1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 393, Zombies Official! Did it live up to the hype?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mister_Meatball, May 14, 2012.

?

Do you think official zombies lived up to the hype?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

19.3%
  3. Better in some areas worse in others

47.4%
  1. Mister_Meatball

Mister_Meatball Base Burner

New command system, official zombies! Also I hope there is not a slew of new bugs. Do you think it lived up to your expecataions?

BUT OFFICIAL ZOMBIES :p

2. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

First things first, I don't think this is the last of the zombies, so even if it didn't live up to your hype just yet, I'm sure it will do in the future, as even cooler things are added, like dinosaurs.

The command system is really awesome, and the migrants seem far more responsive and useful than before.

The remigration system is a massive boon, and really extends the fun of the game, preventing people from leaving so soon, although it doesn't become too forgiving with the 'remigrate at dawn' - there's no truly instant supply of people in the case of a massive disaster.

Also, chests seem more common in the tunnels, which is pleasant. I like my chests. Just ask Strathos. :3

Overall, the update has been kind, and has fixed a pleasing amount of stuff, and not just in zombies; sure, there are still some awkward problems, but that always happens, and they'll be sorted quickly.

PumpkingSlice and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  3. Mister_Meatball

I agree with pretty much all of the points you have made. Overall I have had a great time with zombies and any problems that I find in the future, I'm guessing they will be fixed quickly.

4. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Spawn areas are boo, the rest isn't bad.
    Pretty much like Hella said.

5. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Official zombies are official, and new command system is new.
    It's nice to finally have everything working pretty smoothly, but there wasn't really a big hype for it, ya know?

Still, I appreciate the dev's continued work to make everything as close to perfect as possible. :thumbs_up:

6. Mister_Meatball

Okay guys, it's time to show you the dark side of the zombie update, please visit any gold ctf server (I visited MOLE's) and I think you will find out what I'm talking about. Bombs and kegs have fuses that vary from .5 seconds to half normal fuse time. Physics can send someone flying to the other end of the map, and apperantly some cheaters gave themselves near infinite gold so everyone has 5000 gold at any given time. Hope this clusterfuck gets patched or MOLE is trolling us.

7. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

The game is so horrendously broken. I can't believe they released it like this, further perpetuating the view that they just keep introducing new bugs along with "features" instead of fixing anything.

8. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I feel bad because as testers we talked about how good it was and you guys got this, I really don't know what happened but what we were playing was fine and most of these bugs we took a lot of time to make sure were fixed, or were things that DID work fine in test build. There are a few things that slipped us cause we never knew they were being changed in any way like red bridges costing 0, but things like fall damage, fast bombs and crazy money, well we messed around on games, so no idea how it happened, but it does suck. We can only hope that through this all of us testers can manage to get together and have some more good testing sessions and look at different things as well as consider them so that they can be fixed by next push out.

I can say that when it gets fixed there are some things that should be noticably better, so can only hope for now a lot of things to get flipped around and fixed.

Many heavily customized servers probably need to recustomize as well, as a few things were changed like what tiles zombies can break and such.

9. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

"Hey I just lit this bomb let me throw i--BOOM"

Red team's trapbridges are horribly broken. Bomb timers are so fucked I refuse to believe that anyone playtested this build. The new physics teleports even more than the last model, which in itself was bad enough.

What did I spend 10 bucks on, exactly? A game that has the most Pyrrhic expansions I've ever had to endure?

10. Nice update, I have to say all that fancy migrant stuff is nice..

Also I hope everyone stops blaming the short bomb fuse on testers, it was obviously working well when they were testing.

New heads are also nice.

SARGRA13, Rayne and Meanie like this.
  11. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

You haven't bought the playable game yet. What you did was preorder the game and got access to alpha. Alpha = shitload of bugs. If you are incapable of understanding that, then leave and come back when the full version is released.

On-topic:
    I noticed a bug (possibly latency related) where I was shot with an arrow, it clearly hit me, but I did not take any damage. Arrows were stuck in my body and I think I could pluck them off myself even.

12. BlueLuigi

Please say that same thing to everyone who 'pre-ordered' Minecraft.

It's an alpha is an excuse that is frankly getting old for the things that are easily avoidable. No one would care if it was an honest mistake or such I believe but it's the overall silliness of how it happens that is the problem isn't it? The fact that it was held back from Friday to test the Release Candidate that didn't have most of these problems to then see released something that has a lot of bugs.

While he may have simply paid for access to the alpha, it's a game that relies heavily on servers, and due to the networking requirements lends towards requiring dedicated servers, these tend to cost money to run so people are indeed paying recurring fees for hosting servers for a game, they aren't asking to 'OMG be out already', they're just asking for the official releases to be more stable before being released.

There really should be 3 levels of the game right now considering how everything works despite being alpha:
    1)Versions pushed out to the 'Testing Group' [consider this like nightly releases]
    (Testers are people dedicated to testing certain things and catching the bugs that they might miss and making sure no balance is broken)
    2)Shortly after pushed to a public 'Test' version [consider this like every damn build]
    - These are a mix of release candidates and simply 'builds' good enough to be tested major bugs removed, things that need to be tested in larger bugs are still in
    3)Pushed to 'Official' or 'Stable' [this is your current regular client]
    - These are stable release candidates that won't make people cringe when they play the game, they might not be flawless but aiming to have one of these out once or twice a month would be nice, basically where you try to catch up all the bugs that were created in that month and make the game playable and fun. (This could always happen weekly depending on how good a job testing has been and how prolific they are that week)

Stable builds don't necessarily have to have anything new, big or exciting, just tweaks and bug removal is more than enough.

In any case just some thoughts, I should stop rambling I'm going to sleep.

13. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Actually, I played the Minecraft Alpha through to the fully-released version exactly with that thought in mind, and I did tell that to others who were whining as well. As I do right now.
    I can see how people have already sunk in their money to this game in the manner of pre-ordering and hosting dedicated servers, I am fine with that, hell, that's a great investment.

However, I am sickened by people who diss the game over a more buggier release, seemingly forgotten that the game is still in it's baby shoes. Currently what most of us can do now, is to sit tight and keep reporting bugs and not panic.

14. Smokeybacon

Smokeybacon Superdreadnought Donator

Just hold out, bear the brunt of this onslaught of new bugs, until the devs decide they've added enough useless stuff. Then perhaps the bugs can finally be worked out, and a truly stable release can be made.

15. Madman217

Madman217 Horde Gibber

Well call me crazy or mad... :p but I had a blast playing yesterday evening.
    Played on Goonhaven for a few hours, offcourse on red hehe.

We were building trapbridges like crazy, bombing the entire map to hell; bombshop + 16k coins = WIN.

Bugs aren't always a bad thing, they can bring great hilarity to a game wich I already find funny anyway.
    I'm sure these will get fixed very soon so why not enjoy it while it lasts. :D

Zeigy and Rayne like this.
  16. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

I fairness, we have at most 10 people n the test build at one time usually, so I can be hard to see issues that affect larger servers like mad money/bomb timers. I personally MUCH prefer this build.

17. BlueLuigi

You are fine with it, it doesn't mean that other people are fine with being lied to and suckered by notch on many turns.
    In general prior to Notch and Kickstarter and all of this indie devs were pretty great with making games to be good games.
    Post "Shit, we can make money BEFORE WE RELEASE IT?!?!" there have been a few devs who have promised things and then go back on it, since then it is perfectly acceptable to be very cautious when someone promises you things and never delivers for what you paid for.

One could actually take legal action for such a thing, not that one should, when it comes to 'finished projects' without things. It's most likely better in the long run to adopt a service of keeping them happy when you know that some things might not even make it in.
    If I hadn't talked with Geti on many occasions and FLAB, and Shad and known how chill they actually are I'd probably see more how people can feel about some of these things, hell even knowing how cool they are some things can be infuriating to degrees y'know ;)

Yes, it's an alpha, and in a typical alpha (millions of years ago when public were never involved in alpha) all your sentiments would be true, but alphas today are basically betas as far as publicity goes, and having that longterm with low stability can be a problem :(

SARGRA13, Rayne, Contrary and 2 others like this.
  18. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Once again, I must admit your superiority in reasoning. Guess the gaming industry (indie-games wise anyway) seems to have moved away from the typical alpha stage and want to get more publicity by making alphas public. Well, it's both good and bad, as we can see right now.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  19. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

I love that players can't block shops anymore and the new party command feature. And the wraith (the flying explody things) AI is annoyingly wonderful. Unfortunately, I have not been able to play on the Extreme Zombie server yet. Does anyone know when it will be hosted?

20. Hoj

Hoj Builder Stabber

So you guys are talking about dinosaurs now during a mid-evil period? Did Sarah Palin drop by when i wasn't here or something. Honestly, what do dinosaurs have to do with zombies anyways? Zombies on KAG was supposed to be one of the best features but it was so laggy that you couldn't play it right. Paingiver had to shut down his zombie server because of this issue. He was running the best zombie server during that time period and he gave up on it after a while. Not only this issue, all the griefing that occurred during that time with boulders really made me upset. So overall it was like an ice cream cone covered in candy covering a scoop of shit.