1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Campaign/Quest mode?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by killzonea59, Jun 15, 2011.

1. killzonea59

killzonea59 Guest

I know KAG probably wants to keep its piece of originality, but I'm not gonna lie that I fancied Terarria's idea of having a coop adventure theme of building your own shelter and going out exploring a world full of monsters and etc.
    Does anyone else see this a pretty decent idea?

2. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Well,why not!There could be couple of types that you can play.I like art building for example but there is no such server whit no gold and forbidden killing...(might make one,but this second thing bothers me!)
    Here was one nice try on empty server http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2268/beforekag.jpg before 2 ID**** came and
    have done this http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9692/afterkag.jpg
    Forgot the names of 2 good guys that helped me :( but didnt forget the names of 2 bad guys!Well,time for a fresh start :D
    Lost only 40-45 minutes of hard work,but it is time for a fresh start!

3. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

Adding this would be good competition for terraria,CONVERT THEM !!! :)

4. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

I think that most difficult thing to make is AI...And why to copy another game whit content?Why not to add things like "Protect The Castle" where dragons start to attack you and you build catapults to shoot them down(dragons are more cool than monsters XD)
    Or find a sack...There are two teams and there is only one sack somewhere underground and you need to dig tunnels and search for it but the best part is that you wont see your enemies until they reach your "aura" thing...You dig tunnel and suddenly you see them 2 blocks above you :O is it to late to do something?
    Or competition who will build more stone blocks in height in 5 minutes or something like that but one team are all archers and they try to stop you in your quest...
    Or there is a castle in the middle of the map and there are 3 bags in it and both teams have everything exactly the same!You need to penetrate (lol) it and get those bags! No re-spawn,what you get,you play whit that!10v10 or how many players are on the server...
    Or the best one "Trap it!" two teams need to build a castle in 3-5-10 minutes and after they finish/are out of material,they spawn in opposite castles.The trick is that they each have marked area of how big the castle need to be and they have 5-10-15 decoy blocks that explode/shoot arrows/throw naked girls on the guys who break those blocks!Something like maze,but the point is that it will NEVER be the same and it is not computer generated!Strategy is most important thing,in building and in destroying!
    This is like cartoons,nothing is impossible,only thing that can stop your idea is developers limits in his knowledge,time,imagination how to solve some problems etc.
    Hope the devs will see this and say a word or two about it!
    In my free time,i build cars,create things and i love to talk about it!

5. ArtCrusader

ArtCrusader Guest

One word: trenchwar

6. killzonea59

killzonea59 Guest

I'm not saying 'copy' another game. Does Call of Duty copy campaign mode from any other FPS out there? No, making a game have a campaign or quest mode with coop wouldn't make it the 'same' as Terraria. It'll be different because the game itself is different. We have ladders we can build unlike Terarria. We have different stone structures. And If I'm correct, this game was being developed before Terraria even came out. So it'd still be an original idea, someone just got to it first ;).

7. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I think that KAG combat is a zillion times more interesting than Terraria combat.

I know it's often folly to make comments on what is or what is not easy to program, but I would assume, based on my minor experience with gamemaker, that it wouldn't be too difficult to make enemies that buzz around or enemies that run straight towards you and jump when they hit an appreciable gap or wall.

8. ArtCrusader

ArtCrusader Guest

@Contrary: You would be surprised how simple most AIs are.

9. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Well,it is not hard to make them to run around,try to get you if they detect you when you are close etc.But when they get stuck in a hole and keep jumping for ages and they cant build ladders to go up,or if they are "monsters" and they dont do that but just wait somwhere and you build ladders over them and voila...Dont know,i just cant imagine AI that can be fun or interesting enough to play whit in this game!
    On the other hand,some flyng,fire breathing creatures that can destroy stone and dirt and those green blocks or some moles that can dig thru everything...
    Agh,something that seems boring and not fun,can be interesting and fun :l
    Most important thing is that we dont know how far will they go,what will they do etc.
    Someone asked somewhere about cannons and they dont realy like the idea cause it is not from that periond in history...
    When you think about it,it is war and slavery as it was in the past only whit caracthers that are not humans.
    Lets wait and see what the devs will say.
    Or we can all put some ideas on the screen,pick couple of them and vote AND post it on suggestions page on www.kag2d.com! Just to prevent all those "zomgwhatifyouputlambosandskylinesandgrenadelaunchers" posts on threads that are called "What music do you listen to..."
    I would like to open a thread about it and keep it clean from posting same or similar ideas and other cr** etc. but is that possible??

10. ArtCrusader

ArtCrusader Guest

It is not necessary to make the AI dump. Smart AI is possible. Really. The monsters can be "aware" (put into quotes, because they have no real consciousness) of their surroundings just like they can be aware of the presence of a player. Since the whole game is made of square blocks, calculations concerning jumping around / falling into holes is easy. I would really enjoy playing a gamemode where one team is human and one is controlled by AI. There would be no balance issues, because 1 player means 1 bot, and one team would be the defending one (building a castle, defending it and mining gold to win) and one would try to break through the fortifications and steal all the gold. Heck, with AI, there could be zombie servers, and with scripting even small RPGs!

Of course this would be a really big feature and would require a lot of time and adjustments to make it work, but it is a rewarding one. Because lets face it: what do you do when noone is on your server? Right.. leave.

11. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

+1 to that.Dont know about AI and how "smart" they can be.Never have seen have it works.I can imagine in theory how it works and how it can be done,but i cant find a game that AI is well balanced so it is not to hard or not to easy to play whit...
    Whit people you never know what they will do each round,whit AI (if it is just basic,lets say dumb)is all predictable.Even huge gaming corporations have difficuties whit them :S But it didnt happen once that one guy made what seemd impossible to be made!
    I will stay whit KAG no mather what they do!Even now it is loads of fun and close to "perfect"!
    Gimme some naked 3 pixel chicks and you have me for life :p

12. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Uh that was kind of the point of my post?

13. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Simple is not good enough for KAG :p
    Can we wait a bit whit this topic till they make some progress whit other stuff first?Resolve few bugs,lag etc cause people will stop writing and it will be forgotten and we will have 70 of similar ones XD Just bump it when we see it is a good time?

14. ArtCrusader

ArtCrusader Guest

And why? This is unreasonable. The devs can look at this thread and take ideas. Whether they will implement it today or tommorow, it makes no difference and it is up to them when to implement it.

15. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Ok,your the Boss :)

16. MusicMan

MusicMan Guest

Wow HA1TER, don't be that passive agressive, for every comment they say, you just don't say it won't work, but also adds in a slight way that it's dumb, come on man. Obviously, you aren't the boss either, so it's not up to you.

17. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

Don't join the forums just to disrespect a member of a well respected clan. He was having a joke, ever heard of one of those?

18. MusicMan

MusicMan Guest

Well i had a joke too :), is just that every comment is a no no, i mean, he could be more polite at least dont you think? Or at least he could say he was joking or being sarcastic (even it's obvious, i think)

19. Utahraptor

Utahraptor Guest

I would be disappointed if this reverted into a terraria clone. Unique PvP with minimalist crafting and building is what makes fun. I look forward to seeing new game modes and improvements to the current system and not a single player overhaul or a giant crafting tree. The only thing I would think would slide is a co-op survival mode with attacking bots.