1. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Can't get my server onto the browse list

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Thorn, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Thorn

Thorn Guest

Hi there, me and my friend tried to set up a server for people to join but it would not show up on the "browse server" list. We added KAG.EXE as an exception in Windows firewall as well as making exceptions for the 50301 port on both TCP and UDP. We also added the same ports to port forwarding within the actual router settings. We still couldn't get it on the list. Not sure what we're doing wrong. I'm not too savvy about network stuff so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. poe

poe Shopkeep Stealer

The website or game server list?
    What is the name of the server?

3. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Can you join the game by typing the IP in "Join game" option?

4. Thorn

Thorn Guest

I am referring to the game server list. I will try directly connecting via IP and get back to you guys about this next time I try to set up the server.

5. Thorn

Thorn Guest

So we tried connecting today over LAN and we failed. I started a game and my friend tried to join, and it simply says "Cannot connect to server". I tried creating a dedicated server (which finally got us on the browse list), but my friend on LAN could not join it, with the same error message occurring. We will try connecting over the internet via direct IP next week and post the results.

6. Snow

Snow Guest

So, I'm the friend Thorn was referring to. We've tried everything. Both of us have ports open on both our systems and routers. First we tried connecting to both private and dedicated server at his place, basically on the LAN, then online from our places. I still couldn't connect to his private (via IP) or dedicated from my location and the same for him trying to connect to my private and dedicated. Neither of us have any experience setting up a server or starting an online game.. is there something that we're both missing? We do have servers showing up in the master list finally, but otherwise we just get the standard "connection to server failed" message trying to join either of the servers. When I was at Thorn's place, it would allow me to join his dedicated, but boot me immediately after.

7. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Try the latest test version - maybe it was some bug in netcode.

Or here's an idea - put yourself in DMZ on routers and then try.

8. Thorn

Thorn Guest

We tried it on build 67 today. We both tried connecting to each other with our DMZ's open, but we still get the same error: "Connection to server failed". Not sure what we're doing wrong. This is really puzzling. :\

9. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Hmmm, since you were in DMZ only thing that comes to my mind is that you had some firewall running or tried to connect with wrong IP/port.

10. Thorn

Thorn Guest

Like I said in the very first post in this thread, exceptions were added to the firewall for both KAG.EXE and the 50301 port, so the firewall shouldn't be interfering. This port was also added to Port Forwarding in my router settings.

*shrugs* And at least I know it's not just me, because Snow gets the exact same errors.