1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Community Projects

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by BlueLuigi, Feb 24, 2012.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This is something I've wanted to discuss for some time, I believe it belongs in this section since this seems to be the most community oriented (outside of game) section, what I want of this thread is simple, for people to post ideas (seriously thought out ideas not just something that popped into your fucking head) of things the community needs or should have in terms of projects, and it should be tagged as either 'needed' or 'wanted'.

If they're good I'll totally add them to the first post just because, so with that said each idea will be posted in a spoiler if added here, I'll start off with one of my own to get the ball rolling:

Need someone to organize and then host (it might take two people) all of the maps in a nice database, doing the same for Rules and map cycles (folder with mapcycle for each Rules).

The basic principle is so that someone coming in and wanting to host a server or check out the maps can easily come in and do so, anyone who needs upgraded maps can do so. This will need two roles:
    1)Someone to keep good organization of all of the maps, for this I would suggest Rayne, he's great about maps.
    2)Someone to host a proper place to grab them all like an FTP, I imagine this can be done for free, I could probably even offer it myself as I do have hosting I don't use on my website, but I really am not there as far as time goes to set it all up for someone who's going to do it to set it up.
    Another thing to consider is to allow some map makers uploads directly (needs a good upload system).

I would like to see a place where members can post links to their video reviews they make for YouTube of KAG as KAG evolves. I know some in the community already do stuff like this but a centralized location would be great.

I have many other ideas but this is the first thing that popped into my mind as I often review games for various websites and I like to see others review styles.

2. So like this? http://www.curse.com/maps/terraria ? Of course it's hosted bu curse so no help on where to get the server up. But i'm making sure I have the idea correct. It actually would be very helpful. At the least Someone can maintain a thread of all the maps in the modding section.

I also want to see the commentaried video tutorials team back up. I'd help with that. There are tons of tutorials to make. And we all know the new noobies need it!

3. BlueLuigi

Basically something like that yes, a place to hold maps. There was something once upon a time like that for structures on KAG, but it's probably long since forgotten.

4. A threas would be easy enough to maintain. Hell, I could do it and ppl can pm me maps if it's needed for organization. I understand that the ability to upload maps directly would be cool but that could be awhile off.

5. Kagesha

Kagesha KAG Guard Tester

BlueLuigi likes this.
  6. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Oh yeah.
    Seriously, I mean to update that, I do.
    Or rather, I will be scrapping it and rebooting it as kagstuff.com
    I need willing and active volunteers to help me set it up properly.

It runs in Drupal so experience with it is a plus but essentially it boils down to an extremely flexible CMS that allows almost anything to be done through the UI. I can give a crash course to anyone that wants to help.

Initially I just need ideas and help deciding on sane structural stuff for the site.

Primary thing I'm aiming for is easily searched (good categories are key) content, with decent advanced user features.
    Example of advanced feature: you could create your own custom list (public or private maybe, though not sure privacy is necessary) of maps, and have those maps displayed as a simple list of file download links so you can easily download a complete map cycle.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  7. BlueLuigi

Sounds like a good solution for the first problem I had in mind. I'll post more things the community would need /want as I think of them, I had some before but they've slipped my mind. I know that a 'want' from DUZ is a Clan database of Active/Inactive members, I'll PM him to get more details if he wants it added here. There's of course the structure/map builder, but it's already been picked up by someone.

8. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Ohhh that's actually something I'm thinking about equipping the forum with.
    There's a $40 add-on that'll do a lot of it, I just need to get around to getting it.

Essentially, you'll be able to setup user-created groups with their own admins and a mini forum.

9. BlueLuigi

Oh wow, that would solve that problems rather elegantly. That's 2/2 projects with potential solutions already.

10. Vanguarde

Vanguarde 'Most Hated' 2013

I would like to see a place where members can post links to their video reviews they make for YouTube of KAG as KAG evolves. I know some in the community already do stuff like this but a centralized location would be great.

I have many other ideas but this is the first thing that popped into my mind as I often review games for various websites and I like to see others review styles.

11. BlueLuigi

Pretty sure a thread like this exists if you mean a forum topic ;)

12. Vanguarde

I guess that is workable but I was thinking about something with a wider scale than that, like a full website devoted to it.

13. BlueLuigi

I can't reveal much about the project but some links to community made stuff might be around in the future that are more direct, so if someone does get on this it would actually work extremely well.

Vanguarde likes this.
  14. Vanguarde

That sounds awesome!

15. BlueLuigi

Another thing that's very sorely needed:
    Cataloging of build revisions and if we can keeping as many of them on backup somewhere as possible, a good example is that there is a radical change between the last builds before zombies and now having zombies, radical changes, if someone wanted to host a server of the ones right before this, it's too late unless someone saved an older linux version somewhere for the server and then all the versions for playing (at minimum linux server windows game).

I was going to attempt this but didn't have the raw space, time to make sure I got all the updates, ability to update the linux server as I go and then take it back to my thing (You have to update it it seems cause you can't just download the 'latest' .rar per se).

16. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

Clean up the new classes thread.

Any volunteers? XD

BlueLuigi and Kouji like this.
  17. We need a Kag apocolyptic survival handbook for this new update.... :p i havent seen many people getting over 10 and they are frustrated!

18. BlueLuigi

Most of the fun of zombie games (What little there is IMO ;) ) is figuring it out yourself ;) Test, test, test!

Tat said , I'm sure someone will do it soon.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97