1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Classic Actually Probably Final Build 569 + Insight

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

IF YOU SEE NO SERVERS AND NO AUTOPATCH, PLEASE DOWNLOAD AND REINSTALL KAG FROM HERE:
    SOME BUILDS MAY HAVE BEEN CORRUPTED AND WILL NOT AUTOUPDATE. WE APOLOGISE FOR ANY HASSLE CAUSED BY THIS SLIP UP, THOSE RESPONSIBLE HAVE BEEN SMACKED ACCORDINGLY.
    More bug fixing went on these past few weeks, with both good and exhausting results.
    • Support wierdness fixed + vars added
      - support_added_vertical = 1
      - support_cost_ladder = 8
      - support_cost_bridge = 4
      - support_cost_castle = 4
      - support_cost_wood = 3
    • Fixed Beeping in console + potential crashes from that.
    • Fixed bloody spikes are dark
    • Fixed more % related issues
    • Massive optimisations (50+ player servers shouldn't beat up your CPU quite as much)
    • added swap_team_cooldown variable for team switching (to prevent rapid swapping abuse, defaults to 1 min, a value of 1800)
    • reworked autobalance logic a little (now based on time since join)
    • added balance_teams_on_nextmap variable, balances the teams based on score at the end of each match (or should, this one may need more testing/attention)
    • Fixed spikes blend players when moving sideways (slight push backwards added).
    • Fixed shonky raycasts
    • Fixed attacking around corners
    • Fixed attacking upwards/downwards
    Overall, this is largely a bugfix build again to help make sure the intermission before any public release of the scripting build is as enjoyable as possible :)

As an insight into development, a few words on where we're at:

We've been working hard on the scripting build of course, but we've decided over the last few months to "do this right" - we could have finished the game in a matter of weeks a while ago by hacking in a ballista, porting the fire stuff to the normal build and adding a fire arrow item, but we decided to recode the vast majority of the game in scripts in order to gain experience with networking a scripted system, and to ensure the game can survive long after we can afford to continue working on it.

This means that there will be none of these legacy bugs will carry over to the final full version of KAG, and that any new or persisting bugs will be visible and able to be modded away or at least brought to our attention. Its been amazing seeing what modders can do with the current config-file based interface, we're excited to see what happens once we throw a scripting interface with a large collection of examples at you!

Obviously, doing things the right way comes at a cost. We are currently actually months past our initial deadline - while we've been able to get around that and have the freedom of the game being "done when it's done", it still feels like it's taking forever on our end, as well as on yours. Please don't feel that we're being lazy or that progress is not being made - Michal and I have been working furiously long hours (minimum 8, usually 10-16 hours each) every day for the last few months, suffering and working through burnout and illness (and in my case, the end of semester and exams at the same time). We want to see this done even more than you guys do, and we want to see it done right. Bear with us while we do that ;)

Max/Geti

2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

As always, it'll be a while before the build actually hits you guys, here's a nice picture of the build server's view of progress:

http://grab.by/hkOK

Whenever each of the nodes complete, a different platform will be able to patch. All of them should be done in 20 min or so.

delankski, Stevedog, fubz and 2 others like this.
  3. laurentiu

laurentiu Ballista Bolt Thrower

We ain`t going nowhere.

We are here to stay and assist you in making a great game that already is.

3e0jUn likes this.
  4. FG

FG Fran Donator

10-16 hours everyday?! good work!:thumbs_up:So close till finishing.

delankski likes this.
  5. Geti

No kidding x_x alongside university for me as well.
    Glad to hear it :)

6. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

Geti, why don't you use the attach system?! You get a warning!
    Jks, great work on the build, and
    yes, this.

7. Masery

Masery is actually Maroon Donator

The real problem here is,

hats pl0x

8. Geti

FOR ANYONE NOT PATCHING, GRAB A NEW KAG.EXE FROM HERE: http://update.kag2d.com/0/win32-client-release/KAG.exe
    Ideally tell anyone ingame still using the old version to visit the forums or re-install :/ It was a massive oversight that was caught in the first few hours, but naturally that's the time that everyone patches in.

delankski likes this.
  9. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Apparently servers might also need new kagdedi's?

10. Geti

11. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Yeah, cuz I see two servers up atm.

delankski likes this.
  12. HardPenguin

HardPenguin Horde Gibber

13. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

Thank you for the update Geti. The entire team's work is commendable, thank you very much for putting this much of work and effort into your game. It's clear that this game is precious and you want it to be just as precious to us, consumers.

You make me envious of your ability to dedicate yourself to a project for so long and so wholeheartedly.

delankski and cleggy like this.
  14. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

And this is why I love Geti even if I dont play or am around as much anymore.

[​IMG]
    Ignore the Brandon part, too lazy to make a new one.

rocker2, GloriousToast and delankski like this.
  15. Quimbo

Quimbo Shopkeep Stealer

16. Madman217

Madman217 Horde Gibber

Seen that bug before, it's a bomb glowing green that keeps fizzing like it's going to go off at any second. :huh?:

Anyway can't wait for the new release.

delankski likes this.
  17. FranticIch

FranticIch Let me be your tank... Donator

DaFuQ? Is it only beo´s or... others too? I jumped from a tower that reaches the sky... lost no lives... tryed again, lost one life, tryed again... lost no lives... I´m not the only one who noticed that :huh?: :p

18. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

That build has just fucked up my game :(
    I unstalled it,downloaded again,reinstalled,when I run it,it doesn't update,just open and crash.

Can someone help me? ://

19. FranticIch

FranticIch Let me be your tank... Donator

Erm, sounds like you made something wrong... Just download this and place it in the C/KAG folder...http://update.kag2d.com/0/win32-client-release/KAG.exe

20. Frantic, I made some tests too. Falling from highest possible point in map takes away 1 heart or 0. From what I noticed, it happens only on Beo's WAR server.

delankski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.