1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Devlog KAG Build 2019 - Getting the Ball Rolling Again

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Hello knights, builders, and scumbag archers!

Here's your pre-halloween build for KAG. It's been a long time! We're into the Build 2000s now, which means it was over 5 and a half years ago that MM opened up visual studio and started the project. How time flies!

I'm hoping to avoid the usual "event day" fiasco by nipping it in the bud early. I'll be around to make sure nothing too drastic has happened tonight, and have a day to fix any tricky issues before the weekend.

This is the first release build to come out of the build server since the migration. While I'm hoping everything just "goes smoothly", things are rarely that simple. Please give us your patience should anything go awry.

This build contains a huge pile of quality-of-life changes, as well as some nice new content!
    • New maps from the community in both CTF and TDM
      These have been a long time coming! Please give us your feedback on the maps, any ones that don't work in practice, and any that you love. We'd like this to be an iterative process and for the maps to be refined over time, rather than you guys getting "stuck" with something that doesn't work. Congrats to the authors for being chosen!
    • Killstreak Display
      +6 is back, baby. If you get consecutive kills in a 2 second window you'll get an increasing counter along with the hover text. This is likely to "act funny" in some circumstances but if you let us know how to reproduce them, we'll be happy to iron out the kinks!
    • Clantag Distinction
      Players who commonly use a clantag have expressed frustration that it isn't clear in-game that their clantag isn't part of their name. They are commonly greeted as their clantag rather than their username. This build makes some attempt to amend that, and shows clantags in grey everywhere except in the chat field, where multi-colour lines are not supported.
    • APIClient Fixes and IPv6 removed.
      Only minor ones since we have a whole new implementation almost ready for release! However, this may help with putstatus issues and servers locking up, and removes all the IPv6 complications. IPv6 is not supported in any way by our underlying game networking library so having it supported for the APIClient honestly didn't make sense.
    • Tunnel Ganking
      Tunnels have long been a doubled-edged-sword for a team. They let you get forward, quickly but form a potential route right to your base for the enemy. This is still the case, but there's a few changes in place to make it a little harder to abuse them.
      You can no longer hit tunnels (or any shops) "through corners" - this prevents builders from abusing corners to destroy tunnels unfairly.
      You are stunned when travelling through a tunnel and cannot use tunnels while stunned - this prevents rapid-fire teleporting and makes saw traps on home-base tunnels more effective, but also makes "claiming" a tunnel easier (anyone coming through it is at your mercy).
    • Fixes galore
      A lot of crashes and other bugs have been fixed in this build - hopefully there's not too many new bugs to offset them!

Changes not in this build:
    • Boulder changes
      People on the forums are after changes to boulders increasing their effectiveness in the downwards direction - we couldn't get these into a playable state so that'll have to come later
    • Inventory amount handling changes
      Some work went towards simplifying the engine-side inventory behaviour but it caused desync issues and was reverted for the time being. The messages have been separated more nicely though and it should be more reliable due to some game-side changes, but for those overjoyed to hear the +Amount messages were fixed 100%, sorry!
    • New APIClient
      This is coming soon, but since it's such a big change we want to do a new build focussed on it (soon!)

Code:
        Changelog: (game side only; some engine fixes undocumented here)

[added] new maps in oct16 folder(s)
        [fixed] tree z level bugs
        [added] classic-like killstreak combo counter in kill hover messages
        [updated] engine with fix for wood backwall underground
        [fixed] tutorial sign/dummy/fireplace invisible
        [fixed] hover messages covering one another
        [fixed] null pointer on trader killed
        [fixed] selected builder blob block gets deselected when out of mats
        [fixed] capturing neutral floodedhalls with a single sponge
        [fixed] hall flooding state desync
        [fixed] Can't move down through doors while holding a dinghy
        [modified] longer postgame in CTF and TTH (25s), shorter in RTDM (5s)
        [fixed] hearts don't collide with doors and platforms
        [added] match time on scoreboard
        [fixed] instant slash when exiting siege
        [added] new scoreboardrender.as script for easily-added nice scripted scoreboard (more modding friendly too)
        [modified] grey clantags in many contexts to make it clearer they aren't part of name
        [fixed] mining stuff out of friendly builder's hands
        [added] dummy configs to see if it helps with modding the female sprites without the pixel offsets going screwy
        [fixed] Trading posts in STP
        [added] cannot vote for the same person twice in a row (minmise "troll kicks")
        [added] vote next map and surrender are cancelled on nextmap
        [fixed] vote not visible to cancel/force pass if you couldn't see that vote normally
        [modified] vote requires overall majority to pass - not just majority of who voted.
        [added] builder does double damage to corpses (makes clearing them simpler)
        [modified] afk timer reduced from 5 to 3 minutes - increased warning to 30s
        [fixed] builder attacking shops "through" corners
        [added] tunnel stuns you for 1s upon travelling (prevents enemies evading traps/teleport spamming)
        [modified] trap blocks half as much hp
        [fixed] slash cancel with 1 frame timing window
        [fixed] super admin seclev didn't get orange name
        [fixed] cant pick anything up from inside platform (must be overlapping it now)
        [fixed] catapult shooting through walls without damaging them ("cata abuse")
        [modified] sponge costs 30 coins in CTF (unchanged in TTH)
        [fixed] sponge, drill, bucket, chicken "blocking" animation too
        [modified] can't grapple "on-map" lanterns
        [modified] arrows don't collide with "on-map" lanterns
        [fixed] builder leg
        [fixed] crash in spectator cam when someone left unexpectedly

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Build should be out within half an hour - as expected there have been some issues with the build server (at this time it looks like it's not quite getting the builds to steam). We'll have servers up for B2019 as soon as linux dedi finishes compiling and sort out the steam stuff ASAP.

SirDangalang likes this.
  3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

The new dank blue is interesting. Itll take awhile for me to adjust to the clantags tho(they look weird). Also what does the time, on the scoreboard, serve?

as for this:
    [added] vote next map and surrender are cancelled on nextmap

It is alittle weird to see a vote, that has already passed, be cancelled on next map(lol).

4. Geti

(the "blue" or "green" or whatever lovely colour you get is based on your previous kag.exe version and will go away when you restart the game)

Shows how long the match has been running, that's all. Lets you know if it's been ten hours and maybe its time to call it a day.

I agree, a lot of that needs refining but it's hit the point in the day where it had to get out there. Thanks to makmoud we at least moved them away from the edge of the screen but the scoreboard stuff probably needs love and the hover stuff is a different grey or something similarly weird. Suggestions on specifics are welcome. Main thing it to cut down on HI POWER/FIST/TOXIC/MOLE ( ;) )

If there's stuff going to the console, that's not great - this prevents that bug where a vote would "last" into the next game, then pass and skip the next map.

joshua12131415 likes this.
  5. Volk_

Volk_ Catapult Fodder

Very nice. Thank you <3

6. Geti

Alright build issues are finally sorted and steam build is out - please post here with any lasting issues you have! I'll be spending tomorrow going over any fixes I can before the weekend.

7. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Yay, I was on the server for a while as well! Rejoice!

Lava and Monkey_Feats like this.
  8. LinkLoftwing

LinkLoftwing Base Burner

I have an issue with this build...
    When playing in fullscreen in *1920x1080 and 1280x720 (as far as I have tested so far), my computer's taskbar stays "on-screen" in-game, but not really on-screen, as it is invisible, but when I move the cursor down to the bottom of the screen where my taskbar is, the game's custom cursor stops where my taskbar starts and my computer's cursor starts being used. If I click down where my taskbar is, the game tabs out to whatever's behind it.

Edit: Disregard. It was just my computer being a nerd. Fixed upon restarting. Sorry about that...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Geti likes this.
  9. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Issues:
    Unable to dig up flowers as builder (only tested on multiplayer)
    Still able to slash while holding trampoline and animation doesn't play (only works on multiplayer)
    @Geti

norill and Qmart like this.
  10. 4zK

4zK Horde Gibber Staff Alumni

Great update!

I gotta say that the tunnel nerf is pretty harsh. Avoiding the traps was one of my favorite things. A full second feels like a bit too much in my opinion, it'd do just as fine with half as much. I noticed that the player velocity upon entering a tunnel is also nullified, so there's literally no way to escape the trap anyway.

I thought that the last-frame slash cancel was a nice and totally harmless feature. I'm sad to see it get removed.

Is it possible to be able to choose between paying either 30 coins or 50 wood for sponges? I preferred the previous payment method. Sponges could also be a lot stronger at countering water, such as withstanding 2 splashes, but maybe only halving the stun duration (to 0.75s instead of 0.5). As of now it doesn't seem worth giving up one inventory space.

What comes to boulders, I stand by my previous suggestion of giving boulders greater knockback & stun (similar to blocking a slash) upon reaching high velocity to stop players from being able to grab them on impact.

Thank goodness you finally fixed that builder leg though.

Biurza and norill like this.
  11. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

It was a borked mechanic that was suppose to be a slash(instead it just disapeared the slash and restarted your animation) id say extending the slash time slightly is more important than a barely usable totally harmless feature.

4zK likes this.
  12. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Seeds can't be laid with LMB click, and eu CTF servers aren't updated. Also, grey colour for tags could be a bit reddish or blueish depending on teams.

makmoud98 and norill like this.
  13. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

There's no second bracket in the failed next map vote thing:

[​IMG]

Also, cool idea with the tunnel shit - I hated knights coming through with charged double slashes. Though I would prefer next update to have some more features cus that seems to be the only real change.

14. Nicuwins

Nicuwins Bison Rider

There is too much space between the Clantag and the Nickname on the scoreboard

15. Biurza

Biurza E X T R A T H I C C Staff Alumni Donator
    1. MIST
    2. Active Forum Users

I thought it would be cool if when you kill 2+ (in less than 2 seconds delay between the kills i think) the announcer would say "Double kill" "triple kills" and so on, also small text like "Epic_Guard just got a double kill" on the top centre of the screen would appear. Just saying ::P:
    Or maybe atleast text would appear, without any announce, so everyone can see how cool i am :(?

Also, my KAG uses to crash more often, sometimes just when i launch it. i hope it'll get fixed?

PUNK123 likes this.
  16. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

As for the clantags, maybe it would look better if the tags were right-justified rather than left-justified, so they're right next to the name. That's all they need imo.

¿Qué?

epsilon likes this.
  17. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Great stuff. Any chance of fixing drill hitbox in next build? Or is it one of these things like being immue to pickaxe bug?

PUNK123 likes this.
  18. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

oh. OH. OHHHHHHHHH
    NEW BUILD :D
    Thanks for this devs! Come celebrate Halloween with us witha new build :3

EDIT: is it possible to customize your lantag colour? ;D

19. Nicuwins

Nicuwins Bison Rider

But what happens when you are not cool?

20. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I think is always been like that in previous builds, even as knight. It shouldn't be fixed as it allows you to precisely place the seeds as any class.
    Yes I agree. At the moment there is way too much space between clan tags and names.
    I think it may look better if the clan tags were darker shades of red or blue depending on the team you're on. The gray colour stands out too much rather than being less noticeable.

The speed of the float text for kills and the kill combo needs to be slower. It is too difficult to see the message that pops up.

joshua12131415 likes this.