1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[collaboration] The Waste Kind - mod

Discussion in 'Requests' started by 8x, Jan 1, 2016.

1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

So for around 2 months I've been working on a mod idea I always had: Kag with guns. I started working on the sprites and animations of a character and then I got obsessed with making tiles and maps. I've been in contact with Chrispin and zerd, both are nice players and know coding, and they've helped or advised me during this time, but aren't working on the mod. Chrispin made the first character operative and added a couple of tweaks that fit good. Zerd has been answering to my questions and giving advice as well. I don't know coding, but I can read, modify and copy paste something if I understand it.

Industrial01.png

The first stub
    :

The game mode is based on CTF. It would have 1 class only, which carries a weapon that can perform single shots, 2-3 shots per 2 seconds, and ideally would have a secondary simple parry attack and a throwable explosive item. The maps would be pre-defined, with solid environment, bunkers and buildings that encourage both teams to conquer them and camp rather than running into the enemies like zergs. I wanted it to be a game of cover, gather friendlies in a same area, spray bullets, then rush to conquer. The art of the tiles, the sounds and the maps would offer a different feel, so as not to think you're playing KAG with reskins. There's for instance some passages in which you can't see but shadows and silhouettes.
    Check the images at the spoiler on the bottom.

What's done:

- Most of the character animation and sprites (it's based on the archer, thus playable but not 100% operative atm). It's 3 tiles high and 2 tiles wide, the shape is not defined yet, it still has the 7.5 radius of vanilla characters.
    - A lot of specific solid blobs that offer custom yet simple mechanics and different feeling: 1 tile slopes (triangles), 2 tile slopes, red and blue static lanterns, bouncers, 1,5 tile windows, 3 tiles doors, 2 tiles vertical doors (called wheel door). These blobs are for the map making, you can't deploy them.
    - Around 150 custom tiles (at World.png, not blobs): frontground, solids, background and decoration. Most of them are operative and have been implemented on the PNG loaders. And a few replace the vanilla ones and have custom footstep sounds when you're on them (snow, wood, gravel so far).
    - 10 maps
    - Footstep sounds, 100% operative.
    - Tweaked some vanilla blobs to be undestructible.
    - a simple Background.
    - a test with the resource MachineBow (resource n.301)

What's needed:

- The character shooting, with its cooldown between shots. (I believe there's several ways of accomplishing it. So far I tested the MachineBow resource and tried to make it work like that without success)
    - A custom "hit detection" for bullets/arrows; as the characters would cover and crouch, reducing the hitting area, something like in TR
    (- The character secondary attack :rollseyes:).
    - Items and realistic ideas on items.
    - Modify the CTF rules.

What's planned:

- More maps, tiles and blobs like sound emitters.
    - More custom sounds

So far, and not knowing where the project will lead, I really have to say thanks for their help to:
    Asumagic, Chrispin, Geti, Mazey, Skinney, Verra and zerd. :wink:

If you want to make a collaboration within this project please send me a pm. It lacks a coder, but any suggestion is appreciated, and everything is likely to change.
    I will, however, share my work and modifications in a resource, and eventually will make a comprehensive thread on how to make custom tiles, with the knowledge I gathered.

Some pictures and a gif:

city biomes
    City01.png
    City02.png
    City03.png
    City04.png
    ruinedCity01.png

mixup of biomes and tiles, and silhouette passages
    Mixup03.png Mixup02.png Mixup04.png Mixup1.png Mixup05.png
    Frontground01.png

character
    Shooting-anim.gif
    small mockup
    mock01.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Osmal, mcrifel, Gurin and 14 others like this.
  2. JaytleBee

JaytleBee Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. [Server] Sandbox Reborn

+1 for using MachineBow

king-george likes this.
  3. Croco-Dile

Croco-Dile The Reptilian Donator

Really like the sprites, I know nothing about coding except for that it's hard::P:

4. Colargolator

Colargolator Horde Gibber
    1. KAG Competitive League

I totally support this mod, if it meets my expectations when it's done, I'll gladly host a server for it C:

5. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Despite slowly, It's advancing in its development. We're picking things 1 by 1 atm, without a clear schedule or defined branches, and it might need some time to have a version that's close to something finished.
    We'll keep you informed and that server will be welcome! Don't get you expectations too high though :wink: so you won't get underwhelmed.