1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Change Sound Volume bar to SFX Volume

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by epsilon, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
?

Should this be changed?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

Currently in KAG there are two volume bars: Sound Volume and Music Volume. Sound volume controls all sounds (including music) while the music volume only controls music.
    Instead, the 'Sound Volume' bar should be changed to 'Sound Effect Volume' (or SFX Volume). This bar should only control the sound effect volume, such as footsteps, items, buttons, etc. Even without the 'master' control you can still change the volume but it's done independently.
    This would be useful if you wanted quiet sound effects but loud background music, for example. Previously if you lowered the sound volume bar it also lowered the music.

Psst... There is no need for anyone to comment that it's too minor for it to be changed. If the devs have time and like the idea it should be changed imo.

2. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Be cool if you could also change he overall sound (like it is now) and then both sfx and music.

3. epsilon

epsilon Assonist THD Team Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. Gather Oceania
    2. KAG World Cup 2018

I was thinking of that but you will still be able to do that with only two sliders. If you want all volume to be quieter you just lower both sliders down by the same amount.
    Only having 2 sliders will also save the devs some time coding since all they would need to do is change what sounds get lowered (yes, I know it's harder than that), rather than also adding an extra bar.

It would still be nifty though.

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Unfortunately, due to "programming rarely works like you'd expect", it'd be just as much work to add a separate SFX slider as replace the volume slider with an SFX slider. Currently the sound handling is actually a bit of a mess, but the volume slider controls the overall mixer volume, and the music has its own volume on top of that. The SFX all go into the mixer (along with the music) so their volume is only affected by the mixer volume. Adding a separate volume slider for them is possible but not attractive; either way I'll put it on the list but I can't say it'll get any sort of priority.

in my experience you generally either want the game muted, or the music muted so you can put your own music over the top (or you just find it distracting). I'm not sure of a real use-case for just turning down the sound effects but not the music, it's "more flexible" for sure, but not necessarily more useful.

FYI if you've been getting this on your suggestion threads, take it as a hint that maybe you're being a little free with your suggestions or not thinking them through ;)

PUNK123 and bru-jaz like this.
Mods: Rainbows