1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Bw Mapping Challenge

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by daskew87, Nov 15, 2015.

1. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

ACC.png

Hello and welcome to another contest by Daskew! ::):

Previous contests hosted by myself:
    Knight 1vs1 Tournament

Grand Mapping Contest
    Archer 1vs1 Tournament

This Competition :rekt:

This is a challenge map contest. You submit a map to me via pm, I will judge the map and then give it a score out of 10 and review it. Your map will be hosted on the server: "Assault Course Mania!", and be given a chance to be played by many players joining. If the map is rated above a 7/10, it will stay in the server long-term.

---CHECK OUT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST FOR FURTHER INFORMATION---

screen-15-11-09-18-32-11.png

It will be somewhat similar to this competition hosted by myself and Guro in 2014. There are currently no prizes other than the great pride of winning and being top of the leaderboard (which will be posted about once a week). And also of course - having your map hosted. If however anyone has anything to offer the winner please pm me about it, this would be wonderful.

Leaderboard and reviews ::P:

I will asses your map and give it a score out of 10. I will be the only person rating the maps. Bear in mind I am aware that some of map-judging is based on a person's personal tastes and not necessarily objective - but I will try to be as fair as I can. I do think I'm pretty good at judging maps. I judged many maps last year and I think I did a good job.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:flex: Essential Information:

-The format of the Challenge maps
    Take a look at this map png file:
    AssaultMania01.png

This is a good example of the format. The maps must have between 5-12 challenges to complete to the end. It is an assault course where the idea is to get to the end. Each challenge inside the map must be labelled with a number as you can see above.

You do not have to make the map very wide and short. And you do not have to make it go from left to right. You could even make a map going from bottom to top, or bottom to top then to the right - it doesn't matter so long as the above requirements are fulfilled ::):

-How to submit your map
    Send me a personal message on the forum with your map attached. Make sure you include your name in the map filename, along with the maps title.

-What I'm looking for
    To get a high-scoring map you should try to make it:
    • Look neat and in order
    • Hard or impossible for players to cheat on the challenges
    • Hard but not an impossible difficulty level for top pro-archers to complete after many goes
    • Include perhaps 1-3 challenges at the beginning that allow newer players to get through after some attempts
    • In an interesting and compelling style

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE CONTEST HAS STARTED - Some reviews coming shortly!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Olimarrex

Olimarrex Ballista Bolt Thrower Official Server Admin

Here's my 1st application! Expect more O.o. Got some good plans for the next few >:D

Attached Files:

daskew87 likes this.
  3. daskew87

!!!CONTEST UPDATE: First hosting session

I hosted a fine map tonight - ACTriathlon. From @Olimarrex.

The server name is in the screenshot below :rekt:

serverlisted.png

---It was a brilliant first contest submission and we had a lot of larfs playing it.

screen-15-11-20-22-06-27.png

:smug: ALAS! I have not yet judged and reviewed this map. I thought however it would be good to inform people about the hosting of these maps.

leaderboard.png

...Will you be number one? ::D:

[If you wish to submit your own map, personal message me and I will get back to you]

[The end date for submissions is not confirmed, but is a long time away]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contest News
    ~The first scoring and reviewing post will be coming shortly!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

It's much easier to beat the last obstacle without using the tunnel trick, you might want to make that part a little longer or reduce the length of the platform on top of part six so you can't just grapple jump to the end.

daskew87 likes this.
  5. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

I got one, i think its more of a "Survival of the spikes" map, but next time i'l make a "Survival of the water-people"

EDIT: Kek, give me a min to test it out >.>

EDIT: EDIT: I'l fix the bugs in a sec, Kag is having problems, i placed it in the D drive, and i'm installing a game on it, which is making kag freeze, crash and then stopping it from loading, so give me a sec ;-;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    daskew87 and Olimarrex like this.
  6. Potatobird

Nice job! There are some interesting things here, like the dark and spooky number 1o, and the multiple routes on some obstacles.

Here are some comments:
    - 4 was hard as SHIT for me, it took me a while to figure out how to get past it. Good design
    - 6 is a challenge, but it's kind of frustrating/boring because there's no sense of danger, risk, or death. You basically just hump a wall for a while until you get past.
    - People are gonna steal that tramp right past 6 in a heartbeat. You have to encase it it downward facing platforms like so:

:blank::ladder::ladder::ladder::blank:
    :ladder::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::ladder:

Where the ladders are the platforms and the stone is the tramp.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    daskew87, Vamist and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  7. Olimarrex

Twas an epic map, did it in 209 goes, but I did it on sandbox where I suicide if I get on the wrong side of the map, so more or less /2 = 104.5 tries. Also, @Potatobird was right, 4 is a bishe. You might want to think about putting it after 5, just to postpone the nubs getting at it for a little while longer. I have some other points to make, if you want to hear them I can tell ye over steam instead of through this.
    EDIT: My steam name is Ollimarrex

Redshadow6, daskew87 and Vamist like this.
  8. Vamist

Updated it, this is so 4 is moved to 8, and 4 is a new-ish challenge,

Edit: Improved some challenges, a little more harder and each one SHOULD have its own risk/death

Edit Edit: Hopefully fixed a few bugs,

Edit Edit Edit: I damn hope i fixed the water platform falling bug this time :L

Edit Edit Edit Edit: Done some grass, a harder 8, and i'm going to make a harder version of this one tomorrow,

Attached Files:

daskew87 likes this.
  9. Olimarrex

Here's the first of those sneaky plans >:D, if you thought trying to climb up a vertical tunnel with spikes on either side was hard, try doing it without being able to see! 25252525:thumbs_up: 78787878:thumbs_down:

Attached Files:

daskew87 likes this.
  10. Potatobird

I dunno whose map is on the server right now, but it's only for true masochists. I was not worthy. Number five will haunt my nightmares for quite some time, I'm sure.

...Argh, and I was so close. I literally had my grapple attached to the final block with the victory tunnel, and my twitchy fingers let it go.

CURSESSSSS

daskew87 likes this.
  11. Vamist

Second one, this one will be VERY HARD i hope, like so, still in progress

Edit: Finished it, this should be fine now.

Please test it and tell me where to improve stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    daskew87 likes this.
  12. Redshadow6

Redshadow6 Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

well, I thought I have to pm you but since everyone is posting the maps here imma do it as well #fuckthepolice

Attached Files:

daskew87 likes this.
  13. daskew87

-CONTEST NEWS-
    news.jpg

Some great news for you all:

!!!The server is now on 24/7
    Thanks to @Aphelion helping me create a change to challenge.as script, all players now spawn as archer all the time - non of that game breaking knight business when I'm not there! (note: also, thankyou to geti and blackjoker for your suggestions on how to solve this issue, I'm sure they both would have worked great too :))

!!!New maps added!
    I have added new maps from @Vamist, @Olimarrex & @Redshadow6

!!!Server name change
    servername.png

-Here's a peak at the latest added map::

(This one is halarious)
    screen-15-11-24-01-12-57.png

[If you wish to make your submission to the contest, PM me your map!]

!!!Special News for map-makers

You can now use sharks and Bison as much as you want. Aphelion has helped me make them invincible - so pesky challengers will not kill them ruining your maps.
    :spam::bison:

--------------------------------------------------
    ~The first contest scores and reviews post will be coming sometime soon

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    Blue_Tiger, Psiklaw, Vamist and 4 others like this.
  14. Redshadow6

Redshadow6 Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

Next one ;3

Attached Files:

daskew87 likes this.
  15. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

mmmmmmmmmmmmm cant play brawlhalla, time to get busy rekking these courses.

I beat it!
    [​IMG] For the record, I beat it before cuci :3

I really liked this map, especially the jump from the "forest" where you need to use your momentum to get to the island (I kind of wish this was the only way to beat it instead of being able to grapple up) and the DRAGON :D!

Although, I didn't like that the first challenge was so difficult - it was probably the hardest with the exception of challenge 5 whereas the first challenges are supposed to lure the noobs in for hours of never beating the course. Also, challenge 2 is more of a grind than a challenge, but at least it makes for an easily beat challenge when you learn where the tunnels are. There's also no gloating tunnels at the end :(. I had to stand at the spawn giving people the finger instead of in my own special VIP room.

[​IMG]

Other than those mostly nit-pick details, the map is fucking epic. would r8 8/8 4 shhhuuurreee but dask is the one rating. Wot a cunt.

Beat this one too, was too easy IMO. Just a lot of low grappling, falling and stuff like that. The only challenging one was the final one (which wasn't that challenging IMO :P). Definitely prefer your latest one.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    daskew87 and Redshadow6 like this.
  16. Redshadow6

Redshadow6 Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

well, can't deny that :B):

No, serioulsy I absolutely agree with yar sxy comment, the first map is way too easy and boring
    but it's my first map so pls no h8
    I made the first one a bit harder so that there won't be too much of tunnel spamming at 2 (I could have solved that problem better tho D:)

~ Sincerely, Redshadow6 :heart::QQ::heart:

daskew87 likes this.
  17. daskew87

LEADERBOARD POST #1

:wink:

leaderboard.png

[If you wish to make a submission to the contest, pm me your map]

Scores & Reviews

-Maps by @Olimarrex

Sky - 6.7
    ACSky.png
    This was the first map submitted by oli. Wow a lot of spike action, lol.

Some elements in this map are very clever - such as both sets of stairs - part of ch2 and ch5. I think that it was very fresh to see that you can avoid hitting a horizontal spike facing out at you that's only 1 block away if you slowly get to the end of the step and let your character fall down slowly - I didn't know this beforehand, and if there are parts in these maps that help teach a player more about the game then that's a great thing. The other set of stairs where you climb up them are incredibly hard, but aren't "too" hard because it is deep into the map. I loved how you can actually jump onto a surface with a spike, so long as you just connect with the edge of it first! This makes these stairs pretty damn cool.

I believe he tried to make the map not just 100% spike based with his ingenius tunnel challenge at the end. You have to quickly activate the tunnel as you are falling to not end up in the void. This is cool.

The map could have been constructed a little 'neater' and orderly. Some areas of the map don't really need to exist - such as the spikes along the right-side of number 6. I also think the map could have scored more if maybe 1 more challenge wasn't spike-based. Instead of just 2 out of 8.

I'm very happy however to have this map on my server. It's cooly cool cool cool cool cool.

Triatholon - 6.7/10
    ACTriathlon.png
    An honourable second map from this user. It scored the same as his first, but in many ways it's a better map.

What's really cut down the score is simply how hard it is to complete. It's just too hard. The maps on this server should be very hard, but not so much that even the top-seasoned pro archers in KAG cannot even do it after 100 goes, I mean seriously.
    The best way to describe how hard I want the maps is this: That a reasonably skilled pro archer would complete them in 10-30 goes. Keep this in mind. I want noobs to have a little fun on these (not too much lol ;p), and medium players to at least be able to dream that they might finish a map. Here they have almost no chance.

The improvements over oli's previous map though were the following:

-more variety
    -more orderly (a little)
    -the overall look of it seems like a better structure

If two challenges weren't spike-based and the map wasn't unreasonably difficult, it could have scored perhaps over a 7.5.

Understand though - This is a good map. Skillfully made. Worthwhile playing.

Tunnel - unrated
    ACTunnel.png
    I decided to unrate this map because there's an issue in it that means players cannot really pass the first 25% - also oli asked me to take it off the server. A creative move however to produce a dark cave map. I like innovation, so well done on this point.

-Maps by @Redshadow6

Challenge - 7.6

Challengebyredshadow.png
    F*ing wow. When I first loaded this map everyone was stunned. It's dynamic, funny and varied. Needless to say this quickly became one of the most popular maps on the server.

The first challenge was both clever and entertaining - you have to pin-point yourself accurately above a shaft of spikes to drop down not to be sliced appart. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL. If you fall too far deep into that nice leisurely pool at the bottom you'll get caught under one ways and drown in a dark lonely compartment. Hahaha. This made me laugh. Now this was a clever-ass challenge, it really was.

Another part that sprung out to me was challenge 3. Clever-ass, and funny-ass again. You must run quickly through a shaft of stone-block spikes popping out and stop running at the exact right moment, for next to all these spikes were one-ways and run a little too far and you reach a dead end - aint nowhere to go now son, you're dead, you missed your stop.

I'm going to try to be critical now for the purposes of balance.. I found challenges 6 and 7 to be in-comparisson to the Indiana Jones brilliance of before, lame. Well they weren't lame, just not as good as the rest. Too easy. Well 6 wasn't that bad; I appreciated the careful wall climbing factor, but 7 held no grace for me. The water-ways were too short.

I will say also that if the neatness of the map was increased it could have receieved nearly a 9/10. (neatness: islands not looking too random in size and distance from each other etc. They can certainly vary, but vary in a way that doesn't look sloppy)

One excellent thing about this map is that it had a nice range of different missions. They were different to each other and this really helps to tell a story and keep players highly interested.

Well this was a hefy-sized review, but well-deserved due to how freaking boss this level is.

Challenge 2 - 7.3
    challengebyredshadow2.png
    I found this creation to be a similar story to redshadow's first map, except the following: Less variety; No particular (extremely) cool challenges. Rs had 2 major hits on his first one. I cannot really say the same here.

What I like a lot about this mapper's style is he attempts to come up with other trials that don't rely on spikes. It's generally okay if 50% or even 60% of a map to be filled with spikes. But anymore than that usually takes-away from the interest factor. This isnt necessarily a stern rule; just a guideline. I am sure it's possible to create a map with 100% spike challenges that are so dynamic, diverse and artful it doesn't even matter. But this wouldn't be easy. I do feel even on this map maybe 1 more of the challenges should be spike free.

Let's vicously attack this level some more eh: There is the same mini-issue the other rs map has - needs more neatness with positioning of islands and other aspects; also there are scruffy fragments in the terrain that don't need to exist. I will end the critism here.

And start the praise! The dragon cave is incredible and adds an extra 0.5 points to the score based on it's aesthetic qualities. Also the tunnel system in the cave is a big positive due to it's originality. There's a deadly tree jump for ch3 - probably the hardest feat to acomplish in the level, and I think is very appropriately placed, and the map as a whole is about the right amount of difficulty.

Not as good as the first map redshadow, but currently a forerunning submission.

-Maps by @Vamist

Rawr - 6
    Rawr.png
    There's a lot of disorganisation in this map. A lot is uneven, and not in a good way. Some parts look rushed. I actually had to correct 2 parts so that they were possible to progress through, however for this one I will not mark it as "unrated".

Okay so I got that off my chest. What do I like about it? Well I think the map is really pulled up by the diversity of the structures. Each challenge looks pretty well defined from the last, so this is spot on. Infact vamist has made the best maps so far for this particular aspect - a very key aspect.

What I would love to see is the micro detail being toned up. I would like to see more precise consideration when it comes to laying out the finer details and mechanics of the individual challenges - so they work correctly. This is the biggest area to be improved.

Clem - unrated
    Clem.png
    The map is unrated because there are a few places that I had to change in order for it to be possible. I won't go through those parts.

I think if a possible version of this map was submitted it would have scored about a 5.5.

There are some nice parts in the level that I've not really seen anywhere else. The spikes in ch3 are kinda nice. They don't seem possible at first, but then you experiment a little and find out that there is an actual way. I'm not 100% sure the mapper did it on purpose though. What I am quite sure he did on purpose was a slick water void ch4. This is nifty and again I like the fact that I've not seen this before. Some of the last parts in ch5 look impossible, but actually all but one of them are possible. There is a grapple technique you can utilise to get through. However I can't really assign credit as what with some bits in this map not being possible, I'm not entirely sure it was intentional.

What I didn't like so much was the haphazard nature of how most things were placed. Some challenges as I expressed earlier, were impossible, and some challenges were almost as easy as walking on a flat piece of dirt. I feel like not a staggering amount of thought was introduced in the production.

Well to summarise, I like almost about as much stuff as I dislike here. But ending on a high-note, vamist has done well in making the level really feel like it has different diverse segments, and this is a style I really appreciate so well done on that one.

-Map by @malfunction

Testers - 6
    testers.png
    Every challenge is just about spike-based. I spoke to malfunction about this and he said he hadn't yet found out the colours for many of the blocks in KAG. I then pm'ed him the map colour pallette. So I'm looking forward to his next submission.

What do I have to say about this level? Heck, let's start off mentioning a cool thingy - he has 'alternative routes' in some of the challenges, and they are implemented very well. No problems here, and what a good idea.
    Ooo lets state a downer now; I the first challenge is unsightly. The lines of dirt aren't the prettiest thing I've seen in maps, but like with the overuse of spikes problem, this also has an explanation: The bodies and arrows from players dying in the first level would pile up and cause most people to lag. Malfunction was aware of this and decided to tweak things until it wasn't an issue. For this he gets some props, well observed and dealt with. Still, it's not easy on the eyes and I thought one user said it best when they stated something like this: "it's bad to have a meat grinder on the first challenge".

The difficulty of the level is too hard. Not by a great deal, but certainly somewhat. In places I believe you cannot pass without taking damage. Argh! Check for these spots guys!

This was really a test level by malfunction and considering his troubles with unknown block-colours this is a highly-admirable map. I am cautiously excited about what might come next from this guy.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  18. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

rates easy map i beat in 10 tries 7.6
    rates one of the best maps ive played with tonnes of cool stuff, a lot of difficulty and took me over an hour to beat 7.3

[​IMG]

daskew87 likes this.
  19. Redshadow6

Redshadow6 Bison Rider
    1. FUN Servers

This one might be not very difficult but I was just noodling around with some ideas :>

Attached Files:

daskew87 and Blue_Tiger like this.
  20. daskew87

-CONTEST NEWS-
    news.jpg

5 headlines today

!!!Score Change

Almost as soon as I made the first leaderboard post I grappled with myself about redshadow's second map. I felt that I didn't score it high enough, so I went over it again and realised 7.8 would be a fairer score, not 7.3. This means now redshadow is still leading but with his second map, and his best score is up 0.2 points from 7.6!

leaderboard.png

!!!New Maps Already

Today I have received 2 new maps. I will wait a little while before creating a new leaderboard, to allow some more submissions to come in. I don't want to give away too much, but these two new maps are both superb and improvements from the corresponding users previous best work :wink:

!!!ANIMALS ANIMALS ANIMALS

I feel like people haven't noticed from the last news post: Bison and Sharks are invincible in this mod! So feel free to use them in maps. I won't be anymore pushy about this now ::D:

!!!The Case of Sawmills and One-ways

Well thanks to the beautiful @blackjoker77777 sawmills and one-way blocks are now invincible and will not be destroyed by arrow fire. This is a very satisfying improvement to the mod and will mean levels retain their integrity even moreso.

!!!Best Times Recorded
    stopwatch.jpg
    I am trying to find a clever modder to help me get this to work. So that well.. the fastest completion times get recorded. If you know much about this be a goose and contact me :rollseyes: :heart:

---------------------------------------------------
    [Do you want to join the competition? Want to get your challenge map hosted? Anyone can enter. Go to the first post in this thread, check out the map format, make your map and simply send it via personal message to daskew87. Then see how high you get in the leaderboard in the next official board post]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015