.
  3. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I think this would be a great idea, if it was oil/tar, and worked as a liquid with actual physics. Think about it, knights rush your base and are all trying to break your door. as a builder, you grab the nearest bucket of oil/tar and pour it down the side of your tower burning them all, while laughing like a maniac.

4. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

@goodyman8
    Actually...
    Also, hot sand would be great as well. Could use similar physics to collapses.
    Apparently...
    Seems like a great idea. Without workshop parts or open doors breaking in one hit, collapsing stuff down the side of the tower has become redundant. This could be a great alternative.

Galaxydog1 likes this.
  5. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Boiling water still puts out fires. It just tends to dissipate quicker.

I say yes to this, since the collapsing 1-2 blocks no longer works as well there needs to be another defensive structure other then spikes. I would rather oil then sand, that way you can combo it with a fire arrow for extra damage >:^]

6. eamono

eamono Arsonist

If this was added in it should come from a factory or be bought from merchants, nothing stupid like having to boil a water bucket over a fire or crafting it with a lantern. The migrant slaves are in charge of making items, the players are in charge of using the items, that is how it should be.

7. Auburn

Maybe added in with pyrotechnics? or just a new shop totally that makes a pool of this hot oil in the background, with a migrant keeping it going. A person could just walk up, but a bucket in, and then proceed to use it. Or someone could put a boulder in, load it into a catapult, light the boulder (that's why it has to be oil) and then launch a flaming boulder of death at your enemies ::D:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  8. Boea

Boea Such Beta

So we can use the Pyrotechnic Factories as a Dipping Station for Buckets [--> Oil Buckets], and Boulders [--> Flammable Boulders], giving Workshops an active use, like FUN War's Kitchen? [Which is a Factory w/ Inventory that converts Raw Food into Prepared Food]

Auburn likes this.
  9. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

A while ago I made some sprites for a defensive fortification that would drop contents down towers or through murder holes. I imagine you could make it similar to the mounted bow without the need to aim and be able to fill it up with all sorts of ammunition (stone, oil, sand, pitch, tar, water, or whatever you want a factory to produce).

[​IMG][​IMG]
    *feel free to use this sprite in anything KAG related.

epsilon, BlueLuigi, Piano and 4 others like this.
  10. Galaxydog1

Galaxydog1 Catapult Fodder

While that is technically true, not everything is made in the factories. Take mining drills and saws for example, they are particularly useful even though they aren't required, and are crafted by the player. Even buckets need to be made by the player, that being said; boiling water buckets or whatever its going to be; may end up being a craftable workshop item.

11. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I'd prefer them to be an interaction between a player, a water bucket, and a pyro lab, if and only if there are going to be boiling water buckets.

In any other case, I'd prefer it be an interaction with a bucket and a pyro lab, with an item cap [to prevent outright spam of boiling \material\ buckets]
    [Perhaps even an item cap for even boiling water buckets]

Galaxydog1 likes this.
  12. PixelatedHero

PixelatedHero Catapult Fodder

To me this seems like a cool idea!

13. eamono

eamono Arsonist

true, let me rephrase what i said.

Acceptable ways to get items
    • buy from merchant
    • get from a migrant slave
    • make at a workbench with only wood/stone
    Unacceptable ways to get items
    • tedious, multistep, minecraft style, crafting recipes. I want to get a bucket of boiling water, I don't want to have to build a boiler and then get a waterbucket and then have to reinforce the water bucket with stone so it won't melt but then the bucket will be hot so i need to make some oven mitts etc.
    • Having to find it on the map, gold is the only exception
    • make at a workbench using other items as ingredients, no water bucket + lantern or anything like that

I know many will disagree with me but KAG is a fast paced PvP game, KAG should give you as much reason as possible to be on the front lines fighting, not sitting around in your base waiting for water to boil or something like that

BlueLuigi likes this.
  14. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I'd be fine with handing buckets to pyro labs for them to churn them out.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  15. eamono

eamono Arsonist

But why not just have the migrant slaves do it? why would anyone want to have to do that on their own? so they can feel "more involved"? because its more realistic? trust me it sounds like it would be interesting at first but it gets tedious after a while. If you don't believe me try playing minecraft with the tinkerers construct mod, now do that for a few hours and come back and tell me it's still fun and not tedious when you've poured molten iron into your molds for the thousandth time.

Bottom line: No stupid minecraft recipes, if you like them go play minecraft, or wait for modders to mod minecraft recipes into the game :/

16. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

Odd. Five down-votes in the poll and there as been no negative posts? Can someone that voted no elaborate?

17. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Eamono, it's vastly different, I'd be more convinced if you related to to the Kitchen in the old WAR Mode, because that's more or less what I'm suggesting.

Tell me this, you tired of putting logs, and boulders into catapults? Are you tired of refilling mounted bows? Are you tired of putting bomb arrows into Ballistae [Let alone using them]?
    It's pretty much what you do when you unlock extra functions, or change the function of a certain item, and it isn't so obtrusive as you put it.

18. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I guess it wouldn't be so much of a pain in the ass if the UI was better to be honest, you can easily get lost in all the circles popping on the screen.

19. eamono

eamono Arsonist

I don't like having to carry boulders to our catas and bolts to our ballistas but at least you can just grab them on your way out of the base since you should already be heading in the direction of the cata/ballista anyways, but if you have to sit at base moving boiling water buckets thats time where you aren't at the front lines helping your team. Why do you think the kitchen got replaced with a factory? probably because no one wanted to be the guy that has to haul shark meat back to base instead of fighting.

20. Auburn

I think this should be a boiling oil factory that could replace pyro factory. a migrant working at the factory could produce a certain gallons per minute, and then the certain items that you dip in there could use up a portion of that oil. This way, you grab the item, dunk it in, and then proceed to use it.

Atheon and Jlordo like this.
Mods: Rainbows